HAL Alaska Cruise **With Kids**

JenniferHT

I am considering an Alaska cruise for next summer with two children (8 & 11). However, some people have told us that we will be vastly outnumbered by senior citizens and there will be very few families with kids. If you have done a HAL Alaska cruise, can you tell me what your experience was? Or is there a different line that you would recommend for Alaska?

We took our grandchildren 8 and 11 on AK cruise 2017 for 14 days and they had a great time. a) Hal CLub was perfect for them; b) being AK cruise, there were others their age on the cruise; c) Ak sights were great oo.

If you have time in Anchorage, I suggest taking the free bus to the zoo - the kids loved it.

harry

Have done 3 HAL Alaskan cruises, most recent one was in 2016. Lots of multi-generational families onboard and people of all ages, not just seniors. The number of kids onboard is higher in June, July, and August when most schools are out, as opposed to May and September.

Roz

We did one over July 4th holiday a few years back with our son, tons of families with kids. Club HAL was hopping but tbh it is so port intensive the only time he was there was the sea days and a couple of evenings. But HAL in Alaska in Summer is good for families.. Go for it. (y)

We are sailing HAL Noordam on 7/29 with 3 kids (ages 17, 14, and 11). Happy to report back afterwards (if I forget, send me a mesage!).

Hi, just curious as to your cabin "arrangements" as we are also thinking of a family cruise on HAL - Was there a significant discount for 3 or 4 in cabin or because of the < 13 age? Or are the kids in their own room (with 3rd person cheaper?) Or is there some other cutoff on HAL? Thanks!

Hi, just curious as to your cabin "arrangements" as we are also thinking of a family cruise on HAL - Was there a significant discount for 3 or 4 in cabin or because of the < 13 age? Or are the kids in their own room (with 3rd person cheaper?) Or is there some other cutoff on HAL? Thanks!

We have 2 cabins, and I think HAL requires an adult in each cabin. I don't think the under 13 age made any difference.... that person is still a person and seemed to price the same way regardless of who I put in which cabins. There is a price break for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin.

What did make a difference in price, however, was to be extremely flexible in cabin selection and we gave up the idea of having cabins near each other (much less adjoining). We saved about $3000 on our cruise by choosing one specific veranda cabin that my husband and the 2 boys are in, and then did a guarantee veranda cabin for my daughter and I. As it turns out, the hubby and boys are on deck 6, and my daughter and I will be on deck 4 but we are all near the same elevator. This even was less expensive than having the one veranda plus an inside cabin. We don't mind having to walk a bit between cabins and having some inconvenience for that much savings.

We have 2 cabins, and I think HAL requires an adult in each cabin. I don't think the under 13 age made any difference.... that person is still a person and seemed to price the same way regardless of who I put in which cabins. There is a price break for the 3rd and 4th person in a cabin.

What did make a difference in price, however, was to be extremely flexible in cabin selection and we gave up the idea of having cabins near each other (much less adjoining). We saved about $3000 on our cruise by choosing one specific veranda cabin that my husband and the 2 boys are in, and then did a guarantee veranda cabin for my daughter and I. As it turns out, the hubby and boys are on deck 6, and my daughter and I will be on deck 4 but we are all near the same elevator. This even was less expensive than having the one veranda plus an inside cabin. We don't mind having to walk a bit between cabins and having some inconvenience for that much savings.

Thanks so much hockeymom987 ! That is really helpful. We were looking at adjoining and putting the kids in the other room (even if one adult is named on the room) but it's really expensive as it seems the adjoining are all the same class cabins it seems. We'd rather the kids have a closet next to our nice room haha. Not sure they are old enough to be on another deck without an adult, but possibly.

Lots to think about, thanks again!

We had 4 in a verandah on Westerdam. It was fine. One bed drops out of ceiling over the king ged, the other voids out from the sofa. Both were comfortable, and although it was tight when all beds were out, they are only out after dinner, and quickly out away by the steward after breakfast. It was much cheaper for 3rd and 4th passenger in the cabin, about 1/4 of the cost for each of the first two.

We just got off the Eurodam in Alaska this season. We traveled with our grandkids (1 1/2 and 4). The young one was not old enough for Club Hal. The 4 year old was and absolutely LOVED it! According to Club HAL, there were 240 kids on board! We find Alaska always has the most kids on board - so many families book generational cruises! Our grandkids (dressed in their fineries) also joined us every evening in the Pinnacle, Tammarind or Canaletto for dinner! This is the third time we've traveled with kids and grandkids - don't miss out on life - enjoy the worldly experience without regrets!

I am considering an Alaska cruise for next summer with two children (8 & 11). However, some people have told us that we will be vastly outnumbered by senior citizens and there will be very few families with kids. If you have done a HAL Alaska cruise, can you tell me what your experience was? Or is there a different line that you would recommend for Alaska?

There 250 kids on our Alaska cruise in July. There were tons of families.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums