Duty Free into the US

MrsTabs

Can we buy duty free tobacco at the airport in the uk and have it in our hand luggage to take to the US ( New York) if it is for personal use??

Many thanks

I guess I am wondering how anyone would know if you bought it at home or at duty free? So, if true, you would fall under whatever the normal rules are for bring tobacco into this country, or any other since people do it everyday.

I guess it depends on the volume. Americans have to "declare" purchases when the enter the county, but again... how do they know? Maybe tax stamps?

well it would be in my hand luggage and have 'duty free' on it :D

I do not want to fall foul of any laws just wanting to check really as we hand roll our cigs and it is way cheaper at the uk airports than in the shops in the uk ( £20 roughly in shops £5 in airport) since my main luggage will have been checked in it would have to go in hand luggage

Has anyone any experience of this?

well it would be in my hand luggage and have 'duty free' on it :D

I do not want to fall foul of any laws just wanting to check really as we hand roll our cigs and it is way cheaper at the uk airports than in the shops in the uk ( £20 roughly in shops £5 in airport) since my main luggage will have been checked in it would have to go in hand luggage

Has anyone any experience of this?

Would not matter if hand luggage or carryon at all. They ALL go through customs with you.

we are flying Aer Lingus we check in our luggage at Manchester fly to Dublin, pre clear US immigration there but we have been advised we do not see our luggage again from Manchester to JFK it is forwarded away from us in Dublin

we are flying Aer Lingus we check in our luggage at Manchester fly to Dublin, pre clear US immigration there but we have been advised we do not see our luggage again from Manchester to JFK it is forwarded away from us in Dublin

You still have to clear US customs at Dublin as part of the immigration check.

We did it last year connecting to Boston

To be honest I can't remember if we had to re-check our bags or if they went straight through, but either way you shouldn't have an issue.

The customs forms ask visitors to declare goods that will be staying in the US, your cigarettes won't count.

See here for the official version

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/454/~/duty-free-exemption%2C-gifts

"

If you are a nonresident visiting the U.S. with gifts or your personal belongings there is a possibility you will not have to pay duty. For instance, if you are visiting the U.S. for 72 hours or more you are allowed to bring up to $100 worth of goods duty-free."

thanks so much for this I read this Non-residents can import the following articles for personal use free of duty:

a. 100 cigars or 200 cigarettes or 4.4 lbs.(2 kg) of smoking tobacco (persons of 21 years or older), or combination thereof;

b. 1 US quart of alcoholic beverages (persons of 21 years or older);

In addition, each non-resident (incl. minors) can import gifts of max. value of USD 100.- free of duty, once per 6 months, if their stay in the USA is not less than 72 hours.

so seems we are good thank you :D