Cheapo dad’s trip report on Allure of the Seas sailing December 14, 2014

Hi, Everyone,

We came back couple days ago from a wonderful cruise. As you would expect, we have too many pictures and it takes time to sort them out from the multiple phones and cameras.

I have to go to work today but I hope to at least start the new trip report the next day or two.

I will have the new link under my signature once I start the new thread so if anyone is interested, they can click on that.

Hi Harry, welcome back.:). Looking forward to your review.

Hi, Everyone,

We came back couple days ago from a wonderful cruise. As you would expect, we have too many pictures and it takes time to sort them out from the multiple phones and cameras.

I have to go to work today but I hope to at least start the new trip report the next day or two.

I will have the new link under my signature once I start the new thread so if anyone is interested, they can click on that.

I've spend last few days reading/enjoying your review! Bring on cheapo dad part 2! Personally I love Freedom class ships and going on Allure at the end of February,

Patiently waiting...

• 1 month later...
Harry,

I love your trip reports so much that I am reading the Allure report for the second time to prepare for my March 12, 2017 sailing on the Allure. Also enjoying your Freedom report.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. You must be a major planner to have the stamina to read through both of my trip reports AND wanting to go back and reread the fist one when it’s somewhat outdated.

Think you will be too well prepared for your cruise. There are things you don’t need to know in advance and just soak things in on a day by day basis.

Have a great cruise on the Allure. That is still our family’s favorite ship.

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. You must be a major planner to have the stamina to read through both of my trip reports AND wanting to go back and reread the fist one when it’s somewhat outdated.

Think you will be too well prepared for your cruise. There are things you don’t need to know in advance and just soak things in on a day by day basis.

Have a great cruise on the Allure. That is still our family’s favorite ship.

Harry,

Your trip reports are so enjoyable to read! It is like being on vacation.

• 4 months later...
So the original grand pre planning idea was to go swimming after lunch as many of the people should still be off of the ship and the pool area won’t be as crowded. Looking outside the windjammer, we saw this.

16295988246_882225642c_c.jpg

16135731709_ea945fcece_c.jpg

16319617672_94a87680a2_c.jpg

Ehh, not exactly suntan lotion/swimming weather, is it? It’s not supposed to rain on my vacation. Others, yes, I care not, but not on my vacation where I spent big $$ and tons of planning time. Sigh!

OK, fine, so we headed back to the cabins and the family played cards for a while and I went to the back secret balcony to take pictures of the big storm now dumping buckets of rain on Falmouth. This was when I took all the miniature pictures as I had time to kill in the driving rain storm.

So we are back in the cabin and my son and my wife tried to video tape and take pictures of the driving rain storm. I know what most people are thing – this family is super weird. They act like they have never seen rain before. Hey, we are from California where we have a drought and rain is a rare event for us so to us it’s a big deal.

15703828643_71a4c66d78_c.jpg

15701293374_13c0d920c5_c.jpg

Harry - tell your wife to get that camera strap around her neck before she drops it! In all seriousness I stared to read your review after Biker19 told a first time cruiser to read this thread 2 days ago and I am only on page 18 of 66! I love your style! AWSOME! I will be going semi-live for the Oasis Total Eclipse Cruise Aug 20-27, 2017 from a CLS which is a 29th anniversary surprise for my wife from me and our daughter (19) and son (15) .

I stared to read your review after Biker19 told a first time cruiser to read this thread 2 days ago and I am only on page 18 of 66! I love your style! AWSOME!

You'll need a couple of more weekends to get through his Freedom review.

Harry - tell your wife to get that camera strap around her neck before she drops it! In all seriousness I stared to read your review after Biker19 told a first time cruiser to read this thread 2 days ago and I am only on page 18 of 66! I love your style! AWSOME! I will be going semi-live for the Oasis Total Eclipse Cruise Aug 20-27, 2017 from a CLS which is a 29th anniversary surprise for my wife from me and our daughter (19) and son (15) .

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the compliment. Glad you like the trip report but it's somewhat outdated with old info so you will just have to read it for entertainment value more than for cruise hard facts.

Have fun on your upcoming cruise. Allure is great for families.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Haha, I am not sure Mike cares to read about cruises he won't be taking. Do appreciate the referral. I will give you 5 per cent of the royalty that CC gives me for the referral clicks.

