Avalon, Viking and Vantage booking policies

Unregistered, just back from your river cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
River Cruising
Find Others on Your River Cruise! River Cruising Roll Calls
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 12:04 PM.
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
11,848 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
We saved $1000 by moving our Vantage China trip back by three weeks. Vantage called us and asked if we would move due to overbooking. We did and had a great trip.
618 Posts
Joined May 2006
Papa, How close to your departure date did they ask you to move? We are now 39 days out. This is a Christmas Market Cruise and there are no other dates other than waiting until next year. Did they give you a choice or just tell you what you were doing?
Saint Simons Island, Georgia
11,848 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by S&B
Papa, How close to your departure date did they ask you to move? We are now 39 days out. This is a Christmas Market Cruise and there are no other dates other than waiting until next year. Did they give you a choice or just tell you what you were doing?
They gave me a choice. Also, they called about three or four months ahead of the trip.
3,885 Posts
Joined May 2009
Originally posted by S&B
Oh my I am stressed out for you...just reading your posts, that this company has taken your money and you are being stressed out because you believe they are going to bump you!!

Your experience tells me to NEVER NEVER book with Vantage, I for one could not handle the stress. Or was this trip booked on a "Wait List" basis, though reading this entire thread I don't believe this is the case.

I am hoping that your trip works out for you and that it is fabulous!
372 Posts
Joined Jul 2010
Originally posted by nana541
... booked on a "Wait List" basis...
Even on a “wait list” it is absolutely unacceptable. With Viking if “waitlisted” only need to pay a deposit (in that case fully refundable!) and they are required to assign you a cabin and air I believe 60 days before the cruise.
After this story Vantage is nonexistent for me either.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
AT SEA: 16 cruises
RIVER:
2011 -- Viking Sun 'Rhine Getaway'
2012 -- Viking Primadonna 'Passage to Eastern Europe'
2013 -- Viking Odin 'Tulips & Windmills'
2013 -- Viking Lomonosov 'Footsteps of the Cossacks'
2013 -- Viking Spirit 'Paris & the Heart of Normandy'
2014 -- Viking Schumann 'Elegant Elbe'
2014 -- AMA Waterways 'Melodies of the Danube'
2014 -- Viking Hemming 'Portugal's River of Gold'
2015 -- American Eagle 'Lower Mississippi'
2016 -- Viking Forseti 'Chateaux, Rivers & Wine'
2016 -- Mekong Navigator 'Mekong River Cruise with Saigon & Siem Reap'
------- Next Up -----

------- Email me here: [email protected]
Australia
1,267 Posts
Joined Jun 2013
S&B

I cannot find a reference to how much you have paid so far for this trip.

Have you paid for air also?

This whole procedure of Vantage is totally unacceptable as far as I can see.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Strath

HAL Ms Zuiderdam Alaska 05/25/2013
Scenic Jade - Jewels of Europe 09/17/2014
Scenic Gem - Gems of the Seine 10/06/2014
Scenic Emerald - South of France 10/19/2014
HAL Ms Zuiderdam Mediterranean 04/14/2015
HAL Ms Noordam Aust/NZ 03/25/2016
3,885 Posts
Joined May 2009
My reading of S&B's posts is that they are fully booked and paid and have only recently discovered their "uncertain" situation.
Vantage is certainly off my list after reading this terrible story!
618 Posts
Joined May 2006
We are not stressed out. However, I do have to admit that every time the phone rings I wonder if it is Vantage. I would have never known that they overbook cruises had I not read a post on Vantage Facebook where a customer got cancelled 8 days before departure. That is when I started to read the fine print. Never was good at reading all that stuff!!

So, we just kind of wait it out. In the mean time I have obviously stopped buying winter clothes. Weather today in Florida is beautiful. High 70's!!

Happy travels to everyone and we did have a wonderful cruise to Egypt with Vantage of which I am glad that we went when we did.
Creston bc Canada
13 Posts
Joined Dec 2016
We are booked with Avalon mid June and have cancellation insurance
It looks like my husband must have surgery
What us Avalon policy re rebooking
Will it cost us?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums