First cruise ever - Epic 2019

taraavo

I originally posted this in the "New Cruisers" forum but it was suggested I post in this forum:

Hi everyone. My husband and I have booked a cruise, which will be our first cruise ever, on the Norwegian Epic in the Spring of 2019. We are seasoned travelers and typically do laid back vacations (think, an AirBnB on the beach), but I got a great price / opportunity through a professional organization I belong to for a great cruise rate and I can rack up some CLE's while on board. I'm a little overwhelmed by some of the lingo and details. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm impressed with you pro cruisers and all of your tips.

I didn't even realize you could request a cabin location when booking, so it never came up. However, I *think* we ended up with a good one. We are in 10094 which is a mini suite. Is this a good location on the Epic? Any tips I need to know about the location? I am confused when looking at the deck plan about what all the categories are. For example, the section we are in, the rooms alternate MD and MC. What is that?

We have the unlimited bev package with gratuities included. I know this covers the cost of drinks up to a certain dollar value and we are charged the difference should we get a drink exceeding that value. Do we then tip on that difference? What about the mini bar on Norwegian - is it stocked and is that included in the Bevvy package?

Finally ( I think), I'm confused about Embarkation day protocol re: luggage. In reading trip reports, some people complain about lugging their bags with them while getting lunch, waiting for the room to be ready, etc. while others indicate they simply surrender their bags and then the luggage is waiting for them in the room. Do you choose? Why would you choose to lug your bags around if you don't have to?

Thanks all! I know I sound like a total Newb, because I 100% am. As I said, we are laid back and ready to roll with whatever comes our way when traveling typically. Just wanting to orient ourselves with the basics - plus planning and reading about the trip is part of the fun!

You have plenty of time to plan for your cruise and the first thing I suggest is to read the various trip reports CC members have posted on this forum about the Epic. Depending on the CC member, the Epic is either the worst of NCL’s fleet or the best.

Currently ADPMOM has been posting her review of her cruise on the Epic and has included some great tips. Here’s a link to that report. https://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=2616062 Also I wrote a trip report about my cruise on the Epic and there is a link to that report in my signature.

On embarkation day keep your carryon luggage with you and drop off the large luggage. The porter will expect you to tip him. I don’t let my small carryon luggage out of my sight because of the medications I take.

Unless you prefer high end alcohol most the drinks will be covered by your drink package. It you order something that exceeds the allowed price you certainly can tip the difference if you so desire.

Congratulations - I think you will love it! I often travel the way you do. This will obviously be more touristy than an AirBnB on the beach and may sometimes feel like cattle-herding. NCL helps that with the Freestyle concept. I like going to eat when I feel like it and choosing to avoid busy times. Be aware that some ports have little shopping villages right at the port that are built just for cruisers. Go right on through and out the other side if you want the kind of independence that you are used to. Just be sure to return on time!

I also surrender all luggage that I will not need for the few hours until my room is ready. So I keep a carry-on with swimsuit, sunscreen, dining clothes, medications...I definitely do not lug, but it does sometimes feel annoying to have my backpack in the dining room with me.

Enjoy!

I originally posted this in the "New Cruisers" forum but it was suggested I post in this forum:

Hi everyone. My husband and I have booked a cruise, which will be our first cruise ever, on the Norwegian Epic in the Spring of 2019. We are seasoned travelers and typically do laid back vacations (think, an AirBnB on the beach), but I got a great price / opportunity through a professional organization I belong to for a great cruise rate and I can rack up some CLE's while on board. I'm a little overwhelmed by some of the lingo and details. I've been doing a lot of reading and I'm impressed with you pro cruisers and all of your tips.

I didn't even realize you could request a cabin location when booking, so it never came up. However, I *think* we ended up with a good one. We are in 10094 which is a mini suite. Is this a good location on the Epic? Any tips I need to know about the location? I am confused when looking at the deck plan about what all the categories are. For example, the section we are in, the rooms alternate MD and MC. What is that?

We have the unlimited bev package with gratuities included. I know this covers the cost of drinks up to a certain dollar value and we are charged the difference should we get a drink exceeding that value. Do we then tip on that difference? What about the mini bar on Norwegian - is it stocked and is that included in the Bevvy package?

Finally ( I think), I'm confused about Embarkation day protocol re: luggage. In reading trip reports, some people complain about lugging their bags with them while getting lunch, waiting for the room to be ready, etc. while others indicate they simply surrender their bags and then the luggage is waiting for them in the room. Do you choose? Why would you choose to lug your bags around if you don't have to?

Thanks all! I know I sound like a total Newb, because I 100% am. As I said, we are laid back and ready to roll with whatever comes our way when traveling typically. Just wanting to orient ourselves with the basics - plus planning and reading about the trip is part of the fun!

Congrats on your first cruise! The mini bar is not included in the beverage package. Neither is bottled water. If you go over the $15 limit on a drink, you will just pay the difference. The gratuity will automatically be included.

We only travel with carry ons so we prefer to take our bags with us. You can give all of your bags to the porters and then you will wait for your bags to be delivered to your cabin. If you don't want to do this, you can take onboard and either keep with you or have them held until your room is ready. Sort of like a coat check. Cabins are not ready until around 1:30 to 2 p.m. If you arrive later, you can just take them with you.

Re: MC/MD - The MA and MC have bed next to balcony doors and have bathtub, and the MB and MD have bed closer to the entrance and have larger than standard shower.

Congrats on your first cruise! The mini bar is not included in the beverage package. Neither is bottled water. If you go over the $15 limit on a drink, you will just pay the difference. The gratuity will automatically be included.

We only travel with carry ons so we prefer to take our bags with us. You can give all of your bags to the porters and then you will wait for your bags to be delivered to your cabin. If you don't want to do this, you can take onboard and either keep with you or have them held until your room is ready. Sort of like a coat check. Cabins are not ready until around 1:30 to 2 p.m. If you arrive later, you can just take them with you.

Re: MC/MD - The MA and MC have bed next to balcony doors and have bathtub, and the MB and MD have bed closer to the entrance and have larger than standard shower.

Thank you for hitting all my questions!! it is a lot to take in for a first timer. I will definitely enjoy reading reviews and what not over the next several months. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

Thank you for hitting all my questions!! it is a lot to take in for a first timer. I will definitely enjoy reading reviews and what not over the next several months. Thanks to everyone for the feedback.

You are very welcome! Have fun!