Southern alps express train ride

Dewlady

What sort of timings does Princess give? I ask because I am really puzzled by it being called 'express'. It's a 1hr 15 minute drive from Akaroa to Christchurch Station where the Tranzalpine train leaves from at 08.15. The journey to Greymouth takes 5 hours, arriving at 13.05 and then leaves to come back to Christchurch at 14.05, arriving at 18.31. Then another 1hr 15 min back to Akaroa. Total time 12 hours!!! Not what I'd call 'express':D:D:D

But it's a fantastic journey. What time of year will you be there?

It's an amazing journey and I'd do it again. I've only done it by train in both directions, but the bus ride back will be equally spectacular with fantastic views. We've driven this route, so I know what it's like.

Google

http://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz for more information and photos (sorry I don't know how to post a link)

and then choose Tranzalpine.

What time of year will you be here?

It's an amazing journey and I'd do it again. I've only done it by train in both directions, but the bus ride back will be equally spectacular with fantastic views. We've driven this route, so I know what it's like.

Google

http://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz for more information and photos (sorry I don't know how to post a link)

Thanks so much for your reply. We will be there middle of February

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Google

What side of the train would be best to sit? Or doesn’t it matter

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

It really doesn't matter, there's scenery all around you!. There is an open-air observation car - no glass in the windows - which is good for taking photos from. And you'll be coming in the middle of summer, so should have blue skies and sunshine.

But look on the link I gave you, or just google Tranzalpine for more information.

Enjoy your trip.

The train does not leave from Akaroa.

From Akaroa you will travel by bus to meet the Trans Alpine train, at Rolleston, which is south of Christchurch.(I do not believe you will board the train in Christchurch.)

The train journey is quite interesting,crossing the Canterbury Plains, and up to Arthur's Pass, where I believe you will leave the train and board the Bus, for the return journey to Akaroa.

It won't matter which side of the train you sit on as there are big windows to view the scenery, also the outdoor observation area.

Don't forget your camera:)

We enjoyed the train journey from Christchurch to Greymouth return, have also driven the route to the West Coast several times.

Hope you have a great cruise, and enjoy your visit to New Zealand.

• 1 month later...

I've done the Transalpine, in addition to other scenic train rides around the world (It's just a =thing= for me)

If it is high on your bucket list, go for it. But as compared to others I've been on, it was a disappointment. Actually, I liked the Taieri Gorge, out of Dunedin, better