Saga Rose Greenland Voyager August 2007

Saga Ruby

ships cat - where are you finding information about Saga Ruby going out of service? I was under the impression that she would sail on forever since she is a steel-hulled ship. I know she has a 2012 World Cruise so I'm confused.

What ports will you be visiting on Artemis?

Ruby

A friend who works in shipping in Southampton told me, but his info could be wrong - I certainly hope so, but then Saga Rose was a steel-hulled ship, as was QE2 :(

We go to Oslo, Copenhagen, Amsterdam and Bruges. As I am not so keen on Amsterdam, I have opted for a totally touristy trip to Volendam and Marken !! The others I will DIY.

A friend who works in shipping in Southampton told me, but his info could be wrong - I certainly hope so, but then Saga Rose was a steel-hulled ship, as was QE2

My face is red! O' course Saga Ruby is a steel-hulled ship. Onboard the ship, before Saga Rose left service, the story was that Rose has/had a wooden superstructure which could not, and did not, pass SOLAS rules. Ruby is in good shape in regard to SOLAS but nary a word was spoken about Ruby going out of service. So colour me curious.

Your Artemis ports reminded me that the movie, In Bruges, is a marvy advert for that lovely city. I have no clue about Volendam and Marken - what is the draw for those two cities?

Ruby

From Wikipedia -

Volendam is a popular tourist attraction in the Netherlands, well-known for its old fishing boats and the traditional clothing still worn by some residents. The women's costume of Volendam, with its high, pointed bonnet, is one of the most recognizable of the Dutch traditional costumes, and is often featured on tourist postcards and posters (although there are believed to be fewer than 50 women now wearing the costume as part of their daily lives, most of them elderly). There is a regular ferry connection to Marken, a peninsula close by.

As I said - touristy, but I though as it is mid December it might be nicer without the crowds. It's where they make Edam cheese.

I'll keep my ear to the ground re Saga Ruby - perhaps he got it all wrong...I hope !

Marion - I was musing about ports on the east coast of Oz. I have done the Sydney/Brisbane/Darwin route and, as we discussed, I have spent time at Reef House in Palm Cove while using Cairns as a location for food and tourist shopping.

But I don't have a shred of a clue about a port in Cairns. I was at the shopping mall and the airport for a chopper tour, but where is the port and why did I never see cruise ships in the Port Douglas/Cairns area? Considering that I was in a helicopter for four hours over that coastline, why didn't I see cruise ships or at least a port terminal?

ships cat - will you be having a "hats and horns" celebration on Wednesday when your book is published?

Ruby

Royal Caribbean will add single-occupancy cabins on two of its ships during their next refurbishment. That is great news. They have finally stood up and taken notice that solo cruisers need to be catered to. I hope that this trend will grow through the other cruise lines.

Norwegian Epic has an area of single-occupancy cabins with its own lounge so that singles can socialize with each other, but I am not looking for a Playboy Mansion experience. I'd rather have the cabins mixed with the rest.

Donald.

That certainly is a step in the right direction Donald, although as you say, I don't want to be segregrated.

Ruby - I'm not sure what a "hats and horns" celebration is but my copies arrived today and they are fabulous !! Even better than I expected with lovely glossy paper and full colour throughout. I'm about to open a bottle of chilled bubbly and sit and read it through - yes I know I wrote it, but it's somehow different when you actually see the finished article. I've been fondling one all evening on and off ;) My co-author is away on holiday in Florida so won't even see one before he comes home in three weeks time !!

Edited by ships cat

Marion - I was musing about ports on the east coast of Oz. I have done the Sydney/Brisbane/Darwin route and, as we discussed, I have spent time at Reef House in Palm Cove while using Cairns as a location for food and tourist shopping.

But I don't have a shred of a clue about a port in Cairns. I was at the shopping mall and the airport for a chopper tour, but where is the port and why did I never see cruise ships in the Port Douglas/Cairns area? Considering that I was in a helicopter for four hours over that coastline, why didn't I see cruise ships or at least a port terminal?

