Captain on Valor

gannk

Hello! My four year old is obsessed with our February 11 cruise out of Galveston on Valor. He talks about the captain all the time ("the captain drives my big boat" "tell the captain that I'm being good"). I would love to have a name to go with his ramblings. Can someone who has sailed recently tell me what his name is?

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

Hello! My four year old is obsessed with our February 11 cruise out of Galveston on Valor. He talks about the captain all the time ("the captain drives my big boat" "tell the captain that I'm being good"). I would love to have a name to go with his ramblings. Can someone who has sailed recently tell me what his name is?

Sounds like your little guy might be interested in a Behind the Fun Tour which is offered on the last sea day. I recommend you sign up for it when you board the boat (Day 1) as it always sells out.

You'll get a full-on behind the scenes tour of the boat AND get to go to the Bridge and meet the captain (and you'll get a picture of you and the captain on the bridge together - included free in the cost of the tour).

The tour is a lot of walking but really offers a view of what it takes to run a hotel on water and the resources involved to make it all happen.

Sounds like your little guy might be interested in a Behind the Fun Tour which is offered on the last sea day. I recommend you sign up for it when you board the boat (Day 1) as it always sells out.

You'll get a full-on behind the scenes tour of the boat AND get to go to the Bridge and meet the captain (and you'll get a picture of you and the captain on the bridge together - included free in the cost of the tour).

The tour is a lot of walking but really offers a view of what it takes to run a hotel on water and the resources involved to make it all happen.

That Is a great idea! I had completely forgotten about that! Thanks :)

Just got off the Valor this past Sunday and the captain was Captain Rocco Lubrano. The captains do change from time to time, but this is accurate as of two days ago. Enjoy your cruise!

Sent from my LGL22C using Forums mobile app

Thank you!!! Hopefully he won't change before February, because my guy loves talking about him. When they reposition to Galveston, we are going to bring him down to see it. He has seen Liberty quite a few times and loves "talking to the captain" at the bridge (and scaring all of the nearby seagulls while he's yelling at the ship).

So cute! I looked into the behind the scenes tour, and I think they have a minimum age of 8...

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I was just looking in to it and realized there was no way he would be patient for that long. Maybe an 8th birthday cruise will be necessary in a few years [emoji6]

I was just looking in to it and realized there was no way he would be patient for that long. Maybe an 8th birthday cruise will be necessary in a few years [emoji6]

Let me know, we can have our then 8 year olds meet up for it! :D

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I just wanted to say that he sounds super adorable! Wish we were sailing on the Valor (my DH booked the San Juan itinerary and I was surprised to be on the Fascination instead of the Valor- but hey, a cruise is a cruise!).

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

I just wanted to say that he sounds super adorable! Wish we were sailing on the Valor (my DH booked the San Juan itinerary and I was surprised to be on the Fascination instead of the Valor- but hey, a cruise is a cruise!).

Have a great time on your cruise!!!

Aw, thanks! He's so excited!

That San Juan itinerary is on my bucket list.

I think there is a age limit to the Behind the scene tour. If i remember right from our last one it was 8 years old.

They do have a Meet and Greet for pictures with the captain on the first elegant night so he could meet him there.

Also i asked the captain on the Conquest in November about how often they change ships. He informed us that they stay aboard from dry dock to dry dock. He turns over the ship to a new captain when they go back to dry dock again. I would assume that this is the case for all of Carnival Ships.

I think there is a age limit to the Behind the scene tour. If i remember right from our last one it was 8 years old.

They do have a Meet and Greet for pictures with the captain on the first elegant night so he could meet him there.

Also i asked the captain on the Conquest in November about how often they change ships. He informed us that they stay aboard from dry dock to dry dock. He turns over the ship to a new captain when they go back to dry dock again. I would assume that this is the case for all of Carnival Ships.

They have vacation.. dry dock is every 3-5 years.. that would be a LONG time between vacations no?. they have either a 4 month on/2 off or 3/3 rotation. They don't always stay with the same ship, depends on the company/ship needs etc... but they generally stay for a few years on the same ship.

