Concern about safety in Cozumel

Jgomez65

Complete safety is an illusion. Before what happened in Vegas happened, would you have feared going there? Anything can happen anywhere. That said, I would not be quick to get on a ferry. We flew to Paris two weeks after the concert goers were killed. We flew to Brussels a week after the train station was shot up. We stayed two blocks from Molenbeek while we were there. We rode the bullet train from Strasbourg to Paris a few weeks after it derailed. We went to the Christmas market in Berlin that the truck bashed into. What can I say?

Where are you heading next? I’d like to stay away from wherever it is for a while. [emoji33]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We plan on visiting Tulum. From what we just heard, the travel restriction was lifted and booking is back to normal. Whilst the beach is amazing and well worth it, when surrounded by water for days, seeing local culture and having a chance to experience something new seems well worth it.

There are plenty of things to do on Cozumel as people have mentioned, but if you want to go to Xcaret or Tulum then you should go to the mainland and enjoy yourselves. I recommend Tulum, but mainly because with the erosion they suspect that part of the area could collapse and be gone at some point within our lifetimes (no, not suddenly, they are monitoring it and will know in advance). There really isn't much in the way of ancient culture on Cozumel, just beaches, scuba diving, shopping, and bars.

Great post!

I was on Jade a couple of weeks ago, we received a letter directly to our cabin advising not to use the public ferries to the mainland. Note it said public... inferring that organized excursions to the mainland attractions were not deemed problematic. That would seem like a reasonable compromise/way to achieve your goals and minimize risk/worry.

Beyond that, my experience is that Cozumel is just fine; one merely needs to maintain sensible situational awareness/behavior; as you would in any such location anywhere in the world.

IMHO you're on vacation... so don't do something that stresses you out.

:cool: