Ramses tour payment

For those who have taken a tour with Rames Tours, how are you expected to pay? Do they accept US dollars? We are very excited about our upcoming Princess cruise in November. After much reading on CC and research we are adventuring out and booking a private tour to the pyramids instead of using the ship's tours. I appreciate everyone's knowledge and imput, it helped immensely.

Kim

As noted by Flowrider, Ramses do not require advance deposit.

When I booked with them, they asked for our full names, ship, date of arrival and they told us that we would have to pay 'at the end of the tour when we are fully satisfied with our day'!!!

Sounds good to me!!

MC

• 2 weeks later...

I saw this posted elsewhere, here on the boards.

It is for the overnight package:

Prices per Person

2-3 Persons 4-6 Persons 7-10 Persons

300 USD 260 USD 220 USD

Includes:

 Pick up services from Alexandria Port & return (by the cruise exit door)

 All transfers by a private air-conditioned vehicle

 Accommodation in 5star Hotel

 Breakfast at your Hotel

 Private English Egyptologist guide

 Entrance fees to all the mentioned sites

 Mineral water on board the vehicle during the tour

 Lunch meal in a pyramids view restaurant in the first day

 Lunch meal at Nile view restaurant in Cairo in the second day

 All Service charges & taxes

Exclude:

 Any extras not mentioned in the itinerary

 Tipping Kitty

• 3 weeks later...
For those who have taken a tour with Rames Tours, how are you expected to pay? Do they accept US dollars? We are very excited about our upcoming Princess cruise in November. After much reading on CC and research we are adventuring out and booking a private tour to the pyramids instead of using the ship's tours. I appreciate everyone's knowledge and imput, it helped immensely.

Kim

We just got off the Celebrity Equniox and did a tour with Rames. We paid cash at the every end, nothing up front, which I thought was a positive point. And yes they took US dollars. Rames was a good company, our driver was good, our guide was good and we got to see probably more than my group could handle. Although I was disappointed in how dirty Egypt was....our Tour was Awesome. Rames Tours took great care of us and we felt comfortable and secure being with them. Enjoy.

• 1 month later...

We felt perfectly safe at all the sites we visited. As in any large city we became a little more cautious of pick-pockets when there were large crowds present.

When it was time to pay for the tour, I glanced towards the back of our van and noticed two of the men picking up their pants - they had the kind of wallets that you hide under your waistband! You could purchase those wallets in any travel store - if that would make you feel more comfortable.

Let me put this another way. I am a 20-year consular officer with the US State Department getting ready to be posted overseas for my 6th foreign tour. I am well aware of ways to "hide" money. But let me just say, no one in their right mind would walk around Cairo (or any place) else) with that much cash. Has anyone figured out a different, better way to pay Ramses tours? credit cards, bank wires, advance payments....?

• 2 months later...

We used Ramses a couple of weeks ago. It worked like this:

1) Emailed them with requirements before we went.

2) Posted a message on the roll call here, to see if anyone wanted to join the two of us with the itinerary Ramses sent back.

3) 3 other couples joined us, which decreased our trip to Cairo etc., from the Ship's $160 to $80 each.

4) Sammo picked us up at the port.

5) We went on a brilliant tour, with a guide and driver and info all the way.

6) When we returned to the port we all gave Sammo his money plus $20 each tip.

Simple, and we would all recommend them to anyone considering spending that sort of money on a cruise ship tour on a giant coach, being herded around like cattle.

Kim

Just did a fabulous tour with them. US dollars at the end of the tour. Bring money with you as finding an ATM in Egypt is next to impossible I have been told

Just did a fabulous tour with them. US dollars at the end of the tour. Bring money with you as finding an ATM in Egypt is next to impossible I have been told

There is an ATM at the rest stop, but it was broken when we were there. There was also an ATM at Le Meredian (where we stayed on our overnight tour with Moustafa), but it only gave out 200 in local currency (about $40USD).

Best,

Mia

If I may - don't know if this was addressed, but some members of a group I was organizing contacted Ramses independently and asked if they could pay their portion with Traveler's Checks, as they didn't feel safe with such a large amount of currency (which we all understand). Ramses said they could.

This led to a big problem at the end of the two days, when Ramses took us to a bank at Le Meridien to cash the checks (they would only accept cash themselves, it seemed). Basically, it worked out that every check had a 5$ U.S. charge added for cashing, which amounted to a lot of money for some who's denominations were 20s for a two day, hotel and lunch included package.

After much discussion with Mr. George, Ramses lowered the cost of the tour for those affected, which partially offset the cashing charges.

We had an amazing two days with Ramses, but be forewarned of this practice.

We wish to stress we would still highly recommend this company. Safe and happy travels.

• 1 month later...

I organized our tour with Ramses last November. I told all the people going to have US cash and they all did. It just makes things so much simpler. Carry your cash in a hidden money belt or pocket and you will be fine.

We had a great tour and were very well looked after.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
We all paid separately at the end of our one day tour. They want US cash. You will have no trouble if you have a hidden money pocket inside your clothing. I had my passport there too.

thank you ...yes that makes sense to all pay separately at the end...there are 16 of us..way to much effort for one organizer to collect it all....

• 3 months later...
We all paid by bank transfer before arrival.

:confused:

can we pay with American Express Travelers Cheques?

I think the answer to your question can be found in post #28. Sounds like they can take traveler's cheques, but it's a pain.

If I may - don't know if this was addressed, but some members of a group I was organizing contacted Ramses independently and asked if they could pay their portion with Traveler's Checks, as they didn't feel safe with such a large amount of currency (which we all understand). Ramses said they could.

This led to a big problem at the end of the two days, when Ramses took us to a bank at Le Meridien to cash the checks (they would only accept cash themselves, it seemed). Basically, it worked out that every check had a 5$ U.S. charge added for cashing, which amounted to a lot of money for some who's denominations were 20s for a two day, hotel and lunch included package.

After much discussion with Mr. George, Ramses lowered the cost of the tour for those affected, which partially offset the cashing charges.

We had an amazing two days with Ramses, but be forewarned of this practice.

We wish to stress we would still highly recommend this company. Safe and happy travels.

When we left our van, we paid in cash for the first day. They will ask for the money at the end of the trip before you leave the van. At the end of the second day, we paid for that one. I wore a money belt under my skirt waist band, so I felt very secure. You could not see it and no one could get at it without pulling down my skirt in public and unzipping and unhooking it. It is thin and you can wash it out at night in the sink to dry for the next day!

• 4 weeks later...
But I am kinda concerned about walking around Cairo for two days carrying $1500 cash on me. It's great they wait til the end for payment, but I would almost rather pay them ahead of time....

Has anyone had this experience?

In one of the emails they sent me, they stated that you can leave your money on board the ship, and when they drop you off, then go up to your cabin, get your money and go back on the dock topay them. Has anyone done this?

Archived