They have vacation.. dry dock is every 3-5 years.. that would be a LONG time between vacations no?. they have either a 4 month on/2 off or 3/3 rotation. They don't always stay with the same ship, depends on the company/ship needs etc... but they generally stay for a few years on the same ship.

all i am saying is what the captain told us in his Behind the Scene Tour. If you know more of what he does than he does then more power to you. I dont personally know as i have never been a captain of a cruise ship.

all i am saying is what the captain told us in his Behind the Scene Tour. If you know more of what he does than he does then more power to you. I dont personally know as i have never been a captain of a cruise ship.

You nasty snarkeyness aside, I was providing accurate info regarding rotations. Yes, I do have more info (other than your heresay) as my husband has been a senior officer onboard for 18 years, he worked same schedule.

You nasty snarkeyness aside, I was providing accurate info regarding rotations. Yes, I do have more info (other than your heresay) as my husband has been a senior officer onboard for 18 years, he worked same schedule.

We were on the Liberty back in June and did the behind the scenes tour. It was a small group(8) so we got to ask lots of questions. Someone ask the Captain how often he changes ships and his response was "Liberty is MY ship and will be until I retire or CCL retires the Liberty, whichever comes first"!!

We were on the Liberty back in June and did the behind the scenes tour. It was a small group(8) so we got to ask lots of questions. Someone ask the Captain how often he changes ships and his response was "Liberty is MY ship and will be until I retire or CCL retires the Liberty, whichever comes first"!!

Captain Guiseppe Giusa is the "Captain" of the Liberty, but he rotates off every 2 months and is replaced by Captain Massimiliano Roja. It is Captain Giusa's ship.

Captain Roja rotates between relieving the Captains of the Glory and the Liberty. Captain Roja had his vacation in the late summer and rejoined the Liberty around September 14. He left the Liberty to go to the Glory around November 21.

Giusa was rattling off the names of ships he was on before the Liberty and it is quite long.

You can't go wrong with either one. Roja is 41 and Giusa is 47. Both are very personable, but Max Roja is drop dead gorgeous!

https://www.google.com/search?q=Captain+Giuseppe+giusa&newwindow=1&sa=X&rlz=1C1CHWA_enUS627US627&espv=2&biw=1366&bih=662&tbm=isch&imgil=YH1xxudqvlJJgM%253A%253BlOWI9wBC9FXpBM%253Bhttp%25253A%25252F%25252Fwww.beyondships2.com%25252Fcarnival-liberty-captain.html&source=iu&pf=m&fir=YH1xxudqvlJJgM%253A%252ClOWI9wBC9FXpBM%252C_&usg=__1YtRg6LY49poY7vZzTboMfQdT4s%3D&ved=0ahUKEwiSk7eblfXQAhVISCYKHc70Be8QyjcILA&ei=wwFSWNKlMMiQmQHO6Zf4Dg#imgrc=YH1xxudqvlJJgM%3A

Edited by DebJ14

Another caveat this year that is causing a lot of "stop gap" officer personnel changes and shuffling is the recent adoption of new IMI (maritime officer licensing) rules (Phillipine convention) by the Italian government. These new rules requires that EVERY officer has to re certify many of their courses In Italy. This requires weeks of classes in order for their IMOs to be valid come January. So there are a lot of shuffling at the moment as officers must take these courses and others must cover positions while courses are being completed and licenses renewed. My husband has to be out 3-4 weeks for the courses and renewals in Naples.

Also, to note... although Captains and Senior officers certainly have their preferences and wishes when it comes to,ships and personnel and they wield a good deal of say (and I am not discounting their views or wishes) but keep in mind it is ultimately up to the CCL home office and the COMPANY's needs (as with any company).

I know many have had the Behind the fun or Diamond experiences or spoke with captain stories but this is from first hand "LIVING behind the fun" Knowlege and experience for many years. Weirdly, most people in my life and onboard the ships when I travel with my husband ask me about life behind the scenes, not challenge me on it when I share some insight... guess I should keep in mind this IS CC..... So flame on...

To the OP, whatever captain is onboard I am sure he will be professional, polite and hopefully happy to meet and speak with your son. Have fun.

On the first formal night the captain will have a meet and greet. Take him to meet the captain and his crew. Maybe the captain will invite him to visit him on the bridge.

I'm so excited to see his reaction at the meet and greet!

• 1 month later...