I-95 vs A1A from Aventura to Port of Miami

atate

We rented a car, so I thought it might be a pretty and scenic drive on the morning of our cruise to take A1A instead on I-95 from our hotel to the cruise port. Is there much to see to make it worth the extra drive time? I'm thinking an extra 30 minutes or so...am I way off on how much longer this route will take?

We rented a car, so I thought it might be a pretty and scenic drive on the morning of our cruise to take A1A instead on I-95 from our hotel to the cruise port. Is there much to see to make it worth the extra drive time? I'm thinking an extra 30 minutes or so...am I way off on how much longer this route will take?

If you decide to take A1A/Collins Ave to the port you should definitely allow at least an hour and a half, depending on the time and day, traffic can be pretty bad on both I-95 and A1A.

If A1A is your choice, once you are in South Beach you will make a right turn (head west) on 5th Street to take MacArthur Causeway, which is still part of A1A. There is no entrance to the Port Tunnel heading West from MacArthur Causeway, so you will have to get off on Exit 2 towards Biscayne Boulevard (US1) and either take the ramp to A1A going North towards Miami Beach or make a left on US 1 towards Port Miami.

If you decide to take A1A/Collins Ave to the port you should definitely allow at least an hour and a half, depending on the time and day, traffic can be pretty bad on both I-95 and A1A.

If A1A is your choice, once you are in South Beach you will make a right turn (head west) on 5th Street to take MacArthur Causeway, which is still part of A1A. There is no entrance to the Port Tunnel heading West from MacArthur Causeway, so you will have to get off on Exit 2 towards Biscayne Boulevard (US1) and either take the ramp to A1A going North towards Miami Beach or make a left on US 1 towards Port Miami.

Thank you for the information. Is A1A a pretty drive or is most of the view blocked by buildings?

Yes a lot of the drive is lined by tall condos and hotels. But think about it, do you really want to take a chance the day of your cruise? Hundreds of tourists not paying attention, sight seeing, walking carelessly, in Miami Beach, parked cars in both sides of the street, locals think they own the road and challenge cars, and you, what will you be doing? concentrating in your driving? Sure. If you have the time, take the sightseeing drive the day before, or even better take a hop on hop off bus. I95 is no picnic but less chance of an accident. Don't mean to be gloom and doom, just trying to get you there safely on time. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers.

If you have a smart phone, there's an app for that - Waze.

If you don't have a smart phone, there's Google Maps.

Thanks. I use my GPS constantly. Just wasn't sure with traffic if the route would require additional time beyond the GPS predicted arrival time.

Yes a lot of the drive is lined by tall condos and hotels. But think about it, do you really want to take a chance the day of your cruise? Hundreds of tourists not paying attention, sight seeing, walking carelessly, in Miami Beach, parked cars in both sides of the street, locals think they own the road and challenge cars, and you, what will you be doing? concentrating in your driving? Sure. If you have the time, take the sightseeing drive the day before, or even better take a hop on hop off bus. I95 is no picnic but less chance of an accident. Don't mean to be gloom and doom, just trying to get you there safely on time. Just my thoughts.

Enjoy your cruise.

Cheers.

Thank you for the info. Maybe we'll take that route on the drive back to FLL since our fight doesn't leave until later in the day.

Thanks. I use my GPS constantly. Just wasn't sure with traffic if the route would require additional time beyond the GPS predicted arrival time.

I would say it does. Lots of traffic lights and tourists walking and crossing on this street, and slow moving vehicles.

GPS will give you traffic. Unless it is a crazy holiday weekend or some big event traffic down A1A should not be bad. Its a decent drive with some bridges and views of the bay and ocean. Most of it is condos, which are pretty cool to see IMO. Once you get into South Beach its pretty dense city driving, where you could take a detour and go down Ocean Drive. Sometimes Ocean Drive has tons of traffic but you could easily turn off of it.

395 from Miami Bach to Miami is really great too. But you will get an even better view on the ship.

My husband and I make this drive all the time and it is AMAZING!!

Yes, there are tall condos but they certainly do not block the ocean.

Bal Harbour is insanely beautiful and the tree lined streets are lovely.

I know the route very well.

I personally think it is a do not miss.

Leave early and do the sightseeing. Haulover beach is wide open and the only place where you can see both ocean and intercostal. Leads into lovely Bal Harbor. Lots of classic hotels and the further south you get the more Art Deco style. Go slow be cautious and enjoy.