Key West Port -- planning a trip to Dry Tortugas

Wyoming2010

We have a stop on our cruise next year at Key West -- from 8 a.m. to 11 p.m. Apparently our cruise line is not offering an excursion to Dry Tortugas. Anyone done it independently? I'm thinking it's a sure bet we'll make it back by 11 p.m., so not so worried about timing, just not sure about who to arrange it with.

Thanks.

There is a ferry, but it actually leaves at 8 AM for the 2 1/2 hour trip to Fort Jefferson, returning around 5 PM. There are seaplane trips, but very expensive: $350 per person for a half-day tour. Someone local may have other suggestions.

The seaplane is probably your only reasonable option. I didn't see any independent operators when we were there. Just the plane and ferry. Of course, the landing gear failure on the seaplane a couple of months ago leaves some questions :)

If you think the seaplane is expensive, you're wrong. It's even more expensive: there's the tax, a $10.00 pp park entrance fee (which is included in the boat trip) and almost invariably, taxi fare from the port to the airport and back. That $350 easily tops $400.00. But, having said that it's a great trip of only for the views...

fort-jefferson.jpg

027_24-XL.jpg

022_19-XL.jpg

Pjk

There is a ferry, but it actually leaves at 8 AM for the 2 1/2 hour trip to Fort Jefferson, returning around 5 PM. There are seaplane trips, but very expensive: $350 per person for a half-day tour. Someone local may have other suggestions.

So you get about 5 hours or so at the fort and surrounding area? Is lunch included?

We'll have to wait and do this on our separate visit to Key West while doing the Keys. I could never do a seaplane, so that's out.

The above pictures, BTW, are gorgeous.

So you get about 5 hours or so at the fort and surrounding area? Is lunch included?

We'll have to wait and do this on our separate visit to Key West while doing the Keys. I could never do a seaplane, so that's out.

The above pictures, BTW, are gorgeous.

Just remember that if the seas are not calm, the ferry is NOT fun.... I'd say at least 35% of the boat got sea sick and the workers spent the entire 2 1/2 hour ride handing out barf bags and cleaning up....

I don't get sea sick so it wasn't too bad but still a miserable ride. The bonus is they do serve a really solid breakfast AND lunch on the ferry.

But if you can afford it, I think the sea plane is a better option. 5 - 6 hours on a ferry is not terribly fun!

Just remember that if the seas are not calm, the ferry is NOT fun.... I'd say at least 35% of the boat got sea sick and the workers spent the entire 2 1/2 hour ride handing out barf bags and cleaning up....

I don't get sea sick so it wasn't too bad but still a miserable ride. The bonus is they do serve a really solid breakfast AND lunch on the ferry.

But if you can afford it, I think the sea plane is a better option. 5 - 6 hours on a ferry is not terribly fun!

Sounds like the Kenai Fjords excursion we took in Alaska -- they wanted people that crossing the ocean into the fjord was not fun, but people didn't listen and didn't take the seasick medicine they offered at first. A lot of people hanging over the back of the boat for the entire ride. We always pop a Bonine every morning, calm seas or not, just in case.

I couldn't do the seaplane -- my fear of heights is too great. I have a hard enough time on a full-size jet, but a small plane like that would not be fun for me (talk about getting sick) LOL. But thanks.

Did the sea plane some years back. I was scared of heights then, but forced myself as my husband was desperate to go.

It’s nothing like being in a big jet, the plane stays quite low and you get amazing views of the coral reefs, dolphins and turtles swimming below, even saw hammerhead sharks. Fort Jefferson was amazing, like a jewel in the blue sea, truly beautiful sights. I’d go again in a shot if I got the chance.

Sounds like the Kenai Fjords excursion we took in Alaska -- they wanted people that crossing the ocean into the fjord was not fun, but people didn't listen and didn't take the seasick medicine they offered at first. A lot of people hanging over the back of the boat for the entire ride. We always pop a Bonine every morning, calm seas or not, just in case.

I couldn't do the seaplane -- my fear of heights is too great. I have a hard enough time on a full-size jet, but a small plane like that would not be fun for me (talk about getting sick) LOL. But thanks.

It's a seaplane. If something goes wrong it can literally land on the water!

It's a seaplane. If something goes wrong it can literally land on the water!

