Questions: To Radiance cruisers this summer

My husband does not wish to take his suit for formal nights on our cruise to the Pacific Islands in 3 weeks. He feels it is unsuitable for an island cruise and will take up too much space and weight in the suitcase.

Could anyone tell me that cruised Radiance, were there many people that did not participate in formal nights on the cruises this Summer and where to dine instead? (I do not wish for him to be a fish out of water):o

Another question, did anyone have issues taking bottled water onboard when they embarked?;)

Hi,

No trouble with taking water onboard - we were on in January. We took a couple of bottles in our backpacks through security, xray etc and no problems at all. Our waiters refilled them for us and we took them off each day we were in port etc. No problems at all.

Can't help with your first question, I took my suit - it didn't take up much room, and enjoyed getting dressed up for dinner. Even if we were on a island during the day, of a night in the dining room it was a completely different atmosphere so was nice to dress up. But obviously that is just personal choice. You could go to windjammers (the buffet) on those nights and it wouldn't be a problem not wearing a suit.

Hi there, im not long off the Radiance and had 2 formal nights on a 7 night cruise. I most definitely am not a fan of the suit thing but must admit i always get dressed up for the formal nights and get changed after dinner;) im not exactly sure how many people don't get dressed up , but im sure the majority do!! as far as taking up too much room in suitcase, i carry mine on in suit bag, i don't put it in with my luggage!! like kevin said it is a completely different atmosphere at night on the ship compared to the islands during the day, hope for your sake he gets involved and puts the suit on, its only for a couple of hours after all ;):D

Thank you Kevin and Aussiescouser for your replies.

Can you carry your suitbag as hand luggage as well as your small case though?

Did either of you purchase the wine package? I was going to purchase before I left but have heard there is an Aus/NZ package available. Do you know if this is correct?

sorry cant help you on the wine front but yes absolutely you can carry on your suit bag and hand luggage, when u board Radiance they do not allow you to your cabin until 1pm, i was onboard at 11am but had to carry suit around with me for a couple of hours! enjoy she is a beautiful ship ;):D

There are options if you don't wish to attend formal dinner in the dining room.

The dress code in the Windjammer is always neat casual and Rita's Cantina has a similar approach. Most of the other restaurants are more formal though.

My Dh doesnt like too much dressing up but he does do a jacket if not the tie on formal nights Some men did just long sleeve shirts and tie.. Do feel things are really not as formal as years ago.but it is nice!! Re the wine on the Rhapsody there was an Australian package which turned out to be O.K. and not to expensive. We were fortunate to be Diamond Members and December was special for us all and had complimentary drinks each night from 5-8 so hoping same on Radiance in Sept.REgards Irene and Stran

just a quick one in regards to the Radiance!!! Rita's is a must, we didn't discover the food until the last day unfortunately or should that be fortunately!!! there is a charge involved buy OMG so cheeeaaapppp! the largest plate of nachos freshly made including the corn chips with all the toppings for $2.50 and the churos desert is unbelievable for the cost of $1.75 mmm , hope they put one of these places on the Rhapsody!!!!:D:D

When we sailed, it was raining that morning so we got dropped off earlier than we planned to; mainly so we didn't have to line up outside in the rain but could line up at the front of the line undercover.

So we were there about 9:30 - 10:00 ish. Can't remember exactly. We were about 20-25 in the queue. We stood in line outside the door till 11:00; and then up the escalator and through security. Then customs was pretty quick; and then we only waited a few minutes before being called over to the checkin desk.

Then our passports were checked for the third time and then onboard at 11:25 from memory.

We also had to carry our hand luggage around till 1pm before we could get to the cabin. We could have found a seat and waited but it was too much fun exploring the ship!

At 2 or 3pm we looked out and saw the line up from the front of the passenger terminal back as far as the road, and were pretty happy to be on board and not standing in the queue. So that made carrying the hand luggage around all the more worth it!

Thank you Kevin and Aussiescouser for your replies.

Did either of you purchase the wine package? I was going to purchase before I left but have heard there is an Aus/NZ package available. Do you know if this is correct?

We have always purchased the wine package on board, we enjoy a wine (or 6) with dinner. It works out to save you around 25% over buying the wines individually and you can purchase the package when you are on board at dinner the first night or outside Windjammers during the first day if you wish and this gets charged to your account on board.

We did find there was an Aus/NZ package when we sailed out of Sydney, but I can't recall that being the case when we left from Honolulu or in Europe.

Enjoy;)

We have always purchased the wine package on board, we enjoy a wine (or 6) with dinner. It works out to save you around 25% over buying the wines individually and you can purchase the package when you are on board at dinner the first night or outside Windjammers during the first day if you wish and this gets charged to your account on board.

We did find there was an Aus/NZ package when we sailed out of Sydney, but I can't recall that being the case when we left from Honolulu or in Europe.

Enjoy;)

Thank you Kaytwo. I will purchase on board then. Then I will be able to see if the Aus/NZ wines are worthwhile. We always like to have a glass or two with dinner as well.

Well DH is going formal, even bought the bowtie yesterday. LOL.:eek:

My husband does not wish to take his suit for formal nights on our cruise to the Pacific Islands in 3 weeks. He feels it is unsuitable for an island cruise and will take up too much space and weight in the suitcase.

Could anyone tell me that cruised Radiance, were there many people that did not participate in formal nights on the cruises this Summer and where to dine instead? (I do not wish for him to be a fish out of water):o

Another question, did anyone have issues taking bottled water onboard when they embarked?;)

We just got off the radiance from a 16 day cruise.you can take water onboard.we had 3 formal nites.most people wore coates and ties but some just had pants and open neck collared shirts which did not present any problems...really neat and tidy is acceptable...no tee shirts but polo shirts no worries.it a fabulous ship and you will have a great time.there is no weight restrictions on luggage on cruise ships but i guess if you need to fly to the ship then the airline have restrictions .we sailed from sydney to perth 16 days and flew back with qantas.they have a 23 kg limit on checked bagage and 7 kg on cabin bags.i packed my suit and we still were under the permisible limit.

have fun

Hi just of the Radiance, oz/nz wine package was 12 btls $315 american. Drink prices were very good $5.25 btl beer. Spirits average $6 for basic ones, but very strong in some bars.

Hope that helps.

I too just got off the Radiance in Perth. As we were travelling in hot areas I left my suit at home and wore long sleeve shirt and smart casual pants. We ate in the dining room on formal night and did not feel like a fish out of water at all, in fact I think I was much more comfortable than those in suits.:)

Also just off 7 day Feb Cruise - wish we had purchased the wine package. Beer, spirits and cocktails were reasonably priced but for some reason wine was expensive.

We also drink a lot of bottled water and choose to buy the bulk water package - saved about 15%.

If you can afford it go for the $120pp Chefs Table & 4 Speciality Restaurant Cover Charge package - food and dining experience was sensational.

Also just off 7 day Feb Cruise - wish we had purchased the wine package. Beer, spirits and cocktails were reasonably priced but for some reason wine was expensive.

We also drink a lot of bottled water and choose to buy the bulk water package - saved about 15%.

If you can afford it go for the $120pp Chefs Table & 4 Speciality Restaurant Cover Charge package - food and dining experience was sensational.

Thank you Sunygirl. Did you book the Specialty Restaurant Package precruise or on board?

Hope you have many lovely memories of your cruise.

We booked the Speciality package on board. Pre-cruise we had tentatively decided we would like to do the Chefs Table - from memory costs about $95 each so for the extra money to include the other restaurants was a bargain. Some of them had cover charges of $20 - $30. These restaurants provided much more intimate and less rushed dining. Also the food was more like 5 star dining and of course the level of service was outstanding. Both my husband and I had the tastiest fillet steaks we have ever had.

We spoke extensively to the Sommelier and he stated that the bulk of the food comes in frozen from the US as they have to know the origins of the food and how it is cared for so they can maintain the same level of standard across all ships. Naturally salads etc were local but you could not tell what was fresh and what was frozen.

Archived