The Breakaway - the good and the bad

miklil1011

Just got off the April 8th - 15th sailing of the Breakaway.

Great ship, lots to do, and lots of fun. Food was average to really good dependent on restaurant. Loved Manhatten and Crews was a phenomenal waiter. Taste was very good for lunch and dinner. Savor was a little scattered but our waiter was great. Buffet was what you would expect. Some very good food and some blah. But always convenient.

Didn't make the shows but several in our party did and loved them.

Our attendant Gabriel was friendly and courteous. Great job and thanks!

For the most part, everyone I met seemed to be having fun but of course with 4-5k people, there are always a few.

And now the bad...

Rained in Port Canaveral so stayed on the boat. Decided to go to O'Sheehans. It was mobbed and a wait which was fine, but there was also an inspection at the same time. The kitchen shut down but was never communicated to anyone...or to few. That would have been fine as well but the waiters were just letting us know they would be right back and we would not see them for 45 mins. After waiting more than 2 1/2 hours without being able to order even a drink, we left. There were some idiots yelling and screaming at the staff which was uncalled for. Per several staff members later that night, the crew knew the quarterly inspection was coming well in advance so not sure the whole process of ensuring the guests were taken care of while this was happening was well planned for.

We we're stoked we made it to GSC after several of the previous ships we're not able to. Beautiful island, just bring some type of water shoe as very rocky. Heading back, we had to wait in a line that was about 1/4 mile long for about 2 hours (no exaggeration) in the baking sun. Supposedly their was a medvac as well as two tenders that were out of commission. I understand things happen, but there should be some preparation for things like this. They do need to do a better job of communicating to their customers. If people were aware, it would have allowed people to seek some shelter from the sun for a bit. Also saw many elderly stuck in the line.

Disembarkation was a nightmare but not NCL's fault. Customs had 4 booths open which caused a tremendous delay. Got to the 7th floor at 7:45 and was not past customs until 11. The actions and attitudes of some of the people waiting towards the staff was appalling. I cannot believe how rude and crude some people are. Cutting people in line, yelling at the staff, threatening....pretty sad.

It does seem they are a bit disorganized and not sure how to handle such large crowds. Or, they were overly concerned about the trans-Atlantic trip. Whatever it was, something just seemed "off" with the overall atmosphere.

All in all the trip is what you make of it. We had a decent time. Don't think we would return to this ship but not unhappy we gave it a shot. But hey...I was still on vacation.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Forums mobile app