NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

A member suggested that I "sticky" a thread dedicated to the NCL Mastercard. Great idea! Please post all the facts you have on the card and the program and answer as many of those FAQ's that you've seen here on the board. You can even link to other threads on Cruise Critic if needed. Let's try to make this thread "Just The Facts" so members can get the information without having to search through pages of posts. Thanks!

• Like 1

Basic facts:

- Earn 25 Bonus Points after the first qualifying transaction

- Earn 4 Points for every $100 spent on Norwegian Cruise Line purchases*

- Earn 3 Points for every $100 spent on purchases*

- Redeem for stateroom upgrades or cruise discount. See Redemption Options for details

- No Annual Fee

* I've always received this in a % of purchases, thus you don't have to spend $100 to get 3 or 4 points, rather you 3% or 4% of your purchases (take your total monthly purchases, multiply by 3% for your monthly points earned. Add 1% for any NCL/NCLA purchases.

While there is also a 0% balance transfer option, this is generally not worthwhile since you'd be carrying a balance, and payments would go against the balance transfer instead of your purchases, meaning as an end result you'd be paying interest on your charges that are earning points (not necessarily the best way to utilize this card).

Application Info

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=FAAH6C&mc=A0000028IT

Application Link

https://wwwa.applyonlinenow.com/USCCapp/Ctl/entry?sc=FAAH6C&mc=A0000028IT#apply

You can earn up to $1000 per year, with a maximum of 250 points in any given month. This equates to a maximum of $33,333 in purchases annually, with a maximum of $8,333 in any given month.

Redemption Options:

Points Cruise Discounts

500 - $500 cruise discount

1,000 - $1,000 cruise discount

1,500 - $1,500 cruise discount

2,000 - $2,000 cruise discount

2,500 - $2,500 cruise discount

3,000 - $3,000 cruise discount

Points Stateroom Upgrades (generally NOT considered a wise use of points)

100 - One category upgrade for first person in stateroom

200 - One category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

300 - Two category upgrade for first person and one category upgrade for second person in stateroom

400 - Two category upgrade for first and second person in stateroom

To Redeem certificates:

Call the # on the back of the card (it should be 800 421-2110)

Ask the rep. if they're familiar with the Compass Rewards program, if they are, it should be a breeze, if not, you may be better off calling again till you get a rep who is familiar with the program.

Certificates come via regular mail, usually within 1-2 weeks, but to be safe, generally request at least 3-4 weeks before final payment is due.

Caveats

- Points expire in 3 years.

- Certificates expire 1 year from date of issuance. NOTE: you must SAIL by this expiration date, not turn the certificate(s) in to NCL.

- Discount Certificates are good towards final payment on any booked fare. You may book directly with NCL or with the TA of your choosing.

- Discount Certificates cannot "officially" be used against your deposit, however several users have posted that they've overpaid with the certificates and received credits on their credit cards for their previously paid deposits. That said, it's at your own risk, as the "official" policy in the card terms that any unused overages are lost.

- Cardholder or authorized user must reside in the cabin to use the certificates

- Photocopy both sides of your certificates before forwarding them to NCL!

- Certificates should be mailed directly to NCL Accounting to avoid problems. I generally use FEDEX to ensure delivery, while others recommend USPS Certified Return Receipt

- NCL Accounting's address is listed on the back of the certificate. I generally send to:

Attn: Accounting

Norwegian Cruise Lines

7665 Corporate Center Drive

Miami, FL 33126

- high spending users CAN have more than one account with Bank of America and thus earn additional points on the additional card(s)

• Like 2

WOW. Guess that says it all. I'm printing it for a reference guide. Have used my points for $1k off PofAl in 2005 and $1.5k on SUN in 2006. Should have another $1.5k for SPIRIT in 2008.

Just be careful with the balance transfers. I just got an NCL Mastercard and they wouldn't give me 0% balance transfers. I got 3% on balance transfers with a minimum of $50 fee. I have excellent credit and really pushed for the 0% interest as I have never had a problem getting it from other cards I applied for, but they wouldn't budge.

Also, in genereal I pay all of my bills of every month. This should be fine right? I didn't think to ask if the charges had to stay on the card for a specified time to receive the rewards.

Just be careful with the balance transfers. I just got an NCL Mastercard and they wouldn't give me 0% balance transfers. I got 3% on balance transfers with a minimum of $50 fee. I have excellent credit and really pushed for the 0% interest as I have never had a problem getting it from other cards I applied for, but they wouldn't budge.

Also, in genereal I pay all of my bills of every month. This should be fine right? I didn't think to ask if the charges had to stay on the card for a specified time to receive the rewards.

No you can pay it off every month and still get the points. That is actually what most of us do (is my guess)

Here are a couple of tips regarding mailing your certificates to NCL:

1. Be sure to fill out the reverse side of the certificate completely.

Make certain that you put the correct reservation number on the form as well as the travel agency you used (if any).

2. Make xerox copies of the certificate (both sides) for your records.

In case the unthinkable happens and your certificate is mysteriously lost, having copies will help you prove that you did send one in.

3. Address your envelope carefully to the address listed on the certificate.

Make certain the address is correct and legible, and also include your return address. Also make certain to write "ATTN: ACCOUNTING DEPARTMENT" on the lower left hand side of the envelope to ensure it gets processed by the correct department.

4. Mail your certificate well before the final payment date.

No use waiting to the last minute in case of problems. Order and mail your certificate as early as you would like to in order to give yourself time to fix any problems if they arise.

5. Include a copy of your reservation confirmation with your certificate.

This serves to help them match up the reservation with your payment.

6. (OPTIONAL - but recommended) Mail using some sort of delivery notification to be sure they got your certificate.

If you are worried the envelope might get lost in the mail, use either a priority mail envelope (with delivery confirmation) or registered mail to send it so that you have proof that it was delivered and they received it. In some cases I have sent mine in with a personal check for any remaining balance, so the receipt of the check at my bank was proof that they got the envelope, but in other cases its good to use registered or priority mail.

It takes up to two weeks from NCL's receipt of your certificate to be reflected on your balance, so do not be surprised if it doesn't show up immediately.

I have a silly question... I just got the ncl credit card. How can I check how many points I have? I know I can multiply my monthly purchases to figure it out, but does it say it anywhere? I havent gotten my first statement yet, and I don't see it online.

Thanks,

I have a silly question... I just got the ncl credit card. How can I check how many points I have? I know I can multiply my monthly purchases to figure it out, but does it say it anywhere? I havent gotten my first statement yet, and I don't see it online.

Thanks,

Points are awarded on your statement date... not before... so your total will only be available on your statements. Your statement will include a line item giving you a summary of points for the month, bonus points, and your new total.

Until you get your first statement, you officially have NO points :)

I recently applied for and received 2 new Bank of America credit cards - one account has a $2,500.00 limit and the other has a $1,000.00 limit. After charging some stuff and returning it, I wound up with a credit on the higher limit card. Since I had a balance owed on the other card, I used one of the checks they sent me with the higher limit to make a payment on the card with the lower limit. About a month later, I got a letter from Bank of America saying that my payment had been rejected (and I now had incurred late charges:eek: which I have NEVER been charged before.) I immediately got on the phone to BOA and after explaining the situation, they have agreed to take off the charge and they have promised me that they will not report this to the Credit Bureau. I am expecting my statement in the mail any day and was advised that it the charge is still on there, to call them back and they will "pop it off." They agreed that nothing specifically said I couldn't do that. My thinking was that since they already had my money on one account, they could switch it over to the other account. Their thinking was that I was using THEIR money to pay THEM. Lesson learned.

I have a question. I know the maximum points you may accumulate is 1,000 per account per year. However when does the year start? Is it from the date that the card is issued to (ie you opened your account in March of this year) until the anniversary of that date?

Or would your year begin again January 1st 2008?

I have a question. I know the maximum points you may accumulate is 1,000 per account per year. However when does the year start? Is it from the date that the card is issued to (ie you opened your account in March of this year) until the anniversary of that date?

Or would your year begin again January 1st 2008?

The points accrue on a 12 month cycle that begins with your anniversary date each year (the date your 1st statement cycle begins), it does NOT go by calendar year (i.e. Jan 1 - Dec 31) unless your anniversary date happens to be January 1!

One question regarding using the certificates. Can they be used after final payment has been made? I am looking at a cruise in Mid April. The final payment will be due January 28th. I will probably have enough points for a second certificate at the end of January or the first week of February (big purchase planned). Can I request a certificate the beginning of February and get a credit back on my card for the money I put towards the final payment?

Keith

One question regarding using the certificates. Can they be used after final payment has been made? I am looking at a cruise in Mid April. The final payment will be due January 28th. I will probably have enough points for a second certificate at the end of January or the first week of February (big purchase planned). Can I request a certificate the beginning of February and get a credit back on my card for the money I put towards the final payment?

Keith

I have the same question as kmacht. Cruising deposit is due in October. Can I turn in the certificate after the deposit is paid, but before the cruise in February?

One other thing: I'm going to call BoA on this but wanted to share what happened to me. I have had my card about 4 months and have accumulated about 250 points. BoA called me two days ago and we confirmed that there were fraudulent charges placed against my card. They cancelled the account and have sent out new cards with a new account number for me. I am wondering if my points will be transferred. Anyone have this happen to them? Hope they transfer the points for me......

Britt23

Yes the points will transfer to the new card. This happened to us also. Any fraudulent charges that are credited back to your account, The credit card company will alos subtract any points that were gined by those transactions. It would be the same as if nothing happened. If you look on line for your account at BAC, you will have 2 accounts listed for 2-3 months. No problem there, it is their procedure. You may even get a bill from the old account with no balance. Just keep an eye on the accounts on line. :)

I have the same question as kmacht. Cruising deposit is due in October. Can I turn in the certificate after the deposit is paid, but before the cruise in February?

Britt23

You question was answered above.

No use waiting to the last minute in case of problems. Order and mail your certificate as early as you would like to in order to give yourself time to fix any problems if they arise.

One question regarding using the certificates. Can they be used after final payment has been made?

I read in another thread here that is the way it usually works. You pay off your balance, then the certificate amount is refunded to your card as soon as they process it. But apparently the above works too.

I guess my reasoning in asking this was because I might not have the 500 points by the time the final payment is due, but should be getting them soon after. So if I make the final payment in October, but my 500 points don't accure until say November, can I then cash in the points?

I guess my reasoning in asking this was because I might not have the 500 points by the time the final payment is due, but should be getting them soon after. So if I make the final payment in October, but my 500 points don't accure until say November, can I then cash in the points?

You can try... but what you are risking is wasting the 500 points if they decide not to honor it. Why not save them for your next cruise? Maybe by then you will have 1000 points to use.

What happens if I have two cards and one card has a balance of 300 points and the other has a balance of 200 points. Can I combine them together?

:mad:That's correct! Don't request either certificate until each reaches 500. Otherwise you'll only get upgrade certificates...not worth it. :eek: