London Heathrow to Southampton

sjh422

Cheapest is a National Express Coach direct to Southampton Coach Station. This will cost about £17.50 per person and you should add around £10 for a taxi to the dock. Coaches run every two hours and the journey takes about 2½ hours depending on traffic.

https://www.nationalexpress.com/en

My Delta flight arrives at T3. Looking at the heathrow terminal map it appears that the central bus station is a bit of a distance from T3. What type of transportation will I need to take to get to the bus station?

In August we have a cruise departing from Southampton. We wil be flying in a day early and will spend the night before the cruise in Southampton. Is there an affordable option for transportation from heathrow to southampton? I priced a few private cars and they were out of our price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I am arriving Heathrow on August 16 at about 10 AM and will likely use a car service for we two couples. The last time I did this the van held 6 and we shared with a third couple on our cruise (hooked up thru Cruise Critic). I have not made any arrangements yet but if this of interest you can email me at dblivaiss at Comcast dot Net and when I get to it I will confirm with you.

David

My Delta flight arrives at T3. Looking at the heathrow terminal map it appears that the central bus station is a bit of a distance from T3. What type of transportation will I need to take to get to the bus station?

You walk [emoji846]It’s less than 10 minutes and very clearly signposted. At points along the way there are probably travelators (moving walkways).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Ignore the Terminal 1 references in that video - it closed in 2015 - but it gives you the sense of the underground route from T3 and what the Central Bus Station looks like. You will see there is not much waiting room, so maybe better to grab a coffee in the terminal if you have some time to kill (although the Oxford buses are very regular).

Sent from my iPad using Forums

In August we have a cruise departing from Southampton. We wil be flying in a day early and will spend the night before the cruise in Southampton. Is there an affordable option for transportation from heathrow to southampton? I priced a few private cars and they were out of our price range. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Too bad you are not coming in on Aug. 16. We could have arranged to go together. I see you are from The Villages. I have friends who live there. (Liberty Park)

I now live in Delray Beach, Fl. Orig. from NYC

Too bad you are not coming in on Aug. 16. We could have arranged to go together. I see you are from The Villages. I have friends who live there. (Liberty Park)

I now live in Delray Beach, Fl. Orig. from NYC

It would have been great if we could have gone together. We live in the village of Sanibel and love living here.

The name of that particular Premier Inn is Premier Inn West Quay.

And yes, it's on Harbour Parade.

Probably even less than 1/8th mile from West Quay Mall - the multi-storey carpark for the Mall is directly behind the hotel.

Also only a short level walk of 5 to 10 mins, even with luggage, from City Cruise Terminal (if that's where your ship ports) and from the Nat Express coach station. Rail station is a further 5 mins beyond the coach station.

Premier Inns often don't appear on hotel booking websites, and when they do they're no cheaper than booking direct.

So use the Premier Inn link provided by marylizcat

For other options here's a précis, with useful sketchmap at the bottom

https://www.londontoolkit.com/travel/southampton_accommodation.htm

JB :)

The Premier Inn was fully booked so I ended up booking the Jurys Inn. The Londontoolkit you posted has such good information. Thank you.

I have posted on my roll call to see if anyone would like to share a private transfer service with us on May 25th from the ship to Heathrow. Our flight is at 4:15 p.m. and I would like to avoid any problems with getting a taxi at the port. I read somewhere that taxis were sometimes hard to get and with luggage etc. it would be difficult to get from the port to the coach station for 10:00 a.m. if there are no taxis. Have you also heard that taxis are sometimes in short supply at the port? I think there are three ships in port on May 25th so that could be problematic.

I have already booked the National Express bus for the trip from Heathrow to Southampton on May 3rd. If I am not mistaken they did not charge me because I am disabled (I have a mobility scooter). It was hard to tell if I was charged or not? Cost 29 pounds for my husband (senior) and I (also a senior). If they don't charge disabled it would be so much cheaper for us to use the National Express bus on May 25th. If I could be sure to be able to get a taxi to the coach station I would book the National Express Bus and save quite a bit of money.

Jury's Inn is on the other side of the city centre but still quite close.

You'll need a short (about £6 to £7) taxi ride both from the coach station and to the ship.

There are no longer reductions for seniors on Nat Express - the discount used to be subsidised by the government but that subsidy was withdrawn a few years back due to the credit crunch.

And I don't think their travel for disabled folk is free but I think your mobility scooter is, if that's what you meant.

£29 is about right for two, though it's difficult to confirm because fares vary according to time-of-day and how early you book.

Yes, for two the Nat Express bus to Heathrow on 25th would be a lot cheaper than a private transfer - the bus at 9.40am or 11.30am would suit.

But if you found sharers the difference would be comparatively small. Be sure to advise the providers about the scooter when seeking quotes.

There are actually four ships in on 26th - and they're all quite big.

http://www.southamptonvts.co.uk/Live_Information/Shipping_Movements_and_Cruise_Ship_Schedule/Cruise_Ship_Schedule/

Southampton is quite used to 3 or 4 ships in a day and there's not usually a problem getting a taxi at the pier, especially since you have time in hand.

But I believe you can pre-book a car, even for the short hop to the coach station, with www.westquaycars.com if that eases your mind.

Don't simply take a taxi from the line at the pier to go to Heathrow. Fine for a local journey such as to the coach station but very expensive for longer journeys.

JB :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thank you for all the super useful information. Booked the night at Ibis Heathrow with the help of London Toolkit - figured out how to use free public bus and will take National Express to ship in the morning. Booked private car with Smiths for the way back with a Stonehendge stop.