How to Find your Viking Sun/Viking Spirit Roll Call

Peregrina651

The Viking Sun will be making her maiden voyage on October 4, 2017, less than 6 months from now and will begin Viking's first World Cruise Miami to London in December. There are a number of roll calls that have been started but they aren't getting much traffic. Maybe that is because people are relying on the "Find Your Roll Call" tool in the tool bar at the top of this page and the Viking Sun has not yet been added to the list of Viking ships. I don't know as much about the Spirit but I do know that there are a couple of roll calls already started and that Viking Spirit is also NOT on the drop-down list in the roll call tool. Cruise Critic has not gotten around to fixing the omission.

I love the roll calls and I want to help everyone who wants to participate to have an easy time finding them. I'm going to post links for all of the roll calls that have been started as of today and this list will be accurate only for today. I am not going to edit it in the future. If your sail date is not on the list below go to Viking Roll Calls/Viking Sun and check the list for existing roll calls before you start a new one. (There is nothing more frustrating than multiple rolls for the same sail date).

If you don't want to actively participate in a roll call, you can still easily follow it by subscribing to the thread. Use the THREAD TOOLS drop-down menu at the top of each thread to subscribe to the thread. Choose "Daily Notification" to receive a transcription of the last 24 hours worth of posts delivered right to you e-mail inbox (no need to navigate to Cruise Critic or to open the app in order to keep up with what's going on). If there have been no posts in the last 24 hours, there will be no e-mail and so you not have a flood of e-mails telling you that there have been no posts in the last 24 hours.

Here is the current list of Viking Sun roll calls, up to date as of May 7, 2017 and with no future updates anticipated.

INAUGURAL CRUISE

WORLD CRUISE

Here is the current list of Viking Spirit roll calls, up to date as of May 7, 2017 and with no future updates anticipated.

• 3 weeks later...
The Viking Sun will be making her maiden voyage on October 4, 2017, less than 6 months from now and will begin Viking's first World Cruise Miami to London in December. There are a number of roll calls that have been started but they aren't getting much traffic. Maybe that is because people are relying on the "Find Your Roll Call" tool in the tool bar at the top of this page and the Viking Sun has not yet been added to the list of Viking ships. I don't know as much about the Spirit but I do know that there are a couple of roll calls already started and that Viking Spirit is also NOT on the drop-down list in the roll call tool. Cruise Critic has not gotten around to fixing the omission.

I love the roll calls and I want to help everyone who wants to participate to have an easy time finding them. I'm going to post links for all of the roll calls that have been started as of today and this list will be accurate only for today. I am not going to edit it in the future. If your sail date is not on the list below go to Viking Roll Calls/Viking Sun and check the list for existing roll calls before you start a new one. (There is nothing more frustrating than multiple rolls for the same sail date).

If you don't want to actively participate in a roll call, you can still easily follow it by subscribing to the thread. Use the THREAD TOOLS drop-down menu at the top of each thread to subscribe to the thread. Choose "Daily Notification" to receive a transcription of the last 24 hours worth of posts delivered right to you e-mail inbox (no need to navigate to Cruise Critic or to open the app in order to keep up with what's going on). If there have been no posts in the last 24 hours, there will be no e-mail and so you not have a flood of e-mails telling you that there have been no posts in the last 24 hours.

Here is the current list of Viking Sun roll calls, up to date as of May 7, 2017 and with no future updates anticipated.

INAUGURAL CRUISE

WORLD CRUISE

Here is the current list of Viking Spirit roll calls, up to date as of May 7, 2017 and with no future updates anticipated.

Thank you for listing the Spirit roll calls. We will be taking the April 21, 2019 cruise and I am eager but, what a long wait! Anticipation is half the fun.

• 1 month later...

Bumping this back up to the top with some new information.

CC is waiting for the tech team to add Viking Sun and Viking Spirit to the drop down menu.

In the meantime, I learned from one of the tech forums that the "Find Your Roll Call" tool will automatically update as new roll calls are started but only if the date in the subject line is properly formatted. July 3, 2017 is the preferred formatting. 7/3/17 can cause confusion because depending where you are from you could be saying March 7, 2017 or July 3, 2017. Also if you you give more than the starting date of the cruise, such as July 3-10, 2017 it might not be picked up.

Hi Peregrina651, I was the one who set up the rollcall for Viking sun october 4-11 2017 venice, the adriatic and Greece.

Should I be setting up a new one with a new format? Thanks, Pat

No. That would be even more confusing; then there would be two roll calls going for the same sailing. Don't do anything until after they add Sun and Spirit to the "Find Your Roll Call" tool. If at that time, your roll call is not on the list, then you can try contacting the moderators to ask them to change the date in the subject line so that it will be picked up.

What's the advised protocol for creating a Roll Call for an ocean cruise, i.e. how far in advance is too soon such that it will slide off into oblivion?

I have started two roll calls in my cruising career. Both were over a 1 1/2 years out. First was full transit of the Panama Canal on Celebrity; and the current Viking Sea sailing, March of 2018 from San Juan to Barcelona. I started the roll call in Aug 2016!

I do check that it is on the first page and will post if it looks like it is sliding into page two.

:)

What's the advised protocol for creating a Roll Call for an ocean cruise, i.e. how far in advance is too soon such that it will slide off into oblivion?

There is no protocol other than first one there gets the honor of making the first post.

As Azulann, says, the only way to keep the roll call from sliding into oblivion is to baby-sit it. Keep it on page one as best you can and post something new when it hits page two. Some roll calls take off very quickly and don't need much babysitting and others don't go anywhere--and there is no way of knowing what kind of roll call yours will be.