Breakaway Nov 2017

Nicoleb789

The rule of thumb for NY sailings that time of year is to pack layers from early winter (but usually not deep winter) gear for embarkation/debarkation days, some more fall clothes for evenings and some of the sea days, and shorts/tee shirts and summer outfits for the middle of the cruise, especially during the day. A sweatshirt is a definite good idea, as is a windbreaker.

There are a lot of conflicting reports based on the particular daily weather patterns and peoples' personal preferences for hot/cold weather. Some people say it's pool weather by the afternoon of the first sea day, while others claim they didn't even feel warm in Florida. The key will be looking at the weather forecasts for the ports and NYC the couple of days leading up to it and judge from there.

Some food for thought, though, NYC experienced 60+ (sometimes even poking at 70) degree weather the post-Thanksgiving weekend for the past 2 or 3 years now, so not to jinx anything, but here's hoping the trend continues this year.

On another note, welcome to Cruise Critic, and please join the Roll Call for the sailing!

Hi,

I know everyone wonders about what to pack because of the weather but after doing this cruise about a dozen times the one thing I have learned is that the weather may be unpredictable but the inside of the ship is a nice constant temperature. Usually nice enough for shorts. So the first day plan on doing the inside stuff.

Oh, by the way we are on this cruise also.

Ruth

The rule of thumb for NY sailings that time of year is to pack layers from early winter (but usually not deep winter) gear for embarkation/debarkation days, some more fall clothes for evenings and some of the sea days, and shorts/tee shirts and summer outfits for the middle of the cruise, especially during the day. A sweatshirt is a definite good idea, as is a windbreaker.

There are a lot of conflicting reports based on the particular daily weather patterns and peoples' personal preferences for hot/cold weather. Some people say it's pool weather by the afternoon of the first sea day, while others claim they didn't even feel warm in Florida. The key will be looking at the weather forecasts for the ports and NYC the couple of days leading up to it and judge from there.

Some food for thought, though, NYC experienced 60+ (sometimes even poking at 70) degree weather the post-Thanksgiving weekend for the past 2 or 3 years now, so not to jinx anything, but here's hoping the trend continues this year.

On another note, welcome to Cruise Critic, and please join the Roll Call for the sailing!

Thank you so much. I just wasn't sure what to expect and I want to pack appropriately. We will pack layers to be sure we are prepared for any weather.

What he said! We sailed in April and it was cold. Sailed in early October and it was cold. But some were swimming by afternoon of the second day on both cruises (hot tub for me.) Second day was fantastic.

Thank you. Hopefully it will be warm enough for the kids to enjoy to water park and the rope course.

Hi,

I know everyone wonders about what to pack because of the weather but after doing this cruise about a dozen times the one thing I have learned is that the weather may be unpredictable but the inside of the ship is a nice constant temperature. Usually nice enough for shorts. So the first day plan on doing the inside stuff.

Oh, by the way we are on this cruise also.

Ruth

Thank you Ruth. We will plan for some in door activities for the first and last day. I know there will be plenty to do but this is really our first winter vacation and first cruise. Just trying to get a feel for what to expect. Do you have any recommendations for parking in NY? We are debating on parking in port for convenience, or finding other options for a better price.

Parking at the Pier is really convenient. Be sure to weigh the weather or taxis and hauling luggage around as you decide. The big benefit is your car is right there when you get back. So easy.

If you need driving instructions there are awesome ones on the NY home ports board. Or I can help. Getting in and out along the Henry Hudson is super easy.