NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I am guessing it means you cannot apply it to receive a credit "after" you have cruised. In other words, it has to be accompanied by a current reservation. Also, now reading a copy of one I have, it seems the "cruise-related travel deposits" may be referring to you can not use them on your credit card toward airfare/hotel charges to get you to/from the cruise ship. Who knows???

The only problem with this program is that there isn't anyone to call to get a straight answer to these questions. If you call ten times, you get ten different answers. :o

I, on the other hand, have never had a single problem using my Compass Rewards certificates. I have used about $25,000 worth of these certificates since getting my first card in 1997.

Please report back with results, good or bad, so others can have even more information to base their decisions on.

John

John, On the "I just don't get NCL" thread I started when NCL lost my certificates, you siad "yes, I've had a few go missing but BOA replaced them..." Or something like that...

I commend your positive attitude, I would see a few lost certificates as a problem.

Anyway, I was finally able to pay NCL for my upcoming cruise. The certificates that they insisted they mailed were in account applications (not to be confused with account services) when I called to find out which ones they applied and had not applied.

They had no record of ever trying to mail the certificates - my TA and I must have imagined the whole thing. They were just waiting for a letter from BOA naming my wife as an authorized card user - for six weeks.

As this did not sound like the BOA I deal with, I asked for their fax number and called BOA to get the letter.

The first person to pick up the phone at BOA was able to provide the letter. She provided her first and last name (without me having to ask) and started the conversation with "how may I exceed your expectaions today?" I asked her to fax the letter to NCL and then to me. She told me it would take 1/2 hr and I had the fax in 10 minutes. Oh yeah she also concluded the conversation by giving me her full name and direct extension and asked "have I exceeded your

expectations today?" One more thing, she had a record tha said a similar letter was faxed to NCL 5 days ago.

So I call NCL back and I think I get the same rep after three voice menus (who did not provide her name or extension on either call). I give the same story all over again and she replies "we're still waiting on the letter from NCL" I told her to check the fax number she just gave me and it was not there.

I told her that BOA sent me a copy, I'd resend while she holds. She suggested I try a differnet number as the number she gave me the first time "didn't always work so good....."

So I fax it to the second number, and hold for 10 minutes while she goes to get it.......

She came back and explained that the fax wasn't a fax at all, but a computer with a back log and it was still not there (you can't make this stuff up).

"I have a confirmation that it went through in my hands....."

She replied that "we'd just have to wait for it to come through and I should call back later."

I asked her if there were any regular fax machines around her.... she thought about it and went to get another number. The number she gave me this time worked!!!!!!!

"Thats all we need to apply the certificates and we'll do that in a few minutes."

"Can I hold while you do this?"

"No but I'll send you an e-mail in a few minutes that its done."

So I hang up....After two hours no I mail.... I call back get someone else who says they have not been applied. "Shes got a lot of those things to enter and says she'll get to it by the end of the day."

I called back at the end of the day and they were, in fact, applied. 2 days later still no e-mail.

My agent about fell out of her chair when I called to pay the small remaining balance - they had told her in no uncertain terms that they could not do what they eventually did, and the guy she talked to was explicit that he had personally mailed the certificates.

I guess for some, this would not be a problem, but I would feel better If NCL was more proacitve in dealing with these situations. Working fax machines and folks who gave their name and extension would be nice too.

Neilstuber: As your posts can verify, these certificates are work. They are not for people who are not organized and do not follow up on things. They will definitely fall in the cracks if you let them. When all is said and done, we have always received all of our certificates credited correctly, but it is something you can not give up on. Do not take no for an answer and keep pushing until you get the answer you need. We have used approximately $6000 in these certificates so it is definitely worth it but man-oh-man there must be a way to make it easier.

A heads up for those of you who book through a travel agency- you will only receive the standard 3% credit towards points, not the 4% bonus rate promised for NCL purchases. Unless the charge comes directly from NCL, you don't get the bonus.

I went through several layers of supervisors with BOA, and the last even researched it, and called me back a couple of days later. I even offered to fax my cruise statement to them, but no dice.

Maybe a way for NCL to encourage you to book direct with them and save the TA commission...???? In any case, it would have been nice if they had made this policy clear when they were advertising the card!!!!!

A heads up for those of you who book through a travel agency- you will only receive the standard 3% credit towards points, not the 4% bonus rate promised for NCL purchases. Unless the charge comes directly from NCL, you don't get the bonus.

I went through several layers of supervisors with BOA, and the last even researched it, and called me back a couple of days later. I even offered to fax my cruise statement to them, but no dice.

Maybe a way for NCL to encourage you to book direct with them and save the TA commission...???? In any case, it would have been nice if they had made this policy clear when they were advertising the card!!!!!

This may not be completely accurate. If the TA charges the card through NCL you get the full 4%. If they charge it to the TA and then pay NCL by check or its credit card you don't get the 4% as its not an NCL charge. Have you spoken with NCL about the way the TA does this? It may be a problem with NCL since they want the charge through them and not the TA. As with most things there are exceptions to this, ie. when the TA(or the buying group the TA belongs too) buys the rooms pays for them and then resells then for what it can get. It may also not apply where the TA is selling a group booking.

but thanks for the heads up....

