Alaskan cruise.....when?

iott family

We sailed on June 8th last year. Clear skies most of the week and temperature hovering in the 60's. Glacier Bay was absolutely impressive in crystal clear skies.

Check my photos (review linked below in my signature). :)

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

You've come to the right place for answers. Cruise Critic has a large number of seasoned cruisers (excluding me) who will be happy to share their wealth of knowledge and expertise with you.

We have only sailed on two Alaska cruises on two different cruise lines. Both cruises were in mid August. The weather was warm and nice. On both cruises, the ships were able to get fairly close to the glaciers. My wife was deliriously happy since she takes tons of pictures on every cruise.

Happy cruising!

Edited by JimAOk1945

if you have specific interests, like fishing or bear viewing, there are peak periods of time for these activities. And the peak period can be different at each port. So be mindful of your priorities and do your research.

If you're doing a one-way cruise, and plan on land activities north of Anchorage, be aware that some activities, hotels, visitor centers don't open until Memorial Day or later. This is especially important if you plan to visit Denali.

And daylight is an important factor. By Sept the days are getting shorter. Also after Labor Day you risk getting hit by a fall storm which can make for a miserable trip.

Just wondering what time of year is the best for an Alaskan cruise.

We usually cruise mid October when the kids are on fall break.

Thanks for any input!

Cari

For the better chances on weather, I would recommend mid May through the first week of Sept. However IF including mainland Alaska and Denali Park, I only recommend northbound sailings, from last week of May.

There are no where near the numbers of kids sailing Alaska compared to the Caribbean, demographics are all ages with the bulk middle aged and above.

Alaska cruises run late May to late September typically. Early June usually doesn't have as many kids and the weather is a little better.

Sent from my HTC6500LVW using Tapatalk

Alaska cruises run the month of May, with usually some cruise lines starting end of April.

Just wondering what time of year is the best for an Alaskan cruise.

We usually cruise mid October when the kids are on fall break.

Thanks for any input!

Cari

There are no October Alaskan cruises, you'll have to pick a different school vacation.

Alaskan cruises run mid-May to mid-September, with people in June generally reporting the best weather.

I think we went in July and it rained and poured. However, it was still one of the best vacations ever.

There are no October Alaskan cruises, you'll have to pick a different school vacation.

Alaskan cruises run mid-May to mid-September, with people in June generally reporting the best weather.

I think we went in July and it rained and poured. However, it was still one of the best vacations ever.

The cruises run from the end of April through Sept. Historically mid May through June has been a winner weather time for the inside passage. But, I believe 2012 had cold wet weather.

IF weather is your priority, then you either must be accepting of this NOT working out for you, or choosing another location. Weather reports are ALL hindsioght. Every else is speculation.

The best time to cruise Alaska is when it fits your schedule and budget. Perhaps if you can fit it the fact that the 21st of June is the longest daylight you might want to think about that.

Everything else you have no control ....