Govt Considering Major Changes to Maho Beach Area, Including Road and Businesses

gtaylor

Article in The Daily Herald.

VROMI is considering closing the entire area, prohibiting traffic flow and re-route the busy road through another Simpson Bay road.

Knowing the island, I just CAN NOT understand how something like this could ever come to happen.

Government is fairly good at starting up conversations and beginning with planning sessions and charts. Even public input from all involved 'Stakeholders', then things seem to usually just fade away.

Ideas of a new sewage treatment plant and a basic recycling program (among others) have been percolating for many years.

I suspect that there will be increased policing for a while and that's about it, but we'll have to wait and see.

gary

The article does not make sense to me. It talked about decreasing the traffic on that road into the Beacon Hill area to stop incidents like with this tourist being killed from holding onto the airport fence.

They also talk about this incident hurting tourism. If crap draining into the town beach hasn't decreased tourism I don't think this will!

The article does not make sense to me. It talked about decreasing the traffic on that road into the Beacon Hill area to stop incidents like with this tourist being killed from holding onto the airport fence.

They also talk about this incident hurting tourism. If crap draining into the town beach hasn't decreased tourism I don't think this will!

You have a good point!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

This gives them the "feel good" points. But as time goes by, and no further incidents occur, these "studies/discussions" will drift to the background. Give the island a couple of more international headlines and social media buzz about injuries or deaths due to jet surfing the fence and any real decrease in tourism, then they may actually do something.

The local paper has a new editorial re: major changes at Maho.

that seems a bit drastic

gary

A Security Guard WITH a German Shepherd (far more intimidating) seems like a good start. I think since there are kids and people who may not read English at Maho, a guard with a dog is a better option than a sign or barbed wire if you are trying to demonstrate that you are really serious about stopping "fence surfing".

Rerouting the traffic and relocating businesses DOES seem drastic and over the top.

Edited by Karysa

I was stationed on a US Navy aircraft carrier. The had jet blast deflectors (JBD's) to carry the jet blast into the air away from the crew. When the jet had taken off, the JBD's were retracted level with the deck. Why couldn't they install something like this in front of the fenced off area?