We have always booked through TAs and receive the 4%. Our cc statement comes in with "NCL Reservations" as the person charging. It seems our TAs are only middlemen for customer service but do not lay out any money to NCL. They merely tell us how much NCL will be charging our account for deposits, final payments, etc.

Ive read in other post where the acct holder has viewed his accout on line? Does anyone have any info on how to go about setting that up? web site address?

thanks!!!

As someone said bankofamerica.com. Just remember although you can watch your purchases online, real time, bonus points are only viewable through the statements so are viewable on a month to month basis.

The certificate value is the point value. 2 $500 certificates will give you a $1000 payment (not really discount) on any NCL cruise. Read the caveats in previous posts. We have had 2 cards for many, many years and with our currently booked back-to-back will have received over $12,000 in reduced cruising. I can't think of a better affinity card. If only some of the other cruise lines would go from a 1% rebate to the NCL 3%!

We have accumulated the $1000 credit for our next cruise and are thrilled about this. Unfortunately, we have almost 6 months left until we are able to start accumulating for this next year. I have read from other posts that people in similar situations have requested a second card in their husband's/wife's name, so that they have two cards. Who do I contact to make this happen?

We have accumulated the $1000 credit for our next cruise and are thrilled about this. Unfortunately, we have almost 6 months left until we are able to start accumulating for this next year. I have read from other posts that people in similar situations have requested a second card in their husband's/wife's name, so that they have two cards. Who do I contact to make this happen?

https://wwwn.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=FAAH6C&mc=A0000028IT This is the link directly from NCL's website. We just applied about 3 weeks ago for our 2nd card and received and it took about 2 weeks to get here. We received instant approval from applying online.

You need to apply separately for a new account in the other persons name not add them to your current account. I know it sounds the same but its not.

This must be some kind of record.

I sent our three certificates via FedEx 2-day on 2/8, and NCL received them on 2/10. I just checked "My Cruises" on the NCL website today (Saturday, 10/13), and they have already been applied!

Just an update on the address I used (two addresses appear on the first page of this thread but haven't been mentioned since):

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attn: Accounting Department

7665 Corporate Center Dr

Miami FL 33126-1201

My cover letter contained our Booking Confirmation number, our names, the date of sailing and the ship name. I also mentioned that we booked direct with NCL, and I included both home telephone and cellphone numbers. Both of us signed each certificate (we have two cards and the certificates were from both cards).

This is the third time we have used Certificates, and we're just short of enough points for another certificate. This is WONDERFUL program! It sure is keeping us cruising with NCL.

This must be some kind of record.

I sent our three certificates via FedEx 2-day on 2/8, and NCL received them on 2/10. I just checked "My Cruises" on the NCL website today (Saturday, 10/13), and they have already been applied!

Just an update on the address I used (two addresses appear on the first page of this thread but haven't been mentioned since):

Norwegian Cruise Line

Attn: Accounting Department

7665 Corporate Center Dr

Miami FL 33126-1201

My cover letter contained our Booking Confirmation number, our names, the date of sailing and the ship name. I also mentioned that we booked direct with NCL, and I included both home telephone and cellphone numbers. Both of us signed each certificate (we have two cards and the certificates were from both cards).

This is the third time we have used Certificates, and we're just short of enough points for another certificate. This is WONDERFUL program! It sure is keeping us cruising with NCL.

I have a similar experience from this month. I sent mine in last Friday. October 5 by certified mail. They could have not been received before Tuesday 10/9 as Monday was Columbus day no mail service(except express mail). They were credited to my account yesterday. Also third trip on them.

Anyone know if this card will ever be available in Canada? :(

I checked into this last month, spent half a day on the telephone. The bottom line is that because we live in Canada. If we go into default they can't re-coup their monies . So My reply back was then find a canadian bank partner or make a deal with MBNA to run the NCL card. I think NCL is missing the boat on this issue.

I have done 4 cruises and the 5th will be in January. SO NCL I hope u r reading these threads.

I have a similar experience from this month. I sent mine in last Friday. October 5 by certified mail. They could have not been received before Tuesday 10/9 as Monday was Columbus day no mail service(except express mail). They were credited to my account yesterday. Also third trip on them.

Ours went in the mail on Oct 9, checked with the post office & they were delivered on Oct 16, credited to our acct on the 17th. We presently show a credit balance on "my cruises" so I'm waiting to see how long that takes to get backed out to the credit card. My wife & I were just discussing how nice it would be if they could just prepay our tips/service charge with some of the excess and give us an OBC for the remainder.

Requested a $500. voucher from B of A on 10/9. It was sent out at midnight that night and arrived today. But, because it hadn't arrived yesterday, I called all 4 numbers that I have for B of A and was on hold for 30 minutes.

A word to the wise ... NEVER call at lunch hour :eek:.