Ruby

Ruby - Passenger Cruise ships tender at Yorkey's Knob, one of Cairns northern beaches 15 mins from the city. They also tender at Port Douglas.

From the air, you are much more likely to see many container ships than large cruise ships in northern Queensland.

However, the cruise industry is growing in Australia, with more ships being repositioned Down Under for your winter season, September to April.

I plan to cruise on one next September from Vancouver. Not sure which one yet!

Publishing Day! That must be a real thrill.

I hope Amazon.com remembers my reservation and contacts me in a timely manner.

I hope it won't be too long Michael, but with the weather crisis here at the moment, I don't know how long it will be before the books can be shipped over your side of the pond. I am just praying I will make it to Southampton in a week and a half time !! Prediction is for -20C tonight !

Edited by ships cat

I am just praying I will make it to Southampton in a week and a half time !! Prediction is for -20C tonight !

I have been gobsmacked to watch the weather woes on your side of the Atlantic, especially in the UK. And to see your note about -20C is astounding. I heard that Gatwick is closed for the second day in a row.

All this reminds me of our Texas weather - we don't have severe winter weather often enough to justify buying snowplows, etc. So we stay home until it clears up while listening to the faint sound of Yankees laughing at us wimpy kids. [heavy sigh]

Here's to your sailing out in good weather. In the meantime, you can enjoy the beauty of your book on amazon.co.uk - it is a grand accomplishment. How many copies are the authors allowed to have gratis?

Ruby

I have been gobsmacked to watch the weather woes on your side of the Atlantic, especially in the UK. And to see your note about -20C is astounding. I heard that Gatwick is closed for the second day in a row.

All this reminds me of our Texas weather - we don't have severe winter weather often enough to justify buying snowplows, etc. So we stay home until it clears up while listening to the faint sound of Yankees laughing at us wimpy kids. [heavy sigh]

Here's to your sailing out in good weather. In the meantime, you can enjoy the beauty of your book on amazon.co.uk - it is a grand accomplishment. How many copies are the authors allowed to have gratis?

Ruby

That is our problem too Ruby, although if we stay at home we lose pay, even we cannot get to work!! Yes Gatwick is closed again and the forecast is for another 10-12 inches in the east tonight. We have escaped the worst of it so far where I live, but I have a snow shovel in the car just in case !

Re the book, we get 10 copies between the two of us - the most I have ever had from a publisher - but these are for those who have helped us the most such as the captain etc. for allowing us such great access to the ship. I cannot wait for some of the crew to see it !!

I hope it won't be too long Michael, but with the weather crisis here at the moment, I don't know how long it will be before the books can be shipped over your side of the pond. I am just praying I will make it to Southampton in a week and a half time !! Prediction is for -20C tonight !

How is the weather shaping up for a sailaway from Soton? Fingers crossed that the weather sends you into the high seas instead of slamming the door in your face. Digression - do y'all use the phrase "Soton" or is that a Cockney expression?

By the bye, "hats and horns" is an American idiom for New Year's Day celebrations or any other loud and happy occasion - like authoring a beautiful book about ships.

Ruby

How is the weather shaping up for a sailaway from Soton? Fingers crossed that the weather sends you into the high seas instead of slamming the door in your face. Digression - do y'all use the phrase "Soton" or is that a Cockney expression?

By the bye, "hats and horns" is an American idiom for New Year's Day celebrations or any other loud and happy occasion - like authoring a beautiful book about ships.

Ruby

I really do not want to tempt fate Ruby - superstitious, moi ????? However, I have started packing :) It is still bitterly cold with heavy hoar frost on the trees every morning. Today however was positively balmy at around 1C! Scotland and the north are still under inches of snow but it is the ice everywhere that is the main danger on the roads. We are supposed to have a brief respite over the weekend but then colder again next week. Some parts of the country are colder than Greenland. Fortunatley I am of the generation that still has warm winter clothing. I refuse to turn the heating up too much (I dread the bills come January) and just pile on socks and a thermal vest. Some young people do not even own a winter coat !