We are on the tail end of the 2,000 mile plus road trip in southwest region roasting in the 110 degree heatwave. Let me see if I can attach few highlight pics that nobody is asking for but will get regardless.

You'll need a couple of more weekends to get through his Freedom review.

52f0d78eae318b2c95217cb8cd7782ae.jpg2e03c4b2529c800774becf5c50bcce57.jpge0f8926b65eb0f99733c2536b683d3ba.jpg443ea4f4387446f75636da133df9b0b2.jpg0d490a2032865f21013687f9319b6578.jpg

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

• 2 weeks later...

Harry, new to the CC forums.

Thanks for the posting on the Allure, from December 2014.

I am sailing on her 8/13.

I realize that your review is very old, however, I was able to pick up some great information from your review and photos.

Like you, I am also a CPA and I like to be an informed traveler before my feet hit the ship.

I have been on 5 or 6 RC cruises over the years, and have enjoyed them all.

Again, thanks for the information you provided me.

Harry, new to the CC forums.

Thanks for the posting on the Allure, from December 2014.

I am sailing on her 8/13.

I realize that your review is very old, however, I was able to pick up some great information from your review and photos.

Like you, I am also a CPA and I like to be an informed traveler before my feet hit the ship.

I have been on 5 or 6 RC cruises over the years, and have enjoyed them all.

Again, thanks for the information you provided me.

Hi, David,

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to cruise critics. Glad you found the old trip report informative.

Some of the material has changed but other stuff should still work - such as being one of the largest ship in the harbor as the Oasis class ships are huge. As such, you can still yell across the harbor to all the smaller ships and say "Our butt is bigger than your butt...":p

Another fellow Finance person. Hope the spreadsheet is helpful to organize things.

I miss the Allure. Now that we are done with our annual road trip, time to plan for the December cruise. Except that one of my kid's stupid school changed their holiday schedule so now I have to cancel both of my reserved cruises and need to find a new cruise that will sail one week later during Christmas week at a much higher price. That sucks.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't care about my problem. Have a great cruise in August.

Hi, David,

Thanks for the kind words and welcome to cruise critics. Glad you found the old trip report informative.

Some of the material has changed but other stuff should still work - such as being one of the largest ship in the harbor as the Oasis class ships are huge. As such, you can still yell across the harbor to all the smaller ships and say "Our butt is bigger than your butt...":p

Another fellow Finance person. Hope the spreadsheet is helpful to organize things.

I miss the Allure. Now that we are done with our annual road trip, time to plan for the December cruise. Except that one of my kid's stupid school changed their holiday schedule so now I have to cancel both of my reserved cruises and need to find a new cruise that will sail one week later during Christmas week at a much higher price. That sucks.

Anyway, I'm sure you don't care about my problem. Have a great cruise in August.

Didn't realize you were still tuned in to the thread harryfat1. We've also been reading this review recently in preparation for Oasis in Nov. I'm sure some things will be different but the big picture advice should still apply. Thanks for putting so much work into it. It's quite enjoyable to read even a few yrs later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Didn't realize you were still tuned in to the thread harryfat1. We've also been reading this review recently in preparation for Oasis in Nov. I'm sure some things will be different but the big picture advice should still apply. Thanks for putting so much work into it. It's quite enjoyable to read even a few yrs later.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Hi, Mike,

Thanks for the compliment. Nice to know you find the info enjoyable to read.

Yes, I subscribe to both of my trip reports so whenever someone posts a new comment in either one, I receive a notification. I always feel that if people are kind enough to leave a positive comment, I should come back and respond.

The Oasis class ships are amazing. We felt that was our best cruise ever. Someday we look forward to a sailing on either Harmony or Symphony to see all the differences. You have a great cruise in November.

Harry

Hi Harry,

Just wanted you to know that even years after your trip, MANY people are still reading and highly enjoying your report! I have spent many pleasant hours enjoying your writing style, your sense of humor, your photos, and *of course* your completely adorable family. Thanks for all the time and hard work you put into it. I am cruising on the Allure in September, and now I'm even more excited than before! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi Harry,

Just wanted you to know that even years after your trip, MANY people are still reading and highly enjoying your report! I have spent many pleasant hours enjoying your writing style, your sense of humor, your photos, and *of course* your completely adorable family. Thanks for all the time and hard work you put into it. I am cruising on the Allure in September, and now I'm even more excited than before! [emoji3]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, Karen,

Thank you for the compliment. Appreciate you and the “MANY” others for reading the old trip report.

