[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 10:47 AM.
Southern NJ near Philly
6,856 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Originally posted by pr0pel
I'm going to preach/second the common feedback here to not redeem for OBC. On a cruise I booked this week where they had the 'Take 5' deal, I booked an OF and redeemed 30K points for an upgrade to BC. The difference in fare was over $2,000 on just a 7 day cruise. For us, this was a no brainer since DW cannot stand a room without a balcony. I learned my lesson after trying a porthole a few years back!
That is why some people like vanilla and some like chocolate. Personally, I would not pay the 300 that the 30k points are worth to upgrade to a balcony, let alone the 2000 that NCL is charging on your booked cruise. I'd use it towards Vibe passes and specialty dining. People like their balconies since they don't have to battle the crowds and they can relax at their leisure. I would prefer to relax on the upgraded loungers in the Vibe and partake with being spoiled there. Once again, it all comes down to personal preference. Some people never go back to an inside once they have had a balcony, I feel the same way about the drink packages. Thank goodness I can get them for only the 18% gratuity.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Escape 9/2/17 Western Caribbean
Norwegian Escape 1/21/17 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Escape 7/31/16 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox 11/20/15 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Freedom 1/25/15 Eastern Caribbean

RCI Independence of the Seas 4/6/14 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette 3/30/14 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 10/19/13 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 1/13/13 Western Caribbean

RCI Explorer of the Seas 8/30/12
Bermuda/Eastern

Carnival Spirit 9/23/11 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 7/21/11 Canada
Carnival Imagination 1/17/11 Western Caribbean
Carnival Valor 8/30/09 Western Caribbean
Carnival Freedom 1/25/09 Western Caribbean
Carnival Imagination 1/28/08 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 12/22/07 Western Caribbean
Carnival Victory 8/30/07 Canada
Carnival Valor 12/24/06 Western Caribbean
Carnival Destiny 6/30/02 Southern Caribbean
RCI Monarch of the Seas 12/20/01 Western Caribbean
Carnival Destiny 7/1/01 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 8/4/96 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon 1995
Carnival Fascination 7/24/94 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Tropicale 6/26/93 Southern Caribbean
Carnival ? Summer 91 Canada
Carnival Jubilee 7/86 Western Caribbean
The Big Red Boat (1), Majesty Cruise Line (1)
New York, NY
507 Posts
Joined Jul 2007
Originally posted by SNJCruisers
That is why some people like vanilla and some like chocolate. Personally, I would not pay the 300 that the 30k points are worth to upgrade to a balcony, let alone the 2000 that NCL is charging on your booked cruise. I'd use it towards Vibe passes and specialty dining. People like their balconies since they don't have to battle the crowds and they can relax at their leisure. I would prefer to relax on the upgraded loungers in the Vibe and partake with being spoiled there. Once again, it all comes down to personal preference. Some people never go back to an inside once they have had a balcony, I feel the same way about the drink packages. Thank goodness I can get them for only the 18% gratuity.
I agree on the personal preference --- I was just sharing my score. For us, it was worth the 30K points, but to others, not really. We travel with 2 kids under 10 so Vibe is out of the question. With the take 5, we already get the 3SDP and UBP so dropping 30K on the upgrade was a no brainer, especially when we already got free DSC for pax 1 and 2, and $150 OBC. I'll gladly pay DSC for pax 3 and 4 for triple points.

Anyway, since redemption rates for OBC/cash is .01/point, I will just say that putting your every day spending on this card just to redeem for OBC is a horrible rate. If you're only charging NCL expenses on this for the 3pts/$1, then that's a great deal to redeem for OBC or meta upgrades. There are way better cards out there for every day spend but we'll save that for another forum.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Email: pr0pel (at) outlook.com (it's a zero)
Southern NJ near Philly
6,856 Posts
Joined Nov 2010
Got my card for free..used it once, redeemed my 100 in OBC, never looked back.
Did the same with cards from Celebrity, RCI and Carnival.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

Norwegian Escape 9/2/17 Western Caribbean
Norwegian Escape 1/21/17 Eastern Caribbean
Norwegian Escape 7/31/16 Western Caribbean

Celebrity Equinox 11/20/15 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Freedom 1/25/15 Eastern Caribbean

RCI Independence of the Seas 4/6/14 Western Caribbean
Celebrity Silhouette 3/30/14 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Summit 10/19/13 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Breeze 1/13/13 Western Caribbean

RCI Explorer of the Seas 8/30/12
Bermuda/Eastern

Carnival Spirit 9/23/11 Mexican Riviera
Carnival Glory 7/21/11 Canada
Carnival Imagination 1/17/11 Western Caribbean
Carnival Valor 8/30/09 Western Caribbean
Carnival Freedom 1/25/09 Western Caribbean
Carnival Imagination 1/28/08 Eastern Caribbean
Carnival Liberty 12/22/07 Western Caribbean
Carnival Victory 8/30/07 Canada
Carnival Valor 12/24/06 Western Caribbean
Carnival Destiny 6/30/02 Southern Caribbean
RCI Monarch of the Seas 12/20/01 Western Caribbean
Carnival Destiny 7/1/01 Southern Caribbean
Carnival Sensation 8/4/96 Eastern Caribbean
Celebrity Horizon 1995
Carnival Fascination 7/24/94 Eastern Caribbean

Carnival Tropicale 6/26/93 Southern Caribbean
Carnival ? Summer 91 Canada
Carnival Jubilee 7/86 Western Caribbean
The Big Red Boat (1), Majesty Cruise Line (1)
North Texas
630 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
I just used some of my points (60,000) to do a double meta upgrade from interior to balcony on an Alaska cruise in May 2018. The whole process was very easy.

I called NCL and talked to a PCC and made the reservation for an inside cabin. Then they transferred me to a World Points rep who took care of the upgrade. She found me a starboard cabin on deck 10. The whole thing only took 24 minutes.

This was my first time to use points and I was very pleased with the whole process.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
08-16-2009 Star Princess (Alaska Inside Passage)
11-05-2011 Norwegian Jade (Lands of the Bible)
01-20-2013 Mariner of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
01-24-2015 Norwegian Jewel (Western Caribbean)
01-30-2016 Norwegian Jade (W. Caribbean)
04-27-2017 AmaLyra (Paris to Normandy river cruise)
01-21-2018 Liberty of the Seas (Western Caribbean)
05-26-2018 Norwegian Jewel (Alaska)

melbourne Florida
937 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by hawk1972
I just used some of my points (60,000) to do a double meta upgrade from interior to balcony on an Alaska cruise in May 2018. The whole process was very easy.

I called NCL and talked to a PCC and made the reservation for an inside cabin. Then they transferred me to a World Points rep who took care of the upgrade. She found me a starboard cabin on deck 10. The whole thing only took 24 minutes.

This was my first time to use points and I was very pleased with the whole process.
I too just redeemed 60,000 points for a double meta upgrade.

Major score again!!!! I saved over $5000 in the difference from an inside to a Balcony on a 30 night south America cruise on the Sun.

Steve
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North Texas
630 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by mscdivina2016
I too just redeemed 60,000 points for a double meta upgrade.

Major score again!!!! I saved over $5000 in the difference from an inside to a Balcony on a 30 night south America cruise on the Sun.

Steve
We didn't save that much, but it was about $2500.

Sent from my SM-G930P using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

North Texas
630 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
Originally posted by mscdivina2016
Still great!!

Steve
I thought so. Well worth it. Still have lots of points left to use on future cruises.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

PA, USA
1,013 Posts
Joined Jul 2003
Originally posted by hawk1972

Thanks for this. This is exactly what we hope to do for an Alaska cruise in 2019!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
c breeze

Norwegian Cruise Line
Royal Caribbean
Disney
Holland America
Home Lines (merged into Holland America in 1988)

North Texas
630 Posts
Joined Jan 2009
When I made the original call I told the PCC what I was planning to do and he was familiar with the upgrade process using points.

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

84 Posts
Joined May 2003
Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin and used the 30,000 points to upgrade? We are being told that we cannot upgrade from an Oceanview Guarantee to a Balcony Guarantee. We would have to pay for an assigned Oceanview cabin to upgrade to a Balcony at a cost of $1800 to us PLUS the 30,000 points. Does this sound right?
melbourne Florida
937 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by Calif. Cruisers
Has anyone ever booked a guaranteed cabin and used the 30,000 points to upgrade? We are being told that we cannot upgrade from an Oceanview Guarantee to a Balcony Guarantee. We would have to pay for an assigned Oceanview cabin to upgrade to a Balcony at a cost of $1800 to us PLUS the 30,000 points. Does this sound right?
Can't be done. Meta upgrades must be category to category. Such as ib to ob or bb. Look at outside categories and see what balcony category matches. As a rule never choose lowest as there may be no lowest available in the uograde category.
Steve

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

84 Posts
Joined May 2003
So Guaranteed is not a category? Does it actually say this somewhere, that you can't upgrade from a guarantee cabin?
I will just keep watching the cruise, and maybe the cabin prices in other outside 'categories' will go down before final payment (they already have fluctuated up and then back down in the past month.) I am fine with where we are actually but thought since we had the points we might as well use them for the upgrade.
84 Posts
Joined May 2003
Initially I was told we couldn't upgrade because they had assigned us a cabin already, so 'had already been upgraded', so I asked them to move me back to guaranteed. They then said I can't be upgraded. There are 'Guarantee Balconies' available.
Just want to be sure I am not getting an inexperienced employee, who doesn't know what they are talking about. I have made several calls and at one point was told that their 'supervisor' would call my travel agent to handle this. Never happened. We had to call them back.
Brandon (Tampa), FL
1,315 Posts
Joined Jul 2009
The way they do these cross meta upgrade varies from ship to ship and sometimes even cruise to cruise. That means that an OX doesn't always upgrade to a BX. Perhaps, on your cruise, an OA upgrades to a BX... or maybe nothing upgrades to a BX. It seems to be arbitrary. I would call them back and ask for each balcony category to upgrade to what oceanview category you would need to book and then go from there.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
*** Upcoming ***
NCL Dawn - Western Caribbean - 3/4/2018
NCL Pearl - Panama Canal - 11/25/2018
NCL Bliss - Eastern Caribbean - 2/23/2019
NCL Pride of America - Hawaii - 11/2/2019
melbourne Florida
937 Posts
Joined Jun 2016
Originally posted by Calif. Cruisers
So Guaranteed is not a category? Does it actually say this somewhere, that you can't upgrade from a guarantee cabin?
I will just keep watching the cruise, and maybe the cabin prices in other outside 'categories' will go down before final payment (they already have fluctuated up and then back down in the past month.) I am fine with where we are actually but thought since we had the points we might as well use them for the upgrade.
If you go to the bank of America sight and look up rewards you can find a meta upgrade and see it is in writing as well as a few other disclaimers. Some ships have no outside rooms so they are excluded.
If you wait, the cheaper categories will sell out and you will need to pay the rate for higher to get a balcony.

Steve

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Forums mobile app
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature

84 Posts
Joined May 2003
Finally got this straightened out by calling back and asking for a supervisor. This is something that some employees do not understand, and others do- so keep pursuing if the first person you talk to doesn't seem to understand.
You CAN upgrade from OX to BX.