What proof are you taking on board for the military OBS

the english lady

Hi

I know things have recently changed via the OBS for military service.

You mention it at time of booking. They put a code in.

When you get onboard you have to show proof..so what proof. I seem to have kept a little blue folder and one of the faded bits of paper says

s1560

Certificate of discharge from regular service in the Royal Navy

will that suffice, or shall I take the little blue folder (a5 size) with my other bits of paper in there...and some old pix where I look tiny compared to now..but that was Chatham, where I did part of my training, and I hated it, and didn't really eat there...Oh to look like it now when I cruise..looking wistful....

My husband is taking his discharge papers, a little red booklet I think it is. Also he has a forces privilege card which also gives his length of service, discharge date etc. Goibg on cruises in October ( P&O) and January (Cunard) so hope it will all be OK

https://www.defencediscountservice.co.uk/index.php?p=offerdetails&cid=6755&oid=6524

I have no idea where my red discharge book is so not sure what I can use! Any ideas?

If you click on the link I posted above you can get a forces privilege card for £4.99 for 5 years. Also get discounts on other things. You have to provide your military details.

Hi

When you get onboard you have to show proof..so what proof. I seem to have kept a little blue folder and one of the faded bits of paper says

s1560

will that suffice, or shall I take the little blue folder (a5 size) with my other bits of paper in there...and some old pix where I look tiny compared to now..but that was Chatham, where I did part of my training, and I hated it, and didn't really eat there...Oh to look like it now when I cruise..looking wistful....

Hi

In your computer search engine enter M.O.D. Form 1694 -Nov 13

It is the Subject Access request form

Print off a couple of copies

Fill in relevant details and send form to address on bottom left.

You should get back from RN Disclosure Cell a confirmation of time served.

Contact your cruise rep. and tell him/her that you have proof of time served in H.M. Forces and that you are eligeable for OBS.

Don't laugh but the form includes time served in Home Guard. I sure that part doesn't apply to you.

Hi, If you are going to get the proof via the M.O.D. Form 1694 -Nov 13, I would do it really quick as it does take a while for them to send out your proof of service. We did this for Williams proof if I mind right it too about 10 weeks from start to finish. As it happens we found his discharge papers 2 weeks after the proof of service arrived typical!!!

Even with the privilege card you have to send them some proof of service.

Regards to all

W&P

Hi, If you are going to get the proof via the M.O.D. Form 1694 -Nov 13, I would do it really quick as it does take a while for them to send out your proof of service. We did this for Williams proof if I mind right it too about 10 weeks from start to finish. As it happens we found his discharge papers 2 weeks after the proof of service arrived typical!!!

Even with the privilege card you have to send them some proof of service.

Regards to all

W&P

Thank you all for your help.

No I am not quite old enough for the home guard!!!!!

I am replying in part to your comment about sending proof of service.

You now do not have to send anything anywhere.

You take the proof on board the ship with you, and show the purser. I am assuming that means reception really

Hi

s1560

That is exactly what i am taking - well photo copy of it anyway and will show it to the booking in desk. They have given me and the wife the credit - I doubt hers will survive past booking in thou -£30 might buy part of my wine package....

You take the proof on board the ship with you, and show the purser. I am assuming that means reception really

I think the poster meant you have to send some proof of service to get the privilege card. In thinking about it yes my husband did have to scan his discharge papers in and send it to them to get the card.

I think if onboard Ventura they didn't ask for proof that was an oversight and we can't risk them not asking normally.

Firstly: Nowhere did I mention age!!! I quoted name of form you are required to fill out for the privilege card.

Secondly: I meant if you are applying for the privilege card you have to send proof of service to them not take it with you for P&O as privilege card would suffice. We are taking discharge papers and will show reception that.

Regards

P&W

Edited by Wull92

Firstly: Nowhere did I mention age!!! I quoted name of form you are required to fill out for the privilege card.

Secondly: I meant if you are applying for the privilege card you have to send proof of service to them not take it with you for P&O as privilege card would suffice. We are taking discharge papers and will show reception that.

Regards

P&W

The shame about posts is the typed word does not convey emotion, I was jokingly saying I was not quite that old.

The confusion arises as this thread seemed to wander from proof of military service to take onboard to the card mentioned.

sorry about that.

The same as my mistake, It should read name of form for MOD proof of service form. What I was trying to convey was the time it takes for the MOD to send your proof of service back to you. Time is of the essence if the original poster is cruising soon.

Regards to all

P&W

We applied in the very early days when you had to send the proof to Carnival/P&O.

Now it's been changed again, this was due to many people with the cards claiming the MOBC but due to them only having worked with the forces and not in them they weren't entitled to the Benefits. To tighten up on this they now say let your TA know and they will put the MOBC onto your cabin this needs following up with proof.

If you take a copy of the discharge certificate that should be sufficient. Don't rely on the cards that can be purchased. As we book direct with P&O and they have a copy of OH discharge certificate it gets added automatically.

It's well worth having.

:)

As been said take copy of your discharge papers / Red Book if you have one to your travel agent who will kindly photocopy send it on as for my Mod 90 which is given to you as serving soldier / navy /Raf which cannot be bought has your name rank number dob photograph

I think the 'Red Book' is an Army document. The RAF on discharge get a Light Blue folder which contains various certificates etc but the one we used was the Discharge Certificate. I think the Navy have a Dark Blue folder with the same information. The MOD have a document that once completed goes to the relevant branch of the Armed Forces. They will supply a Proof of Service document. Our friends applied to MOD and got theirs via RAF Cranwell where all records are now kept.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

I think the way they do it now is open to abuse. When you used to send your documents off the proof was seen. Now they say take it with you and show at reception, every time we have done this they say they don't need to see it. I have mentioned it a couple of times in emails and on the phone and the answer I get is..."but we may ask you to show it and if you don't have the proof with you the OBC will be removed and may not get added for future cruises" fair enough I suppose but I do wonder if they have ever asked anyone!

They used to allow the defence discount card as proof until they were advised by many of us that anyone can get one of those cards and you don't need to have been in the military!

How I love this site!

As first time cruisers (next month) we knew nothing about military OBS until I read this thread. Following a phone call to P&O we now have £150 to spend on board as long as we take proof of my husband's time in the Fleet Air Arm. We booked an Early Saver in May.

Thank you one and all.

I think the way they do it now is open to abuse. When you used to send your documents off the proof was seen. Now they say take it with you and show at reception, every time we have done this they say they don't need to see it. I have mentioned it a couple of times in emails and on the phone and the answer I get is..."but we may ask you to show it and if you don't have the proof with you the OBC will be removed and may not get added for future cruises" fair enough I suppose but I do wonder if they have ever asked anyone!

They used to allow the defence discount card as proof until they were advised by many of us that anyone can get one of those cards and you don't need to have been in the military!

Yes I agree it is open to abuse. I have seen posts on the cruise pages on Facebook where civilians that worked for the MOD saying they have got the OBC. Of course they are then telling more people to do the same. They should stick to what they say and check the proof onboard otherwise remove the OBC if it can't be provided.

You do have to provide proof of service for the defence privilege card but not for the blue light card ( where you can get 5% discount if you book direct) that lots of people get.

Edited by amajaa

Midsomer Madness, new to the DDC, but have used it in the last two months to obtain OBS with P&O in January & September next year.

Midsomer Madness, new to the DDC, but have used it in the last two months to obtain OBS with P&O in January & September next year.

Hi Petina,

Did you get this card from having been in the forces or just working with them as an MOD civilian? These were the people found to be claiming benefits they weren't entitled to, I believe they may have used the Forces Rewards Card which depicts if you are a Veteran, Civilian etc.

This we believe has been stopped and I was also under the impression that they were now only accepting the Discharge paperwork or the proof applied for from the MOD.