Cheapo dad’s trip report on Allure of the Seas sailing December 14, 2014

Harry,

Eagerly awaiting your next trip report.

Wishing you and all your family an enjoyable and amazing cruise :)

Hi, Dani,

Nice to hear from you again. Thanks for the kind words.

We are stuck here at San Francisco airport now with a flight delay and won't get into Florida until 2 AM. Good thing we have a built in buffer of an extra day on FLL so we are still good in making the cruise. We'll just be dead tired tomorrow morning when we try to wake up.

I hope the next trip report lives up to your expectations, but just know that typical sequels are much worse than the originals. [emoji12]

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Hi, Dani,

We are stuck here at San Francisco airport now with a flight delay and won't get into Florida until 2 AM. Good thing we have a built in buffer of an extra day on FLL so we are still good in making the cruise. We'll just be dead tired tomorrow morning when we try to wake up.

I hope the next trip report lives up to your expectations, but just know that typical sequels are much worse than the originals. [emoji12]

Wishing you safe travels (late as they may be) and a great cruise.:)

Wishing you safe travels (late as they may be) and a great cruise.:)

Hi, Ken,

Thanks for the well wishes. Sorry you had to miss this cruise.

Just sitting here at SFO chilling out. At least they have free wifi for everyone at the airport by default. So everyone is connected. I will try to upload a picture but not sure if it works as I am new to tapa talk.

Maybe I should just start my trip report now with a "live" report...[emoji41]

3e6b3a908886554d8692b11ce4e8160d.jpg

Hi, Dani,

We are stuck here at San Francisco airport now with a flight delay and won't get into Florida until 2 AM.

Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear about your flight delay. I hope that by now you've reached your final destination. For our upcoming cruise out of SJ, we're taking a "buffer" of 4 days before the cruise, what with passing through NY on our way -- end of March is still winter...

I'm a sequel "creature" - on the 35th book of the JD Robb (Nora Roberts) "in death" series, Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly), Gabriel Alon (Daniel Silva), etc. etc. Very much missing Robert Parker Spenser series, but Ace Atkins does a good job...

Very much hoping that the flight delay didn't put a damper on your holiday,

Happy Holidays !!!

Dani

Hi, Patti

Thanks for the info. Yes, bad travel day yesterday with many delays at the airport. We didn't land until 3 AM east coast time and got to the hotel at 4 AM. Totally dead this morning, but that's OK. As long as we made it here.

Here's a picture just for you. 😊

690cd54dae8fa6ce3c43ec95751885a5.jpg

Hi Harry,

Sorry to hear about your flight delay. I hope that by now you've reached your final destination. For our upcoming cruise out of SJ, we're taking a "buffer" of 4 days before the cruise, what with passing through NY on our way -- end of March is still winter...

I'm a sequel "creature" - on the 35th book of the JD Robb (Nora Roberts) "in death" series, Harry Bosch (Michael Connelly), Gabriel Alon (Daniel Silva), etc. etc. Very much missing Robert Parker Spenser series, but Ace Atkins does a good job...

Very much hoping that the flight delay didn't put a damper on your holiday,

Happy Holidays !!!

Dani

Hi, Dani,

Thank you for your concern. We made it to Fort Lauderdale early this morning at 3 AM and the hotel at 4. All the things we had planned to do this morning was wiped out but that's fine. We are on vacation and we will adjust the schedule accordingly.

Here are few pictures from our hotel room.

As I think about it, I guess I am the only dummy on cruise critics that starts a second cruise report inside the original one. People must think I am too stupid to create a new thread...

Talk to you later.

b8f122ead7b5d375ef0ebe517708ac97.jpg

4e87a1163898b2f0fd22b79b86c68536.jpg

520aee5bb5ca03ba19b9316890850441.jpg

Hi, Patti

Thanks for the info. Yes, bad travel day yesterday with many delays at the airport. We didn't land until 3 AM east coast time and got to the hotel at 4 AM. Totally dead this morning, but that's OK. As long as we made it here.

Here's a picture just for you. 😊

690cd54dae8fa6ce3c43ec95751885a5.jpg

Thank you Harry! I was just online shopping for a palm tree bed comforter today (for ourselves, not a gift ;)) :D

Just post a link to the new thread on here. We (your avid fans) will all move over there.:D

Edited by Coralc

Harry! Nice to see you reporti g again! Will you star a mew thread or continue here? Just asking since I want to follow you again!

Happy cruising for you and your family

//Miryam

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Hi, Miryam,

Nice to talk to you again. How was your cruise?

Haha, oh, no, I will start a new thread when I come back. As I was saying to Dani, people must think I am the dumbest person in not even knowing how to start a new thread for each cruise.

This whole thing snow ball when I got a new post on Friday, my flying date and with various events, it somehow turned into a "live" trip report when old friends dropped by to hi.

Cheapo dads like myself would never pay money to use Internet so that'll never happen. These pictures are just for the quickies taken from my phone for fast upload. I have others in camera which I will upload when I get back.

Talk to you then. Happy Holidays.

These pictures ere taken last nigh from the phone. Love the draw bridges in Fort Lauderdale.

8bbf10b61ffc5b4c9ea032b9635c729d.jpg

10ae5e267ecc907b9e1023b32c5debd7.jpg

eac0e39c499590885d5a0b0fb240a38f.jpg

4c17d598f1b9d7602cc750844d28ee67.jpg

d97841f043cffe5c8a7599aeeaeaad7e.jpg

Edited by harryfat1

Hi,

Thanks for the compliment. Happy to hear you are enjoying the trip report, even if it’s 2 years ago when we last sailed on the Allure.

