P&O drinks package

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

Unregistered, just back from your P&O cruise? Get published on Cruise Critic; Write a Review!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 07:00 AM.
901 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by majortom10
MSC were advertising some cruises sailing from Southampton next summer pay inside get free upgrade to balcony, free parking and you could purchase a fully inclusive drinks package for £18 per day. That might ruffle a few feathers at P&O and affect bookings.
The MSC experience is totally different to P&O, so not sure that most seasoned P&O cruisers would be tempted. However, those new to cruising might think it is a good deal.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
hampshire england
1,414 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
We certainly wouldn't be tempted to try MSC, not even by the offers mentioned. It would still be plus the 18% on board and having seen an MSC cruise on the Jane Macdonald programme it doesn't attract us at all.
Staffordshire
1,928 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by wowzz
The MSC experience is totally different to P&O, so not sure that most seasoned P&O cruisers would be tempted. However, those new to cruising might think it is a good deal.

Sent from my SM-T700 using Forums mobile app
Looking at the prices being offered and the standard of MSC Magnifica and the option of an all inclusive drinks package so you would have no extra costs I think would sway a lot of P&O passengers. Granted the die hard "loyalists" will still go with P&O and moan for the whole cruise about "standards" and "not the same since Carnival took over" but think there will be a significant number would be prepared to try it. Think P&O are living in the past when a recent big announcement of a new show about Dusty Springfield proves my point they want theyounger generation to cruise with them but insist on acts and music from the dark ages. A lot of people cruising now would have never heard of Dusty Springfield and the usual music the acts sing.
Surrey, UK
1,429 Posts
Joined May 2006
I cannot understand why some P&O cruisers would not want a Drinks Package introduced. I would rather have a Celebrity Cruise with a free drinks package than a P&O one without it. P&O could always do what Celebrity do and use it as a selling point. I think maybe responses to customer surveys stops them introducing it.
We have a Celebrity Baltic booked next year with Balcony and free drinks package for 2100 each, we would pay that or more for the same cruise on P&O and still have to buy drinks.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Staffordshire
1,928 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by bee-ess
I cannot understand why some P&O cruisers would not want a Drinks Package introduced. I would rather have a Celebrity Cruise with a free drinks package than a P&O one without it. P&O could always do what Celebrity do and use it as a selling point. I think maybe responses to customer surveys stops them introducing it.
We have a Celebrity Baltic booked next year with Balcony and free drinks package for 2100 each, we would pay that or more for the same cruise on P&O and still have to buy drinks.
Simple really not everyone drinks alcohol and although Celebrity include soft drinks and speciality coffees it is not free it is included in the cruise fare on Ocean View or higher so therefore makes the cruises expensive.
Surrey, UK
1,429 Posts
Joined May 2006
Originally posted by majortom10
Simple really not everyone drinks alcohol and although Celebrity include soft drinks and speciality coffees it is not free it is included in the cruise fare on Ocean View or higher so therefore makes the cruises expensive.
I understand that is built into the price but I compared the same cruise on P&O, Princess and Celebrity to Baltic and Celebrity with the 'free' drinks package was the cheapest. That was my point.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

P&O (20): Old Arcadia, Arcadia, Aurora(2), Azura(3), Britannia(2),Oceana(2), Oriana(5), Ventura(4)
Celebrity (4): Summit, Solstice, Eclipse, Silhouette
Thomson (3): Emerald(3)
Princess (2): Diamond Princess, Emerald Princess
RCI (1): Radiance of the Seas
Holland and America (1): Eurodam
Premier Cruises (1): Rembrandt
Dolphin Cruises (1): Island Breeze
Sun Cruises(1): Sunbird
Manchester, UK
10,241 Posts
Joined Apr 2005
Originally posted by annieuk
We certainly wouldn't be tempted to try MSC, not even by the offers mentioned. It would still be plus the 18% on board and having seen an MSC cruise on the Jane Macdonald programme it doesn't attract us at all.

Actually it’s 15% gratuity on MSC, 18% on RCI Celebrity and NCL

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Peteukmcr from Manchester, UK

hampshire england
1,414 Posts
Joined Jul 2004
Even 15% is more than 0% - we have cruised with Cunard and even after only 5 nights we really noticed the difference that having 15% added to our on board spend made, added to which the wine is so much more expensive than P&O.
Staffordshire
1,928 Posts
Joined Sep 2010
Originally posted by bee-ess
I understand that is built into the price but I compared the same cruise on P&O, Princess and Celebrity to Baltic and Celebrity with the 'free' drinks package was the cheapest. That was my point.
Never book a Princess cruise early they are notoriously expensive but always drop significantly we have booked for May and has dropped considerably since it first went on sale.
London
42 Posts
Joined Jan 2015
Originally posted by davidk800
Having been on three P&O cruises IV food the system easy to use,the prices on wine were reasonable, plus the ability to bring some wine , spirits,or beer was a bonus.
Were due to have our first cruise with Celebrity,next year.
The drinks package is about £45 a day for their standard package. The drinks are expensive plus there is a 18% service charge on top.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app
We have booked our next Celebrity cruise direct with them and not through an agent. We got the Classic Package included for about the same price, not sure if they're still doing that. We didn't pay anything extra for service charge, etc. Can't remember the exact figures but it wasn't a bad deal.
5 Posts
Joined Oct 2017
Unfortunately our cruise doesn't include a drink package.
It's part of a cruise which includes extra days at the beginning and ending of the cruise.
P&O prices are on a par with hotel prices in the UK.
Celebrity seem to be more expensive plus there is 18% service charge each drink.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Forums mobile app