Just off the Conquest June 26-July 3 review LONG LONG

StaceyM

Well here goes...Just a little info on those of us sailing. I am 40, DH is 42, and DD is 13. We were with a total of 28 people ages 8 to 50 and are all good friends. We cruised together last year on the Elation so some of this review might be a slight comparison to our experiences on the Elation. I will try to get through as much as I can today, as I am at work :)

Friday, June 24..drove in from Grapevine, Texas which was about 7.5 hours. Not a bad drive at all. Stayed at the Metarie Inn which I would NOT advise..The elevators werenot working and the overall feeling of the hotel was not clean.

Saturday, June 25... We were only there from about 8:00 p.m. until 9:00 a.m. and then we left and went directly to the Holiday Inn Convention Center. We parked our car in the Fulton Street Garage and they let us check in right away. We were in our room by 9:30 a.m. We were very happy with the Holiday Inn as it was clean and in a good location. We went directly to Cafe Dumonde for Bengiets (sp) and coffee. The line was long but moves fast and we were seated within about 10 minutes. Afterwards we went to the French Market which is a flea market that has many mardi gras items.

TIP #1...Buy the mardi gras masks which are 3 for 5.00 to wear on Mardi Gras night!! We did and SEVERAL people stopped us an asked where we got our masks and if they could buy them on the ship!! We also had feather boas which were a hit. We bought them in the French market but they also have them at kiosks in the river walk mall. We ate lunch at the food court in the mall and then had dinner at Mulate's where we joined up with the rest of our extended group. Mulate's was good but apparently we were there too early for the live music which doesn't start until 7:00. After dinner we did the Haunted History Ghost Tour which was just OK. It was 2.5 hours long and walking the entire time. I am a walker but after walking around NOLA all day we were dead by the time the tour was over. It was interesting and we got to see some of NOLA that we wouldn't have seen otherwise.

Sunday June 26...Cruise DAY!! We were going to try to walk from the Holiday Inn Convention Center with our luggage to avoid the traffic but after a dry run without luggage, decided not to as there is no where for pedestrians to walk with their luggage, especially at 10:30 a.m. because of the traffic. We decided to catch the Fulton Shuttle which was not problem. We were in the terminal at 10:30 where there was no line. We had our sail and sign cards within 15 minutes and then sat in the yellow chairs until 12:00. We dropped our carryons off at the room and were eating on the LIDO by 12:45. Our room was an oceanview on the Riviera deck aft. We have stayed on the Riviera deck midship before on the Elation and were very happy as there is less noise and movement. I would not stay on the Riviera deck AFT again as there was more noise and also a horrible stench in the air from about halfway mid ship to the aft. It was not pleasant. Also, our room smelled like cigarette smoke but our steward, Inez, brought in an ionizer which took care of the problem and it was fine after that. The robes even smelled like smoke but we got over it. The room itself was Awesome!! Larger than the one we had on the Elation and lots of storage space.

TIP #2...There are two LARGE drawers under the couch which pull out. OUr friends told us about it or we wouldn't have known. This is the couch that makes into a bed. There was plenty of room for the three of us.

MORE REVIEW TO COME....Stay Tuned

PartII and it goes on....

We had dinner at 6:15 in the Renior dining room,lower level. Our group had one table for 10, one for 5, one for 7 and one for 6. They were all right together. Our wait staff was good but not super engaging. In fact, I couldn't tell you but one of their names and that was Gerardo. Our dinners were good, not excellent. All of the food was hot and out fast but the beef was tough most nights. The prime rib was excellent. The only dessert that I thought was outstanding was the flourless chocolate cake. The others were just okay. The pastas were okay but not outstanding. We enjoyed dinner each night mostly because of the company.

We ate the Lido deck buffet only at breakfast and lunch and it was okay. We got lunch from the grill and the deli. Both were very good. The icecream was excellent as usual as I had my fair share :).

DRINKS: DD got a soda card which worked out fine. I think it was 34.00 for the week. Last year on the Elation she loved the virgin drinks but did not care for them this cruise. She said they were watery. That was fine with me as it saved me some money. The foo foo drinks were okay but did not taste like they had any alcohol in them. We had the drink of the day most days and thought they were good.

Monday, June 27th First day at sea...I got out to the Lido at 7:30 to get my chair and it started raining about 10:00. It rained the entire day off and on but not enough to hamper our good time. One guy in our group won the hairy man contest, second year in a row, and he got some great prizes such as a Carnival robe, Del Sol t-shirt and hat, and a bottle of champagne. On the Elation last year he only got a ship on a stick and a bottle of champagne.

Tuesday, June 28th..Second day at sea...Sunny and hot!! Lot's of activities during the day but we chose to stay on the Lido and drink the drink of the day.

Wednesday, June 29th..Jamaica.. Did the Canopy Tour which we booked on line about a month before with Carnival. This tour was excellent and I would recommend it to anyone. I am afraid of heights but once you get going it is so beautiful that you forget. This tour took 4 hours from start to finish. We were on the 10:00 tour and we paid our bus driver a little extra to take us directly to Margaritaville which was a blast. We had Cheeseburgers in Paradise and Margaritas which were strong!! We all slid down the slide and jumped on the trampoline ( I am a young 40 :) ) Our group loved Margaritaville.

Thursday, June 30th...Grand Cayman..Did the Stingray City tour with Captain Brian's on the Hannibel Catamaran...Loved this tour as well!! We booked the 9:00 tour and were back by 12:00. Ate lunch at the Paradise Cafe and shopped a little afterwards. Had to be back on the ship by 3:30 which was a little rushed. The tender line is long and in the hot sun.

Friday, July 1....Cozumel... Went to Paradise beach. This was our second time to go there and it was nice as usual. Paradise Tom did apologise for the sea weed which was along the coastline due to rain the previous week. We bought the 8.00 wrist band for our DD but not for ourselves. There is someone in the water in a kayak patrolling for bands and he will nab you even if you are just on a float. Our friend got busted. The food there was good and the drinks were also good. We left there and shopped a while at Puerta Maya Pier where the ship was docked. I like this dock much better than the one down town. The shopping there is good and we also love Fat Tuesday's where we all met at 4:30 for drinks before re-boarding the ship at 5:15.

Saturday, July 2, Last day at sea...a sad sad day!! The weather was hot and sunny and we just hung out on the lido deck.

More to come later... Stay tuned and I will talk about the entertainment and staff.

Part III General Info

Staff: The cruise director is Todd Wittmer and was by far the best I have sailed with.. (previous CD's were Trevor on the Celebration and Risa on the Elation) Todd is young, hip, and lots of fun and is everywhere on the ship. I really don't know when he sleeps as he is up early giving talks and out late every night in the disco or other clubs. Evidently he brings several unique activities to the Conquest such as the Rocky Horror picture show, which is a hoot, especially if you are in the age group such as myself that can remember going to it in high school. They have all of the props etc and it is alot of fun. He also hosts a 70's/80's party in the disco that is hilarious and really fun!! Don't miss it. There is also a murder mystery skit which was good but a little long. One of the funniest things we attended was the "whose cruise is it anyway" which is on the last night for good reason..It is very "R" rated and not for those easily offended. You will hear and see the staff and Todd do things and say things that will shock you but it is really funny. I am guessing he is in his late 30's due to the nature of the activites such as 80's night and Rocky Horror. Todd is a good singer too and easy on the eyes. I would sail with him again in a heartbeat. If the CC group cruisers get to sail with him there is no telling what might happen :). The assistant cruise director is Malcolm in the Middle from New York. I think he is fairly new to the ship as he doesn't seem to have the same repor with the staff as Big Kev and Sarah aka "bubbles". They are great and very engaging. The other social host is Arthur and I also think he must be new as he seems a little out of place but otherwise fun. He looks very young. I would say that the staff definitely added alot to this cruise!!

Entertainment: We went to both production shows and almost fell asleep during Formidable. Point and Click was okay but I have seen better. The comedians were good and the juggler was excellent. The newlywed/not so newlywed game was funny as usual but after 3 cruises with Carnival, somewhat predictable. I woudn't miss it nonetheless.

Captain's cocktail party and past guest party...Both were fun, especially the past guest party where you get to clap when the ships that you have sailed come on the screen. Todd actually sang with the rock band on the stage and we did a dance. It was fun.

Clubs: We were disappointed in the disco as all they played was rap and hip hop which doesn't appeal to our age group. The piano bar was fun but crowded. Our favorite club was Vincent's where this Philopino (sp) band plays classic rock. They are excellent and not to be missed!! They also play the Mardi Gras party and the Past Guest Party. They were by far our favorite entertainment of the week. Went to Kareoke a few times but most "singers" were just acting silly. I guess each week is different and each ship is different because last year on the Elation we spent every night in Kareoke.

More to come but ask questions if you have any!!

who was the singer in the piano bar???

The piano guy is Ron Pass and he is great BUT he's moving to the Liberty mid-July. We were on the Conquest on the June 19 sailing and the piano bar was our favorite hangout. He has a website...http://www.ronpass.com. Have to agree with Stacy about Todd and his staff....EXCELLENT!!!!! Another not to miss is the ventriloquist commedian. We were skeptical, but he was the best!!! Hillarious and unique.

Stacey, or anyone,

Is the Mardi Gras party a regular event on Conquest? DH and I are sailing on Sunday and will have plenty of time in New Orleans to pick up masks. I have heard that they sell them onboard but at a hugely inflated price. I had also heard that they are mandatory to get into the party. True?

StorySue2003:cool:

Thanks for the review! DH and I are going in Nov for our first cruise and I aam counting the days! I was thinking of going to Paradise Beach also, what is the $8 band for? I thought I was an "all inclusive" thing. What is the guy in kayak looking for? Also are there any other parties on boarc besides the Mardi Gras party that we may want to bring something extra for? What night are they? Thanks for helping out the "newbie"!!!

