Benefits of transferring reservations to a TA?

We have two cruises booked with directly through RCI for 2011. Both are suites and neither is going to be particularly cheap. I thought booking directly was the more convenient way to go, but in reading this board it seems discounts or other perks are available from travel agents.

What are the benefits of transferring the reservations to a TA, and how would I go about finding a good one? Thanks in advance!

What are the benefits of transferring the reservations to a TA, and how would I go about finding a good one? Thanks in advance!

Pros:

1. Many TA's will kick back part of their commission in the form of onboard credit, prepaid gratuities, and/or gifts (bottle of wine, etc.)

2. If you want to switch cabins, change your dining time, take advantage of a price drop, or otherwise change your reservation, the TA will do it so you don't have to wait on hold forever with RCI.

3. If RCI boots you out of the cabin you reserved or makes other changes you're not happy with or you encounter problems, your TA can go to bat for you to get the problem resolved. If they book a lot of clients on RCI, (or have the potential to do so) they may have more "pull" than you do individually.

4. Many TA's will monitor prices and watch for price drops for you.

Cons:

1. See #2 above. Your TA must be the one to do this. You can't do it yourself, even if you want to.

2. Some TA's will charge an upfront fee, or a fee for you to make changes to your reservation, or will not honor price drops even though RCI would, etc.

I have changed my mind on this topic from even 2 or 3 years ago...........

I now book everything direct............

From being a regular on cruise critic and having cruised 19 times I know more than my TA does on virtually anything Royal Caribbean or cruising related.........(and she knows it;)).......

Ask your TA just one question...............HOW many cruises have you been on? You'd be surprised at the number of TA's that have never been on a cruise......

They can be helpful if you only have a few under your belt..........but if you are a cruise veteran.........Book your own. JMO

2. If you want to switch cabins, change your dining time, take advantage of a price drop, or otherwise change your reservation, the TA will do it so you don't have to wait on hold forever with RCI.

Huh??? I have never had a significant delay being on hold with RCCL. Sometimes price drops only last a day. I would be more worried that the TA wasn't around to take my call and I lost out on the price reduction.

If I reserve online, I transfer to my TA. She's the one who makes sure that I have my booking number, etc., IN WRITING. With online operator's, you can consider yourself lucky to get your boooking number over the phone.

Of course, if you use a TA, use the same one every time, so you get to know each other. I've had the same great TA since 1996.

Is there a time limit to when a cruise can be transferred to a TA? Would 30 days out be too late to move the reservation?

You have to transfer the reservation prior to final payment. Once final payment has been made, you can no longer transfer.

I am currently booked directly with RCL (not online, but through one of their vacation planners by phone). I purchased RCL insurance and Choice Air at the time of booking. Are there any issues with my insurance or Choice Air that I should be aware of if I transfer to a TA prior to final payment?

I don't want to do something stupid like have pre-existing conditions no longer covered or lose any protection for delayed flights! Thanks!

I am currently booked directly with RCL (not online, but through one of their vacation planners by phone). I purchased RCL insurance and Choice Air at the time of booking. Are there any issues with my insurance or Choice Air that I should be aware of if I transfer to a TA prior to final payment?

I don't want to do something stupid like have pre-existing conditions no longer covered or lose any protection for delayed flights! Thanks!

Your reservation, insurance and flights will remain completely intact, not a problem at all.

interesting i was at a meeting with a rep from rccl and then another cruiseline the next day

the cruiselines encouraging booking with ta

it wouldn't surprise me in the future that it will cost more to call up the cruiselines as opposed to booking with a ta or booking on-line

airlines now charge more to book over the phone

The major drawback with booking with a TA is you will lose full control over your reservation. If any issue arises, RCL will not talk with you. You must talk with your TA and then your TA will resolve it with RCL. So you better get a good TA.

Also, make sure your TA will not charge any fees for any reservation changes or price drops.

interesting i was at a meeting with a rep from rccl and then another cruiseline the next day

the cruiselines encouraging booking with ta

it wouldn't surprise me in the future that it will cost more to call up the cruiselines as opposed to booking with a ta or booking on-line

airlines now charge more to book over the phone

Interesting. I would guess the opposite. I think when the cruiselines figure out how to make their online booking engines more interactive and idiot proof, booking with cruiselines will increase, not decrease. I've yet to hear a good reason why the cruiseline would think booking direct many months in advance and then having it transfered to a TA right before final payment is a good deal. They have to front the expense of direct booking and then pay a 15% or so commission when its transfered. I actually think all cruiselines will move first to the Carnival model with early bird discounts and a rule that bookings can't be transfered after 30 days. No, I don't think this is a sign that cruiselines want to push more volume to travel agencies. It's not the most economical business model for the 21st century.

Interesting. I would guess the opposite. I think when the cruiselines figure out how to make their online booking engines more interactive and idiot proof, booking with cruiselines will increase, not decrease. I've yet to hear a good reason why the cruiseline would think booking direct many months in advance and then having it transfered to a TA right before final payment is a good deal. They have to front the expense of direct booking and then pay a 15% or so commission when its transfered. I actually think all cruiselines will move first to the Carnival model with early bird discounts and a rule that bookings can't be transfered after 30 days. No, I don't think this is a sign that cruiselines want to push more volume to travel agencies. It's not the most economical business model for the 21st century.

it might sound logical to get "rid" of the travel agent but doubt it will happen

two really big on line booking sites now are paying travel agent commissions

Archived