Banff resident here! Do you have Banff questions?

Is it possible to do Banff to Jasper and return as a day trip? Obviously the return would be mainly driving. If we left earlyish, (9.00am), would we get back to Banff for dinner?

How far would you go, if it is too far to do the return in a day?

Thanks and regards,

Michael

It is around 200 miles one way. So 400 miles return trip. I'd guesstimate it would be around 5 hours one way non-stop as the road is quite twisty/turny in places, so you MUST drive slowly in spots. It can be done but makes for a long day.

You're Australian -- approx 300 km one way, 600 km return. I've done it when younger :) and it is not impossible certainly. You DON'T want to drive the road after dark, given that we drive on the "other side" here, and there's ALWAYS wildlife around. If you're here in June or July, you could leave at 8 a.m., arrive Jasper more or less 1:00 p.m. and sightsee for a couple of hours. Leave Jasper by 4 p.m., and be back in Banff by 9 p.m. or so, and there'd still be enough daylight that you'd be okay on the road.

It is a spectacular drive, with fabulous scenerey. It'd be a shame to miss it. There's good info here: http://www.canadianrockies.net/icepwy.html

If you decide to go only part of the way, I'd go to Columbia Icefields, home of the Athabasca Glacier. It's about 3 hours from Banff. I'd also take the Snocoach tour onto the glacier.

My personal opinion, given that you're driving on the "wrong side" and probably shouldn't be driving after dark in unfamiliar territory with TONS of wildlife? It will be VERY rushed, and you'll be at the mercy of the clock. Make it an overnight trip, stay in Jasper one night, then come back to the Icefields and do that on your return trip to Banff.

I hope this helps!!

I worked at AB Tourism too; wonder if I knew your friend. "What time do they let the animals out?" was right up there with "Banff-ff", and "Well I HAVE to bring my gun, how else can I protect myself from bears" :)

This is too funny! "What time do they let the animals out?":D

I'm hoping the answer is : The time we get there in August! I sure would love to see plenty of animals! Oh yeah, I'll leave the gun at home also!;)

Thanks for the good laugh!

Hard to say when and where the wildlife will turn up. Sometimes, right across from the Banff RM Resort, the elk gather in a large field in the morning and/or evening. You may also see elk in town, gnawing on gardens. Do NOT approach them, even though they appear quite tame. You'll also likely see deer around.

Get out **early** in the morning (just after sunrise) and you MAY see a bear. Again, do NOT approach them. If you are planning on hiking, please take bear spray. While there are not a lot of bear/human encounters, it is better to be safe than sorry.

Down by the river, off Bow Avenue, is a walkway and benches -- you'll see waterfowl down there. (and again, a good chance of elk and deer in the nearby park).

Several years ago, a grizzly got right into downtown Banff (let's all hope for NO REPEAT) and was running through residential streets.

Have fun! I hope you get to see all the wildlife you want!

A "ps" to the people who are visiting Banff -- it is always a good idea to have a jacket in the evenings, as it usually cools down substantially in the evening. (We did have one summer where the temps didn't drop much but that is a rarity).

Don't forget the Sheep that can usually be found on the Mt Norquay Rd and around Lake Minnewanka.

Oh gee, YEAH!!! :) Thank you! I haven't seen sheep up there in literally years, but it is as always the luck of the draw. A friend from Australia (back when the HUGE herd hung around the Lake M parking lot, and got all kinds of food hand-outs) actually got bullied by a bunch of sheep and he had to be rescued by a bunch of us from on top of a rock that he'd climbed to get away from them!

don't approach the sheep either

They are still by the Lake - this story is true I have the pictures to prove it if necessary - I was hiking on my way around the lake when you come to bridge in the canyon and there waiting to cross was a herd of sheep - they patiently wanted for us to clear the bridge deck and set up our photography equipment and then crossed the bridge and headed into the woods parallel to the main trail and then on to the parking lot and to their usual perch by the Lake dam.

Apparently this crossing is a regular thing as some of the locals were telling some of the startled tourists.

Another place to see the elk would be up on Tunnel mountain drive near the RV campsite.

Cheers

Dennis

• 2 weeks later...

Hi we are looking about some hotels in Banff and lake louise actually but at lake louise they are too expensive so we thought of extending our stay in Banff and drive to lake louise for the day from there since it is quite near. Do you have any hotels to suggest.. i found the below:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g154911-d239674-Reviews-Rundlestone_Lodge-Banff_Banff_National_Park_Alberta.html

What do you think? any suggestions will be highly appreciated! thanks :D

Clean, reasonably priced (for Banff) :), easy walking distance to "downtown" Banff, and the restaurant is good. About 10 years old, so pretty new (for Banff).

The ONLY downside to it is that it is right on the main road through Banff, but speed limit is 40 km/hr, so that shouldn't be a problem.

I'd book it if the price works for you and they have the dates you need.

I know this may seem a silly question but do they have dog sledding in summertime anywhere from Banff,jasper , Kamloops to Whistler.we are there in july 13 onwards until we pick up cruise on 25th.I am looking at Skegway and Juneau but very expensive. Thought it was worth asking, just in case.....Kathleen

No, there's no dog sledding in this area in the summer. You can do a kennel tour, and I can get you contact info in the Banff area if you want, but to actually be IN a dogsled, pulled by dogs? Not here in the summer. In the winter, a 2 hour ride is $130/person. Not sure how that compares to Alaska, but then again, the cost of getting dog food to Alaska is substantially higher, I expect.

I googled and found a place in Whistler that offers summer dog sledding. Google "dog sledding Whistler" and you'll find it. The winter price is $159/person in the winter.

I hope this helps. Please let me know if you have other questions, and I'll see what I can do :)

Thanks Cow Princess. I have looked at Whistler but we have decided to pay the price in Alaska and do the glacier and dog sledding. THey go to the glacier by helicopter so we will do two "firsts" in one go. DH is complaining about the price but I got a rebate on our cruise so that helps. Thank you for your advice and research and also the advice about the mosquitoes in July. We will bring anti repellant and stuff to put on after they have had their meal of my blood! Kathleen

Archived