Soton is not a Cockney expression, it is an official shortened version of Southampton although properly it should So'ton. Thanks for the explanation of Hats and Horns. I had never heard it before.

Ships cat, I don't touch the thermostat in my apartment until at around 4:30 p.m. when the sun is gone and the chill is beginning to be felt indoors. I keep the thermostat on until around 8 p.m., after which the residual heat will still keep the place comfortable until it's time for bed at around 10 p.m. The rest of the day I put on a sweater or a heavy bathrobe if it's cold in the apartment.

I always sleep much better under heavy blankets in a cold room. :)

Is the unseasonably cold and snowy weather in the UK the result from the Icelandic volcano eruption?

Donald.

Ships cat, I don't touch the thermostat in my apartment until at around 4:30 p.m. when the sun is gone and the chill is beginning to be felt indoors. I keep the thermostat on until around 8 p.m., after which the residual heat will still keep the place comfortable until it's time for bed at around 10 p.m. The rest of the day I put on a sweater or a heavy bathrobe if it's cold in the apartment.

I always sleep much better under heavy blankets in a cold room. :)

Is the unseasonably cold and snowy weather in the UK the result from the Icelandic volcano eruption?

Donald.

I usually leave mine around the 62 degree mark and snuggle under a fleecy blanket if necessary while watching TV ! I have no idea what has caused the weather, except the winds were from the north east where normally they would be westerleys. We have a brief respite today where it is positively balmy at 4! I see Israel are having serious forest fires so I guess the weather is all upside down again everywhere. Certainly non one has mentioned Iceland, except in the context of it being warmer there!!

Not wanting to jinx your sailaway, but what is the weather forecast for your departure? Will the roads be in acceptable condition for you to get to So'ton? I have a strange thought that your northern itinerary may prove to be warmer than in the UK.

You'll be the belle of the ball onboard Artemis with your new book. You, the Master, and the crew should have a grand old time with the hardcopy result of your combined efforts.

Bon voyage and bon chance, ships cat.

Ruby

Not wanting to jinx your sailaway, but what is the weather forecast for your departure? Will the roads be in acceptable condition for you to get to So'ton? I have a strange thought that your northern itinerary may prove to be warmer than in the UK.

Bon voyage and bon chance, ships cat.

Ruby

Believe me Ruby, I keep checking the forecast hourly! It will be cold with possible ice on roads so I will change my route to take more major roads. As for warmer in Oslo - well I thought so earlier in the week but the forecast is for heavy snow there on Thursday - the day we are supposed to be there! To be honest, as long as I get on board I don't care if I sit in the bar all day!

I must admit I am really looking forward to showing them the book. When we started the project I was really worried we couldn't do the ship justice, or at least meet their increasingly high expectations, but I hope we've pulled it off. Just a pity Andrew couldn't sail with me, although he'll be on board for the day on the 21st.

Royal Caribbean will add single-occupancy cabins on two of its ships during their next refurbishment. That is great news. Donald.

Back in the day on Royal Viking, I had solo cabins. It's amusing to remember what would now be called a "tiny" cabin but I was happy as a clam. Later, in the early 90s, we had TVs with live cam (which was a huge innovation) and let me feel as though I were standing at the bow as we cut thru the blue and green seas.

In those days, my sofa turned into a twin "bed" at night. The mattress was some kind of stuffed bolster. Colour me thrilled when actual bed mattresses began making their appearance.

Which leads me to my point (she has a point? Oh goody!) In the Brilliance of the Seas incident where she was in heavy seas outside of Alexandria, I have seen pix of cabin furniture that went walking during the storms. I was fascinated to see that beds nowadays can get loose and take a stroll around the interior of the cabin.

Donald, do all single cabins have free-standing beds? Would the Brilliance scenario be a standard event on other ships during stormy seas?

