Is There No Alcohol Allowed In Cabins?

Rolls

Hello to all.

Under the new conditions with regards to no duty free alcohol allowed to be taken on board for the cabin, does this mean that NO alcohol is allowed in the cabins at all?:confused:

The reason I ask is because we use to invite guests down for pre-dinner drinks from time to time during the cruise.

If the answer is no, I suppose we just have to meet in one of the bars on board before dinner.

Regards

Rolls

2002 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2003 Pacific Sky (September from Sydney)

2004 Pacific Sky (August from Auckland)

2005 Pacific Sun (September from Sydney)

2006 Pacific Sun (9 weeks 3 days remaining- N628 17 September):)

Hi rolls, the only alcohol u can have is what u buy over the bar by the glass. And u cant take any onboard with you . They also xray ur bags whenever u get back on the boat from being ashore so there is little chance of getting something on from one of ur stops

Thanks for that. It's all a bit of a shame really over this death in 2002. I was on that cruise at the time.

I think P&O have taken some bad and unnecessary media reports over this issue, even in New Zealand. What the media claims what happens on cruise ships is totally wrong.

Regards

Rolls

Hi rolls, the only alcohol u can have is what u buy over the bar by the glass. And u cant take any onboard with you . They also xray ur bags whenever u get back on the boat from being ashore so there is little chance of getting something on from one of ur stops

Thanks for that. It's all a bit of a shame really over this death in 2002. I was on that cruise at the time.

I think P&O have taken some bad and unnecessary media reports over this issue, even in New Zealand. What the media claims what happens on cruise ships is totally wrong.

Regards

Rolls

Hi Rolls,

You can't take any alcohol on but you can bring alcohol from any bar and bring it back to your cabin. We brought it down to ours (like bottles of beer, cocktails or cruisers) for when we were getting dressed etc with no problems at all.

hope this helps

I honestly couldn't think anything worse than having drinks in the cabin when you can be on deck, at the bar or somewhere nice, talking to people. After all it is only four walls, four very close walls.

It is good to have a drink at the bar if you want, but it is equally good to have some in your cabin if you want.

I accept the rules about not taking alcohol on board, but think you should be able to buy a bottle of wine in an ice bucket to enjoy in your cabin.

We have a balcony cabin next cruise, and that is one of the things I would really like. To share some wine with my husband of 31 years on our own private balcony at night looking out over the water under the moon.

It is not as if we are likely to run riot over the ship if we have too much to drink. (wild pictures going around in my head at the thought) :D :D

There is a time to be sensible and to recognise that a lot of the passengers are mature, law abiding people who have consideration to others and P&O should see it. I accept buying their alcohol, but also think that they should allow people to buy wine by the bottle to take back to their cabin.

I know that you can buy a glass of wine at the bar and take it to your cabin, but it is a long hike to get the next.

So, wake up P&O. Let us oldies enjoy our booze by the bottle. :p

Jenny, (living happily near the vineyards in the Hunter Valley)

>^..^<

Let's face it. If you're going to get drunk, you're going to get drunk regardless of whether you buy the alcohol & drink it at a bar or take it to your cabin & drink it. When I cruised on the Fairstar 20 years ago I enjoyed having a drink in my cabin chatting with the girls about our day whilst we got ready for dinner. Unfortunately, when we cruised on the Pacific Sun 3 months ago I didn't have this luxury (chatting with family as opposed to the girls) & I must say I really missed that.

Karen

Interesting comments made about this.

I enjoy a drink in the cabin and will continue to do so. It's nice to know that you are still able to bring a drink down from the bar.:)

Thanks for the replies. It seems some people like to have a drink in the cabin and some don't, however I think you should be able to have the right to choose.

Rolls

We have just returned from the Grand Princess and have booked the Arcadia for our next cruise. Whilst on the Grand Princess, whilst at ports of call we bought wine and brought it back to theship. :o It did go through the scanner/x-ray machine but no one confiscated it, nor did Security say anything to us. :p We too like a pre-dinner drink in our room, and having 1 bottle of wine lasting two evenings in the Restaurant, I can't say my daily units are very high. What happened in 2002 to stop all this? and is the 'not allowed' policy one that is printed in a book that gets sent to all? Has any member just returned from holiday openly brought a bottle of wine back on board. Princess Cruises state that you are allowed to bring wine and champagne on board for special occassions.:cool:

