New Cruiser - Navigator of the Sea Dress Code

Hi guys, I'm going on my first cruise in August on Navigator on the Seas with my 14 year old son. Can you advise with regard to the dress code for the formal evenings, when it says "suit", will he need to wear a jacket or will trousers, shirt, waistcoat and tie be accepted?

Teen fashion at the moment means it's all skinny jeans and I'm struggling to get him to understand he will need to have normal trousers for the ship (for the restaurants, not Windjammer), never mind needing a formal suit!

Thanks in advance

Sarah

We gave up suits and long dressses a decade ago. Our rules are swimsuits belong on the pool deck or beach. Coverups for swimsuits when going inside. Long pants, even skinny jeans, are fine even for formal night. We dress it up with a more “formal” shirt, I.e., one with sleeves. LOL. Thankfully for us, the rules are so much more relaxed these days. You can dress just like you would for a week in the Caribbean. Note the above are my rules, not Royal’s, but we have never been denied admission or felt out of place when following them.

Welcome to Cruise Critic Sarah!!:D If you'd like to communicate with your fellow cruisers, who will be on the Navigator the same week as you, click on the thread below, find your specific cruise week, and get to know them! I'll bet they'll be able to help you with future questions about your cruise!!;) Cheers!!

https://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=268

Hi guys, I'm going on my first cruise in August on Navigator on the Seas with my 14 year old son. Can you advise with regard to the dress code for the formal evenings, when it says "suit", will he need to wear a jacket or will trousers, shirt, waistcoat and tie be accepted?

Teen fashion at the moment means it's all skinny jeans and I'm struggling to get him to understand he will need to have normal trousers for the ship (for the restaurants, not Windjammer), never mind needing a formal suit!

No need to buy normal trousers just to wear on formal night. His skinny jeans with a nicer top will be just fine. On non-formal nights, his skinny jeans or even nice shorts are fine. Dress code in the main dining room is not a big deal anymore. Relax and let your 14yo enjoy his vacation too...