"Best of Ocho Rios" Tour with NCL?

Hydro ergo

Hi!

Has anyone out there done the "Best of Ocho Rios" tour with NCL? It stops at Dunn's River Falls, Konoko Falls and Park, and a drive through Fern Gully. I don't usually take the ship tours, but this is my first time sailing with NCL and I have a shore excursion credit. Thought I might make use of it if possible. I am an active female, mid-30s, travelling solo. And the solo part is also making me think and organized excursion might be best in this port. I have heard mixed things about Ocho Rios and while I am very comfortable travelling solo, I do want to be safe and smart. Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent, but thought some background might help. Thanks much!

• 4 weeks later...
Hi!

Has anyone out there done the "Best of Ocho Rios" tour with NCL? It stops at Dunn's River Falls, Konoko Falls and Park, and a drive through Fern Gully. I don't usually take the ship tours, but this is my first time sailing with NCL and I have a shore excursion credit. Thought I might make use of it if possible. I am an active female, mid-30s, travelling solo. And the solo part is also making me think and organized excursion might be best in this port. I have heard mixed things about Ocho Rios and while I am very comfortable travelling solo, I do want to be safe and smart. Sorry, that was a bit of a tangent, but thought some background might help. Thanks much!

I had a similar question, at least about the specifics of the tour. I had most of those questions answered in a YouTube clip I found today - search the tour name and NCL and it should pop up!

I had a similar question, at least about the specifics of the tour. I had most of those questions answered in a YouTube clip I found today - search the tour name and NCL and it should pop up!

That was great, thanks! I am pretty sure I found it...was from 2012, but similar I am sure. I did go ahead and book the tour, so hopefully it will be a good time!

That was great, thanks! I am pretty sure I found it...was from 2012, but similar I am sure. I did go ahead and book the tour, so hopefully it will be a good time!

Let us know how it was, when r u going

Sent from my iPad using Forums

• 3 months later...
51 minutes ago, tbo said:

Did you go on this tour? Would love to know how it was, thank you!

I would also be interested in knowing! We booked sometime else, all independent tours for us on this sailing, but there is always the next time!

Hi! I did go on the tour and I had a great time!! I do think there is some important info to share though. First stop was Dunn's River Falls. AMAZING! but!! The majority of people in my group were ill prepared for this. You will literally be climbing over rocks going up a waterfall. You need good footwear. I had tevas, highly recommend. They do make a stop to buy water shoes if you need them. Also, you will get drenched at least from the waist down depending on your height. A bathing suit and shorts for ladies is perfect. I also brought a dry change of clothes. If you don't want to hike the falls, you can walk along a boardwalk next to them which offers nice views. It takes about an hour to get to the top. Then we drove through Fern Gully. This was pointless...a quick trip up a curvy road into jungle vegetation. I mean, it was fine, but not really worth mentioning. Although the drive there provided a nice look into how the locals live. Next stop was Konoko Gardens. They were lovely. We had a great tour guide who told us lots of interesting facts about the local plants and animals. There is also the obligatory stop for souvenirs on the way back. An other thing worth noting... We met at the theater at 825am and didn't get back to the ship until almost 3pm. It was advertised as a 3.5hr excursion. I always bring snacks, so I was fine, but there were some hungry people on our way back! I recommend bringing something prepackaged, like granola bars, that you can bring off the ship. Also bring plenty of water. The extra time was great, we were never rushed, but that was a BIG difference. Regarding price, I think it costs around $20-25 per person to get into DRF and Konoko (each) so $89 for the excursion wasn't too bad. We rode in a comfortable van that sat about 14-16. 

Hope that helps!! Happy to answer any other questions!

Have a great cruise!!!

48 minutes ago, Hydro ergo said:

Hi! I did go on the tour and I had a great time!! I do think there is some important info to share though. First stop was Dunn's River Falls. AMAZING! but!! The majority of people in my group were ill prepared for this.... 

Have a great cruise!!!

I’m so glad that you had a great time! My conclusion was that it was a bit more daunting than it initially appeared (and I was concerned that one member of our group would not be able to cope with those physical requirements). So many of the tours there, cruise sponsored or third party include Dunn’s... so we may go in just beyond the poor for a little shopping and eating and then head back early to enjoy the ship without everyone onboard! 😎  Thanks so much for your “review”!

