Booking a cruise online with RCCL

DT1304

Hi all,

I went online onto the RC website to book a cruise in December. I logged into the site as a guest at a friends house so not even on my computer. I was then quoted a price.

I came home, logged into my account as a platinum C&A member and tried the same booking. Same price.

I thought there is a discount for platinum members for a balcony cabin? Is this discount not available for online bookings?

Hi all,

I went online onto the RC website to book a cruise in December. I logged into the site as a guest at a friends house so not even on my computer. I was then quoted a price.

I came home, logged into my account as a platinum C&A member and tried the same booking. Same price.

I thought there is a discount for platinum members for a balcony cabin? Is this discount not available for online bookings?

The system no longer looks at how you are logged in to determine whether to give you the C&A balcony discount. You have to enter your C&A number when you are selecting the cruise.

If you did enter your C&A number, then it could be that there is some fake pricing scheme being applied to dilute the effect of your C&A balcony discount. For example, sometimes they advertise a price that includes an "instant discount". This should be properly named "screw the C&A member" discount. So rather than lowering the price $100, they deem it an instant discount of $100, and guess what - balcony discounts are not combinable with instant discounts! I think you see what's going on.

As Bob stated, RCCL often had these deceptive pricing schems. When making a booking on-line, do it both ways. One way with and one way without your C&A number. A few months back, I was quoted a lower amount for a cruise when I did not enter my C&A number.

Thanks for the reply Bob.

I see what is going on. Pretty much the same thing as the telco suppliers here in Australia. Screw the loyal customer but give the benefits to new customers to win the business.

Oh well, I'll go back to searching for a decent travel agent that can get me a better price and some OBC.

I find the website has a mind of it's own.

So first check prices without logging in. Write down the price and breakouts.

Then go back in and do with your C/A. See what happens.

One thing that happened to me. Over the course of about 8 months I must have cancelled 4-5 cruises and rebooked (this was before non refundable) and I noticed for a month the website would freeze on me or not process. I felt like I was being monitored.

I called and the agent informed me no such thing. But funny how after I talked with the agent suddenly after that I was able to work the web without issues.

As far as pricing goes, it is like the stock market and has its ups and downs.

I have booked many cruises on line and best way to go. You can OWN the reservation and handle things very easy.