TV on Jade Question about plug ins

barric

On many ships I have been able to plug a dvd player into the room tv. There are various methods to make this work, all depending on the type of television inputs. Very occasionally, nothing works.

Can anyone describe this for Jade?

The TVs on the Jade hint that this is possible, but it doesn’t actually seem to be.

It isn’t something that I try, and my understanding is that on NCL ships you can’t link up external devices to the TV. The sticking point is that even when connected, you can’t get round the menu system to view the input.

When we were on the Jade, I noticed somewhere on the menus that there was reference to external videos and music. I tried to investigate, by plugging my iPad in, which contained both videos and music. The device was recognised, and I believe started charging, but no media was found by the TV. I didn’t stick at it for long, and maybe it would work with a more open device.

I’ve not heard of anyone else having had success.

This was obviously using USB to connect. I didn’t notice what other connections were available. I assume that even if there was an HDMI then you’d have the problem of getting round the menu system.

From previous threads about similar issues (check the Royal Caribbean forum as I think there have been long threads on this over there) but there was mention of taking a Universal Remote to get around the menu etc. This would probably help you.

I need to know specifically if anyone has had success on JADE.

I have been able to get a DVD player to work on some NCL ships, using various methods. But not all.

Celebrity Horizon 1995 Southern Caribbean

Carnival Legend 2005 Caribbean

Disney Magic 2008 Caribbean

NCL Jewel 2010 Western Caribbean

NCL Pearl 2012 Western Caribbean

Carnival Pride 2013 Bahamas

Carnival Glory 2013 New England & Canada

Celebrity Summit 2014 Bermuda

NCL Getaway 2014 Caribbean

Celebrity Summit 2015 Bermuda

NCL Spirit 2016 Caribbean

NCL Breakaway Bermuda 2016

Celebrity Reflection W Caribbean 2017

Celebrity Summit 2017 New England & Bermuda

Just a general comment & observation from the Breakaway & Gem, with NCL's newer Sole & LG brand interactive HDTV - the default HDMI-1 input is usable & can - sometimes - be end-user disconnected and you make a direct HDMI connection, with Apple's adapter as appropriate. No switching or override with a high-end, Harmony universal remote ... as, I've seen hotel TV sets being firmware locked, timed out & auto-restart & default back to its "original" input source.

On one of the recently dry docked (Dawn/Jewel class) ship - one of the CC regular reported the upgrade TV using a locking RG-59 cable input style source, and, that would be quite a challenge except for cable technican with the extra "pro" tools on hand.

Plan B is play our downloaded/converted MP4's on the travel laptop & wireless Bluetooth powered speaker ... it's always nice to cast or stream the output to a bigger HDTV screen. On week-long road trips. I've done it using Roku stick with the WiFi override, double bridged the wireless signal & catch-up on stored/downloaded movies from Google & Amazon.