We have just returned from the Grand Princess and have booked the Arcadia for our next cruise. Whilst on the Grand Princess, whilst at ports of call we bought wine and brought it back to theship. :o It did go through the scanner/x-ray machine but no one confiscated it, nor did Security say anything to us. :p We too like a pre-dinner drink in our room, and having 1 bottle of wine lasting two evenings in the Restaurant, I can't say my daily units are very high. What happened in 2002 to stop all this? and is the 'not allowed' policy one that is printed in a book that gets sent to all? Has any member just returned from holiday openly brought a bottle of wine back on board. Princess Cruises state that you are allowed to bring wine and champagne on board for special occassions.:cool:

It's a long story KimmyUK, which if you go back through the P&O board you'll be able to follow. But in a nutshell, in 2002 a woman was raped and murdered onboard P&O Australia's Pacific Sky, after her drink was spiked on the first night of her South Pacific Cruise.

Scroll forward to 2006 and the coronial inquest into her death and stories, a lot of them hyped out of proportion by tabloid media, are flying about that P&O Australia's cruises are drug and alchol fueled orgys, in response to which the company is making a show of cracking down on this sort of behaviour. One of these controls is to monitor the amount of alchol being consumed by passengers by not allowing passengers to bring it on board, forcing them to buy it all onboard which is supposed to make it easier to control.

Every passenger receieves a copy of the alchol policy when they receive their tickets.

Kym

Hi Kym,

Many thanks for you reply. I have booked fly cruise from London - departing NewOrleans to Barbados....Aft Cabin....must a little way ahead yet...am looking forward to it though.:)

Sounds like fun, apart from having to go to America to do it ;) !

Unfortunately we don't have any cruises planned at the moment - and our last cruise (March this year) seems to be slipping further into the past. Although I'm reliving it a bit at the moment as I finally get around to putting together the video footage that we shot.

You should be able to take wine on board with you, or, P&O should offer to sell it at a reasonable price. Having just had a v disappointing trip aboard the Pacific Star, their alcohol policy just exacerbated the situation.

I know what happened with the sad case of Dianne Brimble, but really this could have happened with drink bought from the bar.....and this crime was committed by a large group of single male travellers, not older couples wanting to enjoy a good bottle of wine at a reasonable price on their own balcony that they have paid for with hard earned money.

I have never seen any of the behaviour described in these threads and have now been on 6 cruises. P & O, in my opinion have managed to turn a luxury holiday into a downmarket Butlins Holiday Camp.

Why go with P &O when you can have the luxury of Princess, be treated like an adult, enjoy great food, and enjoy the old grape juice whilst watching the world go by? NCL are just as good too ...

I haven't noticed a great difference in price either...

Note these are my opinions only...I have only tried P&O once and won't be going there again. I am sure the luxury cruise liners that operate out of the UK are much more upmarket, but the Pacific Star is 25 years old and no longer a shining star.

Regards,

Kath

Don't judge all P & O ships by your experience on only one of their ships. Pacific Sun is a fantastic ship and the crew are first class with manners, courtesy etc. Food was incredible, everyone thought so. I have family that have travelled before and their experience on the Sky and Sun were exceptional. So obviously not every cruise suits everybody by your experience, so it is good to know exactly what the staff did to spoil your holdiay.

I agree with you "howsthis". My experience on P&O cruises, which is 4 cruises, soon to be 5 in September, on both the Sky and Sun has been great. The people on board have been nice and the crew excellent. I think P&O have done a great job in increasing their numbers of people taking cruises in Australia and New Zealand.

I am pleased that on cruises these days you don't have to be in your Sunday best all day and night. I do like dressing up for dinner, however it's nice to be in relaxing but tidy clothes during the day.

P&O cruise ships Sun/Star and the good old Sky are all older ships, but that in my opinion what makes them great ships. I can remember one of the Captains on one of the cruises I went on, saying that these modern cruise ships like the Grand Princess and Shappire Princess look like supermarket trolleys.

However I am sure these ships are wonderful on the inside, but give me the old Pacific Sky/Sun and Star anyday.

Just my opinion.

Rolls

I agree with you "howsthis". .........I am pleased that on cruises these days you don't have to be in your Sunday best all day and night. I do like dressing up for dinner, however it's nice to be in relaxing but tidy clothes during the day.

...........but give me the old Pacific Sky/Sun and Star anyday.

Just my opinion.

Rolls

Ditto

Karen

Archived