Lynn

4 hours ago, Hydro ergo said:

Hi! I did go on the tour and I had a great time!! I do think there is some important info to share though. First stop was Dunn's River Falls. AMAZING! but!! The majority of people in my group were ill prepared for this. You will literally be climbing over rocks going up a waterfall. You need good footwear. I had tevas, highly recommend. They do make a stop to buy water shoes if you need them. Also, you will get drenched at least from the waist down depending on your height. A bathing suit and shorts for ladies is perfect. I also brought a dry change of clothes. If you don't want to hike the falls, you can walk along a boardwalk next to them which offers nice views. It takes about an hour to get to the top. Then we drove through Fern Gully. This was pointless...a quick trip up a curvy road into jungle vegetation. I mean, it was fine, but not really worth mentioning. Although the drive there provided a nice look into how the locals live. Next stop was Konoko Gardens. They were lovely. We had a great tour guide who told us lots of interesting facts about the local plants and animals. There is also the obligatory stop for souvenirs on the way back. An other thing worth noting... We met at the theater at 825am and didn't get back to the ship until almost 3pm. It was advertised as a 3.5hr excursion. I always bring snacks, so I was fine, but there were some hungry people on our way back! I recommend bringing something prepackaged, like granola bars, that you can bring off the ship. Also bring plenty of water. The extra time was great, we were never rushed, but that was a BIG difference. Regarding price, I think it costs around $20-25 per person to get into DRF and Konoko (each) so $89 for the excursion wasn't too bad. We rode in a comfortable van that sat about 14-16. 

Have a great cruise!!!

Thank you for your review, I've been watching videos of the long lines at DRF and have seen people slipping and sliding. Were there lots of people there?  We've never been to Jamaica and I know this is the thing to do there, but I think we may skip it. It's the 2nd port stop on our cruise, I can't imagine what it would be like if I were to get all banged up and limp through the rest of the cruise. We aren't spring chickens, hubby would do fine-he climbs for his job, but I'm unsure about myself. Konoko looks nice though.

3 hours ago, 2Beeze said:

I’m so glad that you had a great time! My conclusion was that it was a bit more daunting than it initially appeared (and I was concerned that one member of our group would not be able to cope with those physical requirements). So many of the tours there, cruise sponsored or third party include Dunn’s... so we may go in just beyond the poor for a little shopping and eating and then head back early to enjoy the ship without everyone onboard! 😎  Thanks so much for your “review”!

Lynn

I'm considering the Ocho Rios Highlights tour instead, have you looked at that tour?

12 hours ago, tbo said:

Thank you for your review, I've been watching videos of the long lines at DRF and have seen people slipping and sliding. Were there lots of people there?  We've never been to Jamaica and I know this is the thing to do there, but I think we may skip it. It's the 2nd port stop on our cruise, I can't imagine what it would be like if I were to get all banged up and limp through the rest of the cruise. We aren't spring chickens, hubby would do fine-he climbs for his job, but I'm unsure about myself. Konoko looks nice though.

I'm considering the Ocho Rios Highlights tour instead, have you looked at that tour?

It seems like I did (it’s been months back, so can’t swear to it...). But pretty much everything I looked at had time at Dunn’s (and it appears to me it would be fairly difficult to opt out of that portion) and they didn’t fit what we wanted in another way (like we always rule out those involving captive animals). It was odd that I couldn’t find a tour, even 3rd party, that would work for us - but we have such a busy 10 days that we probably will enjoy the “break” 😊 

Happy Sailing!

Lynn

15 hours ago, tbo said:

Hi tbo,

When we first got there and I saw all the buses, I definitely rolled my eyes...and then when we first got into the park it was really busy!  But, honestly, it wasn't too bad on the falls.  Of course, it's not like you have the place to yourself, and your group has to stay together, but I was able to get several photos without people in them.  There are a few areas where it jams up when there is only one way to go and the footing is a little iffy.  I would say if you are on the fence about it, it may be best to pass.  There are a few spots where you can exit the falls and get onto the boardwalk if you feel like you go in to deep (no pun intended, ha!) but it's not worth it if you are going to stress the entire time!  I think there were a handful of people in our group that would have chosen a different tour if they had really known what this one entailed! The gardens were lovely!  I think there is another popular garden spot as well.  It's kind of a tough port...getting around isn't super easy or safe if you aren't in a tour or group, but like you said, almost all the tours include the falls!  Good luck and happy cruising!