Tequila tours. Whats your experience?

kaveman1966

Are you looking at the one that used to be at Mr. Sanchos? It's now at Discover Mexico, doesn't look the same.

As I recall, Chankanaab Park has one as well. You're sampling tequilas from different distillers and learning how it's made.

Hacienda Antigua has a "Tequila Factory" out on the transversal road between downtown San Miguel and the East side. It's an interesting display of exhibits. Not sure if he's still there, but the old guy running the place was a real hoot at one time. Only one distiller of tequila there, Hacienda Antigua, but several varieties. Also a shop near the plaza. But mostly just a shop.

I've never been to Cozumel but I travel to Mexico often as my parents are from central Mexico. Cozumel isn't a place where I'd devote any time to a tequila tasting because it's just not an authentic part of that region. It would be like docking in San Diego and going on a bourbon tasting tour. Honestly, we've made it a habit to sample tequilas at Duty Free shops because the offerings are plentiful and the bottles are priced well. I would instead consider a food tour, as food from the Yucatan peninsula (cochinita pibil, panuchos, sopa de lima) is uniquely regional and tasty.

I've never been to Cozumel but I travel to Mexico often as my parents are from central Mexico. Cozumel isn't a place where I'd devote any time to a tequila tasting because it's just not an authentic part of that region. It would be like docking in San Diego and going on a bourbon tasting tour. Honestly, we've made it a habit to sample tequilas at Duty Free shops because the offerings are plentiful and the bottles are priced well. I would instead consider a food tour, as food from the Yucatan peninsula (cochinita pibil, panuchos, sopa de lima) is uniquely regional and tasty.

I agree it is not an authentic area for Tequila production and the “tours” are only “mock- ups” but that isnt to say there aren’t various tasting places that offer fun experiences, that can be incorporated into a day of activities.

I also agree the regional food from the Yucatan is very tasty and quite different to the usual Tex Mex. there are fun local restaurants, various cooking classes and a food tour, which are all very enjoyable but may/may not interest someone who wants a tequila tasting!

Hacienda Antigua is the one we watched a video of. Is it actually made onsite? I heard it is then heard it is not.

It's not. It's made in Jalisco. However, the owners of Hacienda Antigua are real distillers in Jalisco and the hacienda on the island is a replica of their facility back home. The tour does appear to offer a thorough lesson on the history of tequila but the props are just for show:) :)