Yes, I got that, but a fear of heights and flying is a fear of heights and flying (and along with my vertigo, it's not a good fit). It hasn't kept me from flying around the world, but small planes are just not something I need to try. Besides, the costs for the seaplane (for us) are prohibitive. But thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks to all who gave such amazing information and tips and photos. It's greatly appreciated. Since we are going back to Key West as part of this road trip post-cruise, we will plan it for one of those days so we have more time.

Edited by Wyoming2010

Yes, I got that, but a fear of heights and flying is a fear of heights and flying (and along with my vertigo, it's not a good fit). It hasn't kept me from flying around the world, but small planes are just not something I need to try. Besides, the costs for the seaplane (for us) are prohibitive. But thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks to all who gave such amazing information and tips and photos. It's greatly appreciated. Since we are going back to Key West as part of this road trip post-cruise, we will plan it for one of those days so we have more time.

Check the ferry well ahead of time. It sells out. You can purchase online.

No, but there's a snack bar on board where you can purchase things (and a real bar on the way back to KW). Take a look at their website for complete information: https://www.drytortugas.com/ BTW, the seaplane fare for a full-day tour is $600 per person, so the ferry is a real bargain.

Have you actually been?!

There is absolutely lunch on board the ferry, an expansive spread, actually.

They served a fairly robust breakfast also.

Full lunch and breakfast is complimentary and tons of food. Along with water and coffee and what not.

The ferry is better than the sea plane if you want to spend more time. And the ferry gives you a home base to relax as well as the island has almost no public facilities.

Edited by BNBR

If they serve breakfast and lunch, I'm thinking they must more or less be in a 3-hour time frame for all that food :confused: And yes, their website says both breakfast and lunch are included with the fare.

Also, after the 45-minute tour, do they allow you to walk around the inside of the fort on your own?

If they serve breakfast and lunch, I'm thinking they must more or less be in a 3-hour time frame for all that food :confused: And yes, their website says both breakfast and lunch are included with the fare.

Also, after the 45-minute tour, do they allow you to walk around the inside of the fort on your own?

There isn't much of a "tour" - they stop the boat at the dock, you get off and you do whatever you want. It's a VERY special place. It's big, has very little that you can't actually go do yourself. You can go sit in the area and listen to the ranger's talk if you want. Otherwise, go do anything you like. Go way up on top and be careful, you can fall right off!

There is a beach area, you can walk along the canal wall, go down to the other island, snorkel, etc.

Breakfast is served the moment you get on the boat. There is a slow section for the first 45 minutes or so and you eat during that time. Then around 12 they serve lunch on the boat. If you want lunch, head back around 12 and have lunch. Then you can head back out. Come and go as you wish.

The fort is HUGE. I can't stress that enough if you have seen other Civil War era forts, this is MUCH bigger.

You can explore to your hearts content. It's such a special place. But yeah, there is very little that you can't do. Just a residential section, small, where some workers live on the island, but otherwise nearly the entire fort and surrounding area is your playground.

Edited by BNBR

There isn't much of a "tour" - they stop the boat at the dock, you get off and you do whatever you want. It's a VERY special place. It's big, has very little that you can't actually go do yourself. You can go sit in the area and listen to the ranger's talk if you want. Otherwise, go do anything you like. Go way up on top and be careful, you can fall right off!

There is a beach area, you can walk along the canal wall, go down to the other island, snorkel, etc.

Breakfast is served the moment you get on the boat. There is a slow section for the first 45 minutes or so and you eat during that time. Then around 12 they serve lunch on the boat. If you want lunch, head back around 12 and have lunch. Then you can head back out. Come and go as you wish.

The fort is HUGE. I can't stress that enough if you have seen other Civil War era forts, this is MUCH bigger.

You can explore to your hearts content. It's such a special place. But yeah, there is very little that you can't do. Just a residential section, small, where some workers live on the island, but otherwise nearly the entire fort and surrounding area is your playground.

My whole life with my husband has been history sites, forts, lighthouses. We've been all over the country and always find that elusive fort or history plaque. I imagine from the images that this place is as big as the one in San Juan, which took us a good part of the morning and was hot as heck. So I'm prepared -- but I really like the fact that we can go back to the boat to rest or eat or use facilities.

Oh, it's SOOOOOO much better than the two at San Juan. It's bigger than those as well but manageable. If you are in to these things, than Fort Jefferson has no equal, period. You will be blown away. You really need to go. The remoteness of it adds a totally different experience. Even with a full boat, the fort and island will feel pretty empty and secluded. It really is an experience you can't miss if you have the opportunity to go.

