Warm clothing for NZ Cruises?

1HORRIE1

:confused:We are couple of "oldies" and being Queenslanders, do not have great deal of warm clothing, and we are unlikely to use any we purchase after our return - as a rule "if palm trees don't grow - We don't go".

We are cruising out on the Pacific Dawn W142 on 19 Nov and return on 4 Dec and surmise that the weather could be anything at that time of the year. We don't want to go out and buy stuff which we may/maynot need and was wondering if we should leave it until we get to NZ and then we would have a better idea of what is needed. Is this a good idea and how do NZ prices range as against Oz shops?

:confused:We are couple of "oldies" and being Queenslanders, do not have great deal of warm clothing, and we are unlikely to use any we purchase after our return - as a rule "if palm trees don't grow - We don't go".

We are cruising out on the Pacific Dawn W142 on 19 Nov and return on 4 Dec and surmise that the weather could be anything at that time of the year. We don't want to go out and buy stuff which we may/maynot need and was wondering if we should leave it until we get to NZ and then we would have a better idea of what is needed. Is this a good idea and how do NZ prices range as against Oz shops?

Hi Horrie,

I would suggest layers! We have cruised to NZ twice in February. It is nice and warmish in the north, but the south is another matter. :rolleyes: First time we got away with a warm coat, long slacks, and a cardigan or two. Last year a south-easterly got up and it was sooooo cold in Akaroa that we had to resort to buying beanies.

A light showerproof or waterproof is essential to keep out the wind in the sounds and very useful. Worn over a light jumper/cardigan it is nice and warm. I would buy any clothes before you go as I believe that is the cheaper option. Also, it is not always easy to find a shop selling what you want. Good luck - it is a wonderful cruise. We are doing it for the third time next Feb. :)

Things are generally warmer here in November, but not always typical summer weather. As someone has suggested, take layers that can easily be added or stripped off as the weather changes. I would recommend packing a sturdy jacket for when you're down south, but I doubt you will need coats that time of year. Keep the jacket for the south island, I doubt you'd need more than a sweater or cardigan for the north during that time.

I would agree but add windproof / water proof outerwear

A friend of mine in the States has a wonder wind and waterproof lightweight jacket lined with polar fleece - I would (almost) kill to have that kind of multi-purpose jacket !!

If you have any camping stores near to you, you may be able to find that sort of thing and if you're lucky, it may be on special due to the change in seasons.

Alternatively - second hand clothing stores or garage sales may be an option if you want to keep the prices down considering your more of a palm tree than fir tree person :D

I would also agree - buy it now before you leave - why waste time on holidays shopping for what I would consider to be every day items when you could be out seeing the sites (and sights)?

As I said above, we did find a windproof/waterproof coat adequate, especially over a cardigan, light jumper, but If you wish to get what Dougo suggests, try Kathmandu shops. They have sales from time to time. One of our sons bought warm clothing for NZ there..........then it was warm so he didn't need it. :rolleyes: However, it was a land trip, not a sea cruise, nor did he visit the sounds.

An echo of Dougo in Oz. Somewhere on the internet, could have been CC, I picked up a post from a couple who travelled regularly to the chilly Northern Hemisphere from a warm climate. They were travelling by air so bought warm clothes from Op shops, when they got there and donated them back before they flew out. On a cruise without baggage restrictions you could buy here and do the same on your return. Alternatively try Rivers - cheaper than Khatmandu and a good selection of layer type and waterproof garments to choose from.

Colleen

An echo of Dougo in Oz. Somewhere on the internet, could have been CC, I picked up a post from a couple who travelled regularly to the chilly Northern Hemisphere from a warm climate. They were travelling by air so bought warm clothes from Op shops, when they got there and donated them back before they flew out. On a cruise without baggage restrictions you could buy here and do the same on your return. Alternatively try Rivers - cheaper than Khatmandu and a good selection of layer type and waterproof garments to choose from.

Colleen

I've read of people doing that too but on TripAdvisor ... just packing clothes specifically for the climate they were going to which was the opposite to where they live...they went to an Op shop, wore the clothes and then left it all behind when they headed for home.

Thanks folks, some really good advice there - I'll do some scouting around, check Katmandu, BCF, etc. Better to have a bit much rather than freeze, I just found this last winter to be terribly long and cold and dont want to head back into freezing climes totally unprepared. Thanks again.

Horrie

Hi Horrie,

Your cruise goes to Milford Sound and the other sounds before it goes to any ports in NZ. To enjoy Fiordland you need to spend most of the day on the open decks, starting early in the morning. At the end of November it will be very very cold and you will need one set of warm clothing as well as a coat or parka if you want to enjoy the beautiful scenery. On one cruise a few years ago (Pacific Sun from Brisbane on 28th November) it actually snowed very lightly onto the deck when the ship was in Milford Sound. I heard this from friends who were passengers and from several crew members.

You might still be able to buy some end-of-season warm clothes. Op shops are always a good option, but I would not wait until you get to NZ. When you get to a port when you could buy clothes, you will have already passed the coldest area of your cruise.

Archived