NCL Mastercard FAQ

Host CMLA

I used an online TA for the best quote & charged the deposit on my Latitudes Mastercard. Then I paid off the rest of the tickets when they were due with reward points, just like cash.

As the Compass Rewards Certificates are essentially CASH, this company is screwing with you. Drop them like a bad habit.

while this is true, it may not be the TA's company. I have had the experience where NCL asked for its commission back from a TA when I used a certificate. Its wrong and I had get NCL management intersession to make it right....they ultimately did(the TA was rightfully annoyed they take some money off give me"free" insurance and then get commission taken back...but it does happen)...It worked out with everyone being happy in the end.

Thanks for providing the agent insight. I contacted NCL and booked direct with them since only $150 total difference and I liked the excellent rep I spoke with. The last thing I want to think about before the trip is getting in the middle of TA trauma. Maybe the upsell fairy will reward us later for booking direct :)

Hmmm.

here's a question that I don't think has been asked, and in light of the above previous posts I am curious.

Has anyone redeemed their points when booked as part of a group booking??? I hope I can do this because I'm thinkiing my next NCL cruise may be a group cruise. It would suck if I can't use my rewards points. :eek:

Does it depend on the TA????? :confused:

Hi, I've never cruised NCL (yet), but am interested as a result of a friend's recent booking and the very positive write-up in the Frommer's Guide to Cruises book. And a terrific write-up on the Gem in this past Sunday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution. So I've gone ahead and gotten the NCL Mastercard, and my question is: Are there holiday blackout dates during which you cannot use the discount certificates? Sorry if that is answered elsewhere in this thread already, I did a search using "blackout" as a term and found nothing.

For comparison, using RCI's Visa, the "free" cruise or companion certificates cannot be used for any cruise that includes Christmas or New Year's Day. So using an NCL discount for a Christmas week cruise would be very attractive to me.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

Hi, I've never cruised NCL (yet), but am interested as a result of a friend's recent booking and the very positive write-up in the Frommer's Guide to Cruises book. And a terrific write-up on the Gem in this past Sunday's Atlanta Journal-Constitution. So I've gone ahead and gotten the NCL Mastercard, and my question is: Are there holiday blackout dates during which you cannot use the discount certificates? Sorry if that is answered elsewhere in this thread already, I did a search using "blackout" as a term and found nothing.

For comparison, using RCI's Visa, the "free" cruise or companion certificates cannot be used for any cruise that includes Christmas or New Year's Day. So using an NCL discount for a Christmas week cruise would be very attractive to me.

Thanks in advance for answering my question.

NO blackouts or exceptions whatsoever. Period. You can use it for ANY cruise at ANY time.

Will my anniversary be my statement date or 1 year to the day of my first transaction which was 3-24-07? The reason I ask is I will have 1000 points before my cruise. My statement date is 12th-15th of the month, my cruise will be from the 9th-16th of March. I'd like to earn those bonus points while on board, but cannot figure out if I'll be earning for 2008 yet.

Will my anniversary be my statement date or 1 year to the day of my first transaction which was 3-24-07? The reason I ask is I will have 1000 points before my cruise. My statement date is 12th-15th of the month, my cruise will be from the 9th-16th of March. I'd like to earn those bonus points while on board, but cannot figure out if I'll be earning for 2008 yet.

One sure way not to worry about this is to apply for a d use a 2nd card if you are approaching your max points. Lots of people have taken this approach to maximize points.

One sure way not to worry about this is to apply for a d use a 2nd card if you are approaching your max points. Lots of people have taken this approach to maximize points.

I agree. It's easy and this way you won't take a chance of losing out on points. :)

I did a search before posting this and noticed some discussions on page 10 and Page 11 about trip insurance and value when using Compass Certificates.

After booking the NCL Jade Nov. 6, 2008 I went to an Travel Insurance comparison site, (same company I had used last year) and was reviewing the FAQ's. It stated that only "cash out of pocket" was reimbursable:

"Count frequent flyer tickets, award travel, vouchers, reward points & credit card miles as a $0 trip cost. The value is not equal to the money you save by using them. Your trip cost is only the taxes you pay when you exercise them."

First I thought this was only referring to airline tickets, but then saw the "vouchers and rewards points" part and so I decided to call and verify with them that what I was doing with the Certificates was insurable. The agent who seemed quite knowledgeable stated "absolutely not insurable" only "out of pocket" expenses were covered as I had not "paid" for these. I tried to explain the nature of payment, just like a "check or Credit card". The value of the cruise would be lost including the "total value" not just the deposit to no avail. I then emailed the president of the company which I am waiting for a response.

I then called the insurance company that was quoted through the TA for the cruise portion of insurance and spoke with an agent and a supervisor and they both said only "out of pocket" cost was insurable and reimbursable, not the value of the Award, voucher, or certificate.

Bottom line is that I am quite upset as my parents are not in great health nor is my DW in great health and I really want to purchase insurance, but as it stands now all I can get coverage for is the $500 deposit, airfare and prepaid hotel lodging.

Can someone please suggest options or an insurance company who might cover this, as after reading numerous contracts (my eyes are blurring) and talking with several agents it is my conclusion that we are all taking the risk when using these points that we will lose them if the trip is canceled after the final payment date or a lot of us are incurring extra expense for coverage that will not replace what we think it will.

I did a search before posting this and noticed some discussions on page 10 and Page 11 about trip insurance and value when using Compass Certificates.