If the weather is good, bring a swimsuit and towel. They have free snorkel gear you can use and freshwater showers to rinse off and change, etc. The main beach is near the camping area very close to the boat.

You can also make the beach walk along Bush Key (but NOT Long Key) which is a nice and fairly long walk. Spectacular.

Oh, it's SOOOOOO much better than the two at San Juan. It's bigger than those as well but manageable. If you are in to these things, than Fort Jefferson has no equal, period. You will be blown away. You really need to go. The remoteness of it adds a totally different experience. Even with a full boat, the fort and island will feel pretty empty and secluded. It really is an experience you can't miss if you have the opportunity to go.

If the weather is good, bring a swimsuit and towel. They have free snorkel gear you can use and freshwater showers to rinse off and change, etc. The main beach is near the camping area very close to the boat.

You can also make the beach walk along Bush Key (but NOT Long Key) which is a nice and fairly long walk. Spectacular.

Now I AM excited to go. Thanks.

Now I AM excited to go. Thanks.

Come back and update us on your trip once you go. I can't stress enough, don't miss this trip. It's worth traveling from afar just to do it. So if you are already in Key West and have the extra day... go do it.

It's the largest masonry structure in the western hemisphere. And sitting out on an island in the middle of nowhere. It's unbelievable how they did this. And the white sand and turquoise waters around it are so cool.

You can see where Dr. Mudd was kept, the little ditch they carved in to their cell to help get water out, etc. I'll stop rambling. Just make sure you go!

Come back and update us on your trip once you go. I can't stress enough, don't miss this trip. It's worth traveling from afar just to do it. So if you are already in Key West and have the extra day... go do it.

It's the largest masonry structure in the western hemisphere. And sitting out on an island in the middle of nowhere. It's unbelievable how they did this. And the white sand and turquoise waters around it are so cool.

You can see where Dr. Mudd was kept, the little ditch they carved in to their cell to help get water out, etc. I'll stop rambling. Just make sure you go!

You are very encouraging. I know my husband wouldn't want to miss a chance to see this place -- it's really a once in a lifetime trip more or less.

However, I have a question. What does the ferry cost? Either I looked at the website wrong or it's way more than I thought, but when I put in two seniors, the total was $320 total. Is that right?

You are very encouraging. I know my husband wouldn't want to miss a chance to see this place -- it's really a once in a lifetime trip more or less.

However, I have a question. What does the ferry cost? Either I looked at the website wrong or it's way more than I thought, but when I put in two seniors, the total was $320 total. Is that right?

That is the correct price. But make sure to put it in perspective.

It's 5+ hours of travel time alone. What would an airplane or train cost just for a trip that is 5 hours? Plus a very nice and comprehensive breakfast and lunch. Plus free snorkel equipment and the service doesn't stop when you get off the boat at the island. It includes your entry fees, tour, equipment, and the staff is always there ready to help or whatever for you. The service was truly outstanding. It's 10+ hours of travel, food, and service. It's a very fair price all things considered.

I think it's actually $340. I'd take that trip over a cruise, personally, if I had to choose. Everyone is different, but to me, it's just that unique an adventure and experience.

That is the correct price. But make sure to put it in perspective.

It's 5+ hours of travel time alone. What would an airplane or train cost just for a trip that is 5 hours? Plus a very nice and comprehensive breakfast and lunch. Plus free snorkel equipment and the service doesn't stop when you get off the boat at the island. It includes your entry fees, tour, equipment, and the staff is always there ready to help or whatever for you. The service was truly outstanding. It's 10+ hours of travel, food, and service. It's a very fair price all things considered.

I think it's actually $340. I'd take that trip over a cruise, personally, if I had to choose. Everyone is different, but to me, it's just that unique an adventure and experience.

It was $340, but we each got a $10 discount for the senior rate (woo hoo).

It was $340, but we each got a $10 discount for the senior rate (woo hoo).

I didn't go through the booking, but the pricing page shows $170/ea for senior rate so $340. $360 being the regular rate. It doesn't matter though at that point. Have a great trip!

I didn't go through the booking, but the pricing page shows $170/ea for senior rate so $340. $360 being the regular rate. It doesn't matter though at that point. Have a great trip!

No, you're right -- I didn't word that well. I meant it totaled to $340 after our senior discount.