Excursion dilemna

Cruise>Work

Arriving in Tortola for the day in October on the DCL Fantasy. 2 adults and 2 kids (12 and 11), looking for a good beach day with some snorkeling. After reviewing the boards for a while it seems to me to be narrowed down to Cane Garden Bay, Jost Van Dyke or a snorkel sail with stop at Pirates Bight excursion. Kids are strong swimmers. Is JVD mainly a bar scene and kind of spring break-ish? Have watched the Soggy Dollar Web Cam and sometimes it looks like a family beach and other times a bit more of a party atmosphere. :confused:

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thanks

>> looking for a good beach day with some snorkeling <<

Hi Cruise Work - CGB wouldn't be a good option, Brewers Bay would be the best off-the-beach snorkeling option on Tortola.

You can do some snorkeling off some parts of White Bay (we've not done that but have read of it), and as far as the beach yes, it is quieter in the morning and as the day goes on it bets busier. Kids are fine, if you head for a snorkel spot you'll be away from most of the crowd anyway...

Perhaps someone else here can help with the snorkeling options in White Bay.

The ultimate snorkeling option is indeed a day sail with Aristocat Charters or another operator that hits Norman Island and the Indians.

So just to clarify, we're not avid snorkelers and usually just enjoy the beach and beach bars. But for off the beach snorkeling Brewers Bay is probably the best bet, if you want a livelier beach you can try White Bay on Jost, and with a day sail you can enjoy better snorkeling sites.

If we decide to skip the snorkeling then is Jost Van Dyke worth the travel expense vs Cane Garden? From what I have read I wonder if Brewer's might be a little too rustic/isolated for my wife's comfort.

For what it means from someone who normally likes very nice places ... the absolute beauty and the way the Caribbean use to be and still is at Brewer's is so worth it.

Things are a bit rustic at Brewer's but not awful. ;)

Thank you for the advice, we will consider Brewers. Only additional question on Brewers is how to get transport back to the boat. I figure taxis at the port will be easy to find but if Brewers is remote I would guess that there are not taxis just waiting there.

How much for a taxi to Brewers each way for 4 and how long is the ride?

The group safari taxi is $8pp each way (discounts for toddlers) and a 20 - 25 min ride. There will be taxis there for your return, your driver will probably tell you what time he will return as well.

You can also take a private taxi for a similar price (or slightly more) as the fares are regulated for 1 person, 2ppl, and 3 or more ppl.

There are some nice youtube videos of the ride tho the beach and of the beach itself but it's nicer to be surprised when you arrive!

[EDIT] Children 11 yrs and older are full fare, if one can look 10 yrs old it's half fare ;)

• 4 weeks later...
For what it means from someone who normally likes very nice places ... the absolute beauty and the way the Caribbean use to be and still is at Brewer's is so worth it.

Things are a bit rustic at Brewer's but not awful. ;)

I'm really liking the idea of visiting here for the first time

I've NEVER been

There will be 2 of us

There is a write up to the primitive facilities there. And I'm confused by it because nothing is really written SPECIFIC as to this...besides "a toilet"

Running water? Take my own toilet paper?? Not trying to be funny. being serious.

Just want to know how and what to take as "extras" being there for the day

TY