Ruby

Donald, do all single cabins have free-standing beds? Would the Brilliance scenario be a standard event on other ships during stormy seas?

Ruby

Ruby, the only "single cabin" that I've been in was aboard the old Westerdam in 1999. It originally had two single beds, one on each side of the cabin, but one of these had been removed and replaced by a chair and a table. It looked quite roomy.

On all of my other cruises, there always have been two free-standing beds that are either separated on opposite sides of the cabin or joined together to make a large bed in the middle of the cabin. One would think that these would crash around the cabin in turbulent seas, but despite going through a few stormy experiences that has not happened to me. Brilliance must have been in extraordinary exceptional sea conditions.

Donald.

Wishing you all the joys of Christmas, good health, and best wishes for happy travels in the New Year.

I would like to echo Marion's message for the Christmas season and send my personal best wishes to everyone on this thread for a safe and healthy New Year. This year's autumn and winter weather has been a bit of a challenge to many people - here's hoping the storms and snow ease by early next year.

As the media shows the effects of snow, wind, and heavy rains in western Europe, I wonder how ships cat is doing. On the assumption that Artemis gets back to So'ton in good order. can she get home on the icy roads? And this was supposed to be a vacation? What a huggle-muggle!

Marion - I have been focused on the beastly weather in the UK but saw a brief news bit about Oz. I think it was showing severe flooding. What is going on weather-wise from your side of the world? Are you affected by nasty effects of weather?

Ruby

I would like to echo Marion's message for the Christmas season and send my personal best wishes to everyone on this thread for a safe and healthy New Year. This year's autumn and winter weather has been a bit of a challenge to many people - here's hoping the storms and snow ease by early next year.

As the media shows the effects of snow, wind, and heavy rains in western Europe, I wonder how ships cat is doing. On the assumption that Artemis gets back to So'ton in good order. can she get home on the icy roads? And this was supposed to be a vacation? What a huggle-muggle!

Marion - I have been focused on the beastly weather in the UK but saw a brief news bit about Oz. I think it was showing severe flooding. What is going on weather-wise from your side of the world? Are you affected by nasty effects of weather?

Ruby

I have also been wondering how Ships Cat has been going on her cruise on Artemis, as I watch the effects of record snowfalls in UK and Europe.

Yes, we've had widespread torrential rainfalls and severe flooding in the eastern states, Ruby. It was reported that Carnarvon region in Western Australia, which is now flooded, received almost its annual rainfall in one day.

It is a beautiful sunny day here today, but one wonders how the campers, on school holidays, are going to manage this Christmas.

Edited by MMDown Under

I'm home...just !! The drive down was actually fine and I arrived early. Our week in Scandinavia was perfect - fresh crisp clean snow, lots of Gluwein or Glog to drink, and a toasty ship to come back to. OUr tour to Volendam and Marken was inspired as they are small villlages (well Marken is) of old painted timber houses. It was Sunday and the carillon was sounding for church and the deep snow was untouched. It was like stepping into a Flemish Old Master painting or one by maybe Brueghal. Flocks of snipe dotted the white fields and skeins of geese flew overhead southwards - totally magical and wonderful.

The drive home took a good hour longer than usual but it was my home town that was the worst. I only just made it up the hill to my flat and was just SOOOOO relieved to get the car tucked up in the garage and the luggage up and home.

The book went down brilliantly. Everyone has said how good they find it and it was so exciting to hand over a wrapped copy and watch some of the crew members get to see it for the first time. ANNNNNNND I may be asked as a speaker on the final cruise ! How brilliant is that !!! I am now colder here than I was in snowy Holland or Norway so am off to bed with a hot drink and will unpack tomorrow. Happy Seasonal Greetings everyone.

Ships cat, it sounded as if you had a great trip! I'm delighted to hear that the ship's staff enjoyed your book, and that you've been invited to speak on the final cruise (which would be a freebie for you, right?). :)

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Donald.