As luck have it, we are leaving for the airport today for FLL for another cruise so perfect timing to catch me before I leave town as I am too cheap to pay for Internet while on the ship.

It’s been too long since we last cruised so we are all excited to start a brand new vacation. My kids have been trained/brain washed to appreciate the things we like – exploring new places and seeing new things.

Yes, the Asian malls floors stack on top of each other due to lack of space so they build them vertically. Shopping in Asia is a different experience than back in the US.

Have fun on your cruise planning.

Have a great trip! I can't wait to read about it. I just booked Allure for Spring Break. I hope you have some sun this time and get to try the pools,etc!

Hi Harry,

Dani

Have you read Parker's Jesse Stone series? I like it even better than Spenser. I never knew Robb was Nora Roberts-- and I never expected to learn that on CC!

Have you read Parker's Jesse Stone series? I like it even better than Spenser. I never knew Robb was Nora Roberts-- and I never expected to learn that on CC!

Yes, I know about the J. Stone's series. The thing is -- the English-reading market in Israel is quite limited, and many authors, Parker included, are not available. It leaves me with ordering from Amazon, which, at the rate I'm reading, will leave me bankrupt :) The shipping and mailing is per book, even if ordering 5 from them. That leaves me with second hand books, which I order (3.99$ for shipping), for the moment, to a hotel in NY where my FA son is sometimes staying, according to his flight schedule. Whenever I get myself to the States or UK, I'm coming home with overweight - of books....

Harry, sorry to "hijack"your "live" :D thanks for the pix, FL looks like a very nice place. Small houses on the water :)

Hi Harry,

Glad to see you are back on a cruise and writing about another adventure. I am sure you said what ship you were sailing, but too many pages to scroll back through, just to see if my memory is failing me.

I can relate to the delays at SFO. Of the four trips we made to the Bay Area this year, we had two delays due to weather. However, one they held our plane at our departure airport because of the delays at SFO.

Looking forward to your report, and remember to take pictures of dirt, or something. Enjoy your trip.

Yes, I know about the J. Stone's series. The thing is -- the English-reading market in Israel is quite limited, and many authors, Parker included, are not available. It leaves me with ordering from Amazon, which, at the rate I'm reading, will leave me bankrupt :) The shipping and mailing is per book, even if ordering 5 from them. That leaves me with second hand books, which I order (3.99$ for shipping), for the moment, to a hotel in NY where my FA son is sometimes staying, according to his flight schedule. Whenever I get myself to the States or UK, I'm coming home with overweight - of books....

Harry, sorry to "hijack"your "live" :D thanks for the pix, FL looks like a very nice place. Small houses on the water :)

Hi, no worries. Post all you like. This is a community post. I enjoy comments from everyone.

We are here in port. Got our cards. Just chilling at the wait area.

Hi Harry,

Glad to see you are back on a cruise and writing about another adventure. I am sure you said what ship you were sailing, but too many pages to scroll back through, just to see if my memory is failing me.

I can relate to the delays at SFO. Of the four trips we made to the Bay Area this year, we had two delays due to weather. However, one they held our plane at our departure airport because of the delays at SFO.

Looking forward to your report, and remember to take pictures of dirt, or something. Enjoy your trip.

Hi,

Thanks for the nice words. We are on the Freedom of the Seas. Technically I wasn't planning on posting "live" but it just turned out this way as I am too happy and excited to be cruising again so I am just uploading pics like a first time cruiser!

Yeah, newbie cheapo dad cruiser!

We are here at the Port early as the shuttle driver came 25 earlier than I anticipated. But we are all good. Got our cards. Just sitting here relaxing in the non air-conditioned terminal 29. Certainly nothing as pretty as terminal 18 of Oasis class ships.

Here chilling with hundreds of new friends...19665f2a6497192ce48ef742ccf4f4bf.jpg

e46414afa0137862d606c7ee749c40bd.jpg

Oh wow...enjoy your Freedom cruise Harry. Your Allure report is one of those memorable ones. Will you be writing one for Freedom? If so, I'll definitely be reading.

Hi

Good to talk to you again. How was your cruise?

Yes, I will likely write up something when I return.

We are here waiting to board the Freedom. They made the announcement at 11 that they just cleared the previous sailing and boarding at 12 noon. They then moved everyone upstairs to wait by category level. Since we are just gold level, or as I called it in my previous report, peasant plus one, we don't get special seats.

743b06406806e8073e2ff26533aead41.jpg

Amazing. You are on your way! I am excited for you and your family.

Have an amazing cruise. I look forward to reading your report when you return.

Our Allure cruise was amazing. Such a fun ship!

PS - We are peasant plus one too so know what you mean...but "gold" sounds fancy. :D

Edited by LuCruise

Hi Harry, I finished reading your trip report two months ago. I wasn't sure where you live (I thought it was LA) till I saw your posts today (flight delayed in SFO). I think our boys went to the same middle school. I saw your younger one on the way to school two months ago after I dropped my son. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Oh, what a joy!

First you sailed Allure and helped us to have a great Transatlantic 2015.

Now you are cruising with Freedom and we are taking her over to Europe with spring 2017 transatlantic.

Have a great cruise, I will follow your report once you start it!

Hi, Everyone,

We came back couple days ago from a wonderful cruise. As you would expect, we have too many pictures and it takes time to sort them out from the multiple phones and cameras.

I have to go to work today but I hope to at least start the new trip report the next day or two.

I will have the new link under my signature once I start the new thread so if anyone is interested, they can click on that.