Sounds like you had a great cruise. I can't wait to get back on Conquest. It's still my favorite ship so far. ;)

$8 wristbands at Paradise Beach are for the use of water toys, trampoline, floating iceberg for climbing etc. No charge if you just want to hang out on the beach or at the bar. Massages are very good there too..... $1 a minute.

Stacey, or anyone,

Is the Mardi Gras party a regular event on Conquest? DH and I are sailing on Sunday and will have plenty of time in New Orleans to pick up masks. I have heard that they sell them onboard but at a hugely inflated price. I had also heard that they are mandatory to get into the party. True?

StorySue2003:cool:

Yes the Mardi Gras party is a regular event and not to miss!! I did not see masks of any kind for sale on the ship so if you want them, buy them in New Orleans!! Your fellow passengers will be envious!! They are not mandatory to get into the party but will add to your fun for sure!!

Thanks for the review! DH and I are going in Nov for our first cruise and I aam counting the days! I was thinking of going to Paradise Beach also, what is the $8 band for? I thought I was an "all inclusive" thing. What is the guy in kayak looking for? Also are there any other parties on boarc besides the Mardi Gras party that we may want to bring something extra for? What night are they? Thanks for helping out the "newbie"!!!

The 8.00 bands are for the water toys etc. You do not need one if you just want chairs and an umbrella. The guy in the kayak is looking for people that don;t have a band and are using the water toys, trampoline etc. The other party that you might want something special for is the 70/80's party but not many people were dressed special.

The piano guy is Ron Pass and he is great BUT he's moving to the Liberty mid-July. We were on the Conquest on the June 19 sailing and the piano bar was our favorite hangout. He has a website...http://www.ronpass.com. Have to agree with Stacy about Todd and his staff....EXCELLENT!!!!! Another not to miss is the ventriloquist commedian. We were skeptical, but he was the best!!! Hillarious and unique.

I agree about the ventriloquist...We were not really looking forward to seeing him but he has one skit with an audience member that is hilarious!! He will be part of the welcome aboard show.

Just went back and realized you have a DD that is 13. Did she participate in any of the teen activities? How were they? We have a DS that is 13 going with us.

Trish

Yes Trish, we had 4 13 year old girls in our group and we made them go to the teen orientation the first night. They actually met several kids thier age and hung with them all week. They are required to attend the orientation if they want to participate in the activities during the week. The counselor said there were 200 13-15 year old on board last week but we never had any problems with obnoxious behavior from any of the kids on board. The ship is so large that you don't really realize how many are on.

Here is my final installment of the long long review...

Having been on 3 Carnival cruises I would say that I was very slightly disappointed in the Conquest.. Don't get me wrong, I had a wonderful time and would highly recommend it but there was just something lacking...I would actually rate my Elation cruise over the Conquest even though the Conquest is a larger and newer ship. Most of the people in my group feel the same and many times we found ourselves comparing the Elation to the Conquest.

Pros & Cons

Pros: The port...Loved New Orleans!!

The Staff....EXCELLENT Staff, best I have ever had

The Itinerary...Loved all of the ports

The Philapino band in Vincent's..Very entertaining

The parties..Mardi Gras and 70's/80's

Teen Programs and dance club...DD loved it

The Lido deck food choices; ie deli and grill were great

Cons: The ship..didn't care for the layout and stains on the carpet

stench in the hallways on the Riviera deck; however, loved the decor.

The food...Just okay, not outstanding

The production shows put us to sleep

Overall this cruise was a blast!! I do not want to come across as negative in any way because we did have a great cruise and great weather for the most part. I would sail her again in a heartbeat!! I think we just had very high expectations and expected the Conquest to be much nicer, larger, cleaner than the Elation and it wasn't in our opinion... I would love to be on either of the great ships right now instead of at work!! Please ask any questions!!

Stacey, that's good to know. Our upcoming cruise on the Conquest is the first time on her, and our first on Carnival in a longggg time. Our last one was the Southern Caribbean on the Festivale if that give you any indication. But, the prices on the Elation were cheaper and it's definitely a closer port for us so that give us something to look to in the future.

Trish

Trish,

Make sure you go to the past guest party...They actually mention the Festivale on the movie and you will get to clap for it since you have been on it!! It is really neat! I would make sure that Canival knows that you are a past guest either through your TA or call them directly.

Stacey,

Thanks for the great review. We leave July 17th...10 more days. Can't wait! Which night is for past guest? Want to make reservations for the Point but can't decide which night. Looks like we have been sailing the same ships just a month apart!

Hello StaceyM,

You mentioned in your review to buy masks for the "mardi gras night". What is this that you are referring to? Is there an actual party or event on the ship during the week where mardi gras masks/attire is worn? If so, do you remember which night and where in the ship this takes place?

I apologize if anyone has already asked this question or you mentioned it in further detail....I simply went back in to my email account where I had cut and pasted your comments! Again, any info would be appreciated. We're sailing the 17th and can't wait...hope the hurricanes are gone by then!

Thank you!

Archived