We need to give Biker the shout out for his referral as typically the older trip reports are buried deep in the archives and not everyone has the patience to dig it out from 15+ pages prior in the history.

Oasis class ships delvers a special cruising experience and for anal people like myself, pre-planning helps in knowing what to expect. Hopefully the info I have provided was useful in your research. Have a great upcoming cruise on the Allure.

Harry

We need to give Biker the shout out for his referral as typically the older trip reports are buried deep in the archives and not everyone has the patience to dig it out from 15+ pages prior in the history.

Despite it's age (and length), this thread is still the best resource for a newbie planning or going on an Oasis class ship.

I finished both this thread and the other one for inspiration planning a cruise next summer. I haven't been on one since 2012, so I'm long overdue, and not exactly sure what I want to do as far as what kind of ship, where, all that. In any case, I'm certainly thinking about a big ship now. I also enjoyed the side trip pictures as I've been to many of those places too (Badlands, Antelope Canyon, etc.). Great trip reviews!

I finished both this thread and the other one for inspiration planning a cruise next summer. I haven't been on one since 2012, so I'm long overdue, and not exactly sure what I want to do as far as what kind of ship, where, all that. In any case, I'm certainly thinking about a big ship now. I also enjoyed the side trip pictures as I've been to many of those places too (Badlands, Antelope Canyon, etc.). Great trip reviews!

Hi,

Thanks for the kind words. Wow, you plowed through both trip reports just for inspiration? The ADHD in me can’t read any trip report if I wasn’t planning on sailing on that class of ship or port. I would get bored and move to something else.

We’re biased – we like big ships. Given a choice, we prefer at minimum the Voyager class ships. I know many here at CC prefer smaller ships so it’s up to you on what you want to see on your vacation. Hope you find one that you like and happy cruising.

As for the road trip, yeah, it’s really a WOW sight to seethe rocks in Southwest region of the country. I am spending this long weekend sorting and uploading the 2,000+ pictures we took from our trip couple weeks ago. Here are few more pictures to share as I am looking at them now.

Vegas at twilight:

35565202691_a765058097_h.jpg

Bridge over Glen Canyon Dam:

35656477156_05e2709beb_h.jpg

More Antelope Canyon rocks:

35695580625_d14db937ec_h.jpg

Literally a “hole in the rock” at Monument Valley:

35695584275_a88c173b31_h.jpg

Mesa Arch at Canyonland National Park:

35656439496_b08fd547e0_h.jpg

Last one back to Monument Valley. You don’t realize how big the rocks are until you compare. Check out the cars on the road and then compare those to the big rock in the background:

34886346773_b01ffc1bc1_h.jpg

Harry

Bravo! I've read this "review" from top to bottom. It took two days. I. LOVED. EVERY. MINUTE!

Slow clap... followed by a standing O.

I can't wait to read the others.

Somehow I did a search for something, and you popped up! That's why I'm so late to the party!

Thank you! :D

Bravo! I've read this "review" from top to bottom. It took two days. I. LOVED. EVERY. MINUTE!

Slow clap... followed by a standing O.

I can't wait to read the others.

Somehow I did a search for something, and you popped up! That's why I'm so late to the party!

Thank you! :D

Hi,

Thank you very much for the compliment (taking a bow). Glad you enjoyed reading the trip report even though it’s over two ago old.

From your signature and your post, sounds like you stumbled on this by accident. I’m impressed that you stuck around to read the whole thing as the ADHD in me can’t read another trip report unless I’m doing research for my upcoming cruise.

The Allure trip report was easy to write as the pictures tell the whole story as it’s an amazing ship, I just added some comical nonsense to connect the pictures. The next report on the Freedom is just a repeat of the same jokes as my comedy writing team (of one) ran out of fresh ideas so tamper your expectation.

Have a great cruise on the Carnival Vista next year. I miss the Guy’s burgers on the Carnival ships.

Harry

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Harry,

We booked a back to back cruise last weekend on the Allure for Sept/Oct 2018 and I stumbled upon your report whilst looking at the posts about Allure.

I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your report - thanks very much for sharing your trip with us all!

😀

Hi Harry,

We booked a back to back cruise last weekend on the Allure for Sept/Oct 2018 and I stumbled upon your report whilst looking at the posts about Allure.

I just wanted to tell you how much I've enjoyed reading your report - thanks very much for sharing your trip with us all!

😀

Hi,

Thank you for the compliment. Glad you enjoyed reading the Allure trip report even if the info is now outdated. Happy to know that the trip report I wrote couple years ago will have some influence on future cruises in 2018.

Wow, how nice, a B2B on the Allure. Someday I will try to do a B2B as I hate flying across the country and one B2B cruise will take care of my cruising needs for 2 years and save money on air fare to boot. We were just talking about the Allure in the car yesterday as we are now planning our upcoming winter cruise and how we love the mega Oasis class ships (I like them BIG).

Have fun planning and sailing on your 2018 cruises. Enjoy.

Cheers,

Harry

• 2 months later...
Looking at my pictures, I must be running late that night or just to “pictured out” as I didn’t go out to the secret balcony area to take some night time scenery of Falmouth as the ship was in port until 7 PM with the “all board” at 6:15 so don’t know why I never went out that night. The next picture after the previous set is when we entered the dining room at 6 PM.

If anyone is still old enough to remember Andy Rooney from the 60 Minutes TV show, I always loved his “have you ever wondered?” series. So as we walk into the dining room and have the worker do the mandatory “squirting” of the hands for everyone that walks in, I had an Andy Rooney moment and wondered how much Purell does RCI buy annually? For you young kids reading this and don’t know who Andy Rooney is, he was the backup singer to Justin Bieber.

Per the annual report, RCI family of ships served over 3.5 million passengers during 2013 time frame. Further assume each person gets squirted by Purell at least 3 times per day at each meal time (minimum of 3 as if you had snacks, that’s another extra squirt or if you ride the carousel, they squirt you there also). If there isn’t a word called “purelltized”, I am using it for my personal edification to describe being squirted by this.

Anyway, so assume every person uses 1 ounce of this stuff per cruise being purelltized (probably more but just assume 1 ounce), that means on annual basis, we used up 3.5 million ounces or over 200,000 pounds of this. Royal must order this stuff by the boat load annually. Especially you veteran RCI cruisers at diamond level and above, you probably have enough Purell on your hands throughout the history that it had bonded with your skin to form a new layer. Anyway, just wondering as inquiring mind wanted to know…

I'm only half way through the thread and i had to stop and make a comment. This is hilarious. Glad to see they are taking sanitation seriously after outbreaks. My only question would be is their any study that looks at the benefits and/or negatives to overuse of hand sanitizing solutions. This has been almost 2 years since your original post. Its been found recently that killing of the healthy bacteria on your hands is not a good thing especially over using this product. I guess they only have your for a week so it doesn't matter but I now try to limit my use of these solution in my life to 1-2 times per day max. This is my first RC cruise and your post is going to now make me self conscious of the number of times I have to use that stuff.

I found this thread because I was looking for Information for cabin 14715. I booked this cabin several months ago but after research I started to become a little discouraged because I thought I may be too far away from the aqua theater to see it properly or I couldn't understand why my room said it had 25% obstruction. I was also concerned about the bed configuration as I prefer the sofa closer to the balcony. Your thread answered all of my questions and more. I'm was super excited you showed pictures of your cabin 14711 and 14713 and their bed configurations and also their balcony views from those rooms. I was also able to see my balcony (14715) from your photos which gave me a pretty idea of the view. I was able to guess my bed configuration :( . I had my finger on the trigger to move to 14723 since it is available but I think that will be too close to that structure that goes across the top of the ship. I now think I have the perfect location because is not too far/close and atleast i will be able to see some of the water. I wish I knew what the percentages mean as far as obstructions. Does 25% mean you you wont be able to see 25% of the aqua theater? Ships wake? Sky?

I think we both have a compulsive super anal research/planning disorder where we try to plan every minute little detail down to the last millimeter. I don't know how I will deal with the unknown changes to my itinerary due to the recent hurricanes.