New York Times: North Atlantic Storms Slow Queen Mary 2's Maiden Voyage to New York

guernseyguy

From today's New York Times:

North Atlantic Storms Slow Queen Mary 2's Maiden Voyage to New York

By JAMES BARRON

Published: April 21, 2004

Ah well, thats all right then! Though what they were doing off Scotland defeats me....and surely not a dig at the fragrant Cindy?

Peter

[This message was edited by LauraSterling on 04-21-04 at 01:49 PM.]

Thanks.

Well, if she was suppose to dock at 8am and now she's going to be two hours late, that means she should pass under the bridge at 845am......right?

I'm off to the airport to catch my flight.

Russ

Russ:

Ships take approximately and hour and a half to travel from the VN bridge to the pier. QE2 used to pass under at 5:30 and dock at 7am. So if the ship is now expected in at 10am, it should pass under the bridge at 8:30 am. We were going to wait at the Battery on the way to work around 6:15 am (when the ship should have passed if it was on schedule).

I guess we can go the view from the bridge cam and when we see the ship has entered Upper New York Bay, walk down to the Promenade in Brooklyn Heights (near work) and view it as it approaches the Battery.

Have a great trip!

Jeanne

After the experience of the passengers on the first trans-Atlantic crossing, I still don't see how Cunard is going to fill all those cabins for 26 crossings in 2005? Six days of rocking and rolling with no ports doesn't sound like a cruise magnet to me. Don't be surprised if the itinerary is subject to revision.

I do think of QM2 as a Cruise Magnet, rather a Crossing Magnet. Cunard has a monopoly on crossings and on QE2 as always been able to charge higher rates for these passages (as oppossed to its sailings to ports)for a ship without much in the way of modern cruise ammenities.

Some of us prefer the ship as a destination, with ports being secondary. Indeed, on a crossing, one has more time to enjoy shipboard life.

In order to fill a ship this size perhaps fares will become more affordable - is a good thing, thus Cunard should not have a problem filling QM2.

The weather is not always Force 10 on crossings. In April, one does take the risk of bad weather.

Archived