Snorkeling from shore

Speedy55

We are going on a cruise that stops in St Thomas in March. Can someone please help narrow our options down for getting a cab to the beach and back? It is my husband, myself and 2 teen daughters. We would like a place that has chair rental, restrooms and a place to buy refreshments. We don't drink alcohol so that's not an issue. Most importantly is the snorkeling and ease of getting a cab to the beach.

We would like to go to Magen's Bay but reviews show the snorkeling from shore is not great. Please advise. Thank you

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Yes for snorkeling beaches with lounge chairs, restrooms, and food and drink Coki, Sapphire, and Secret Harbor are recommended for most day visitors. If you review the “beautiful beaches of St Thomas” thread link you’ll see descriptions and many opinions on each. We’re partial to Sapphire because we like renting a condo there and it’s a gorgeous beach. We also love the mahi mahi sandwich at the Banana Cabana beach grill at Sapphire. $14 but enough to share…

Coki is popular and gets much more crowded, and SH is a calm bay and also gets a bit busy but is the only one of the three with a nicer beach restaurant. Although I’m reading there is a new restaurant at Sapphire, don't have the details.

There are other beaches folks have reported good snorkeling from including Elysian and Smith Bay, Elysian has a lot of boats moored there and SB doesn't offer any food and drink options.

I would highly recommend Coki as well. AMAZING snorkeling. I have a full review in my signature line with TONS of pictures if you are interested.

Mitsugirly

Thanks for the link to your Coki beach pictures and review. Is there a best place to snorkel at that beach? Is if pretty obvious where the reef is? How long of a drive from the cruise port would you say it is?

Mitsugirly

Thanks for the link to your Coki beach pictures and review. Is there a best place to snorkel at that beach? Is if pretty obvious where the reef is? How long of a drive from the cruise port would you say it is?

Along either side is awesome. You walk in and bam, it's all along the sides. The middle is for swimming and has a sandy bottom. I want to say it was maybe 20 minutes away. According to my review, we were getting off the ship at 8:30 and arrived at Coki by 9am. So, figure in time for walking out of the port and so on. :)

Along either side is awesome. You walk in and bam, it's all along the sides. The middle is for swimming and has a sandy bottom. I want to say it was maybe 20 minutes away. According to my review, we were getting off the ship at 8:30 and arrived at Coki by 9am. So, figure in time for walking out of the port and so on. :)

Thanks!