After booking the NCL Jade Nov. 6, 2008 I went to an Travel Insurance comparison site, (same company I had used last year) and was reviewing the FAQ's. It stated that only "cash out of pocket" was reimbursable:

"Count frequent flyer tickets, award travel, vouchers, reward points & credit card miles as a $0 trip cost. The value is not equal to the money you save by using them. Your trip cost is only the taxes you pay when you exercise them."

First I thought this was only referring to airline tickets, but then saw the "vouchers and rewards points" part and so I decided to call and verify with them that what I was doing with the Certificates was insurable. The agent who seemed quite knowledgeable stated "absolutely not insurable" only "out of pocket" expenses were covered as I had not "paid" for these. I tried to explain the nature of payment, just like a "check or Credit card". The value of the cruise would be lost including the "total value" not just the deposit to no avail. I then emailed the president of the company which I am waiting for a response.

I then called the insurance company that was quoted through the TA for the cruise portion of insurance and spoke with an agent and a supervisor and they both said only "out of pocket" cost was insurable and reimbursable, not the value of the Award, voucher, or certificate.

Bottom line is that I am quite upset as my parents are not in great health nor is my DW in great health and I really want to purchase insurance, but as it stands now all I can get coverage for is the $500 deposit, airfare and prepaid hotel lodging.

Can someone please suggest options or an insurance company who might cover this, as after reading numerous contracts (my eyes are blurring) and talking with several agents it is my conclusion that we are all taking the risk when using these points that we will lose them if the trip is canceled after the final payment date or a lot of us are incurring extra expense for coverage that will not replace what we think it will.

:mad: That doesn't seem very fair now, does it?? How you paid for your cruise should have nothing to do with having the cost of the cruise insured.

Can anyone tell me if the benefits from the NCL Mastercard is equal to what you get with the Sams Club Discover card?

:)

I guess you'll have to tell us what you get with the Sam's Discover Card so we can compare....;)

:)

I guess you'll have to tell us what you get with the Sam's Discover Card so we can compare....;)

lets be honest who cares. We aren't here to compare the benefits of a universe of cards. The thread is to discuss how to best use the NCL master card. If I wanted a discover card(which I have) I would use it.

lets be honest who cares. We aren't here to compare the benefits of a universe of cards. The thread is to discuss how to best use the NCL master card. If I wanted a discover card(which I have) I would use it.

Now, now...be nice. She asked a legitimate question.

I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread or not. I have been charged an annual fee every year. Last month I got the annual letter that says they are charging me the annual fee and I will see it on my next bill. Well, I called BOA last month when I got the letter and told "Amanda" that this card is not supposed to have an annual fee. She told me she would give me a credit and I would see it on my next statement.

My closing date was yesterday so this morning I checked my statement online. Of course, there wasn't any credit for the annual fee they charged me, so I called BOA again and told the custom service rep the annual fee wasn't credited as I was told it would be. She told me the only way they could remove an annual fee was to close the account! What a way to do business - tell the customer to close their account. I am so frustrated right now with BOA that I think I will be closing this account. I have 1,022 points right now. I think I will redeem my 1,000 points and then close the account.

I don't know if this has been brought up in this thread or not. I have been charged an annual fee every year. Last month I got the annual letter that says they are charging me the annual fee and I will see it on my next bill. .

I would call again as this card has no annual fee. You might want to refer whomever you speak with to their own website which clearly shows this:

Norwegian Cruise Line® Platinum Plus® MasterCard® Credit Card

This Credit Card offers:The chance to earn reward points on everyday purchases for rewards on Norweigan Cruise Line; like cruise discounts and stateroom upgrades

Annual Fee:$0

Not sure why they seem to think you deserve a fee?:confused:

Yes, lets be honest. I believe that this is a open board and if I want to ask a question, I can. If it is the wrong place, I am sure that the moderators would remove it. If you don't like the question, you are free to move on just as I am free to ask this question.

Now as for my question. I was only asking because the NCL card and the discover card seem to be the same and my husband I are at odds at which to use. We were wondering if any others on the boards had any input as to which is better. I use the NCL card and my husband uses the discover, which is the same points, but you get cash back instead of credits to send towards your cruise. Whether you send cash or whether you send cruise credits, does it make a difference.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.

Yes' date=' lets be honest. I believe that this is a open board and if I want to ask a question, I can. If it is the wrong place, I am sure that the moderators would remove it. If you don't like the question, you are free to move on just as I am free to ask this question.

Now as for my question. I was only asking because the NCL card and the discover card seem to be the same and my husband I are at odds at which to use. We were wondering if any others on the boards had any input as to which is better. I use the NCL card and my husband uses the discover, which is the same points, but you get cash back instead of credits to send towards your cruise. Whether you send cash or whether you send cruise credits, does it make a difference.

I am sorry if this is a stupid question, but I thought it wouldn't hurt to ask.[/quote']

The discover card cash back can be used for anything... it's simply cash back. The NCL card points can only be used for NCL cruises/upgrades. None of them is "better" if you are gonna buy a cruise with cash or use your points. The only advantage with NCL is that you get bonus points for any dollar spent with NCL in addition to the regular 3 percent, you get an additional 1 percent on NCL purchases.

The only other difference is that discover is not as widely accepted as MasterCard worldwide.

Last year I stopped using my SW credit card and switched to NCL because the way I have figured it, with out considering the bonus points for NCL, it takes me approximately $16667. in purchases to get my $500 certificate vs $19200. (less any points for flights taken) to get a ticket that I can usually buy for less than $200. :D

I no longer use any credit cards that don't give me some kind of bonus. :cool: