krogerlady

Joining your roll call  

287 members have voted

1. 1. Joining your roll call

• I joined my roll call as soon as I joined CC
    • I joined my roll call after I read a few posts
    • I have not joined my roll call
    • I am scared to let strangers know where I will be

Help me understand, please, there might really be a good reason, why everyone does not post in their roll call? Every ship is huge, well most of them are, but even the smaller ships, there are still a lot of folks hitting the docks all at once. So with that many people and that many ships, and starting may the numbers are staggering, so why do the roll calls only have a handfull of people? Just go to the ROLL CALLS forum. Find your ship line, click, then find your sailing, just in case someone has already posted it, if not, you post it. We are June 10 on the Spirit. There are about 20 of us. Of course, if there is a threat to doing this, something to fear, from someone on CC who might not be what they are showing them to be, well, gee, then I am taking a risk. Check it out...you don't have to post until you read a few posts and see if you feel comfortable.....

My roll call has been very slow. Several people have posted to it saying that they are on the cruise, but they don't come back and post. I've tried to stir things up, but get very little response. Our cruise is still just over 3 months away, so I'm hoping things will pick up as the cruise gets closer.

My reasons are really weird--I readily admit that, lol ... :rolleyes:

I am reluctant to post on the roll call threads because I tend to be shy and a little reclusive, and probably wouldn't attend any "get togethers" (whether I do or not depends on how I feel that day and has nothing to do with the people involved, lol). Posting, but not choosing to join any get togethers seems slightly rude of me, so I just don't post. I often do read my roll call threads though.

I did post on one once, and did actually go to a get together, but was really out of my element and uncomfortable the whole time, again, not because of the people, but mostly because of my shyness. I can talk a mile a minute to a close friend, but put me with someone I don't know and suddenly I haven't a thing to say! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I enjoy meeting people most of the time, but probably would do better one on one, as often happens to us while dining.

Hi Sherry....I probably post the most on our roll call. Don't give folks a chance to "be quiet". One of our crew says he just logs on to CC, goes to his favorite posters...I haven't figure that out yet, and checks to see what I have posted to be sure and keep up!! We have had a good time sharing what excursions we are taking, whether we are getting to Vancouver early, what we are doing there, and how we are getting to Anchorage airport. Its been a lot of fun and we have a place and time arranged to meet, if we don't run into each other while we wait to board. You are welcome to visit our board if you like, since you are on the Spirit a month later. I have "visited" some of the other boards, and am amazed how little people have planned. I want to have as few decisions as possible to have to make after we leave, so we can enjoy the experience. All I want to decide is what to pick off the menu every night!! We have 49 days to sail away!!

Help me understand, please, there might really be a good reason, why everyone does not post in their roll call? Every ship is huge, well most of them are, but even the smaller ships, there are still a lot of folks hitting the docks all at once. So with that many people and that many ships, and starting may the numbers are staggering, so why do the roll calls only have a handfull of people? Just go to the ROLL CALLS forum. Find your ship line, click, then find your sailing, just in case someone has already posted it, if not, you post it. We are June 10 on the Spirit. There are about 20 of us. Of course, if there is a threat to doing this, something to fear, from someone on CC who might not be what they are showing them to be, well, gee, then I am taking a risk. Check it out...you don't have to post until you read a few posts and see if you feel comfortable.....

I wish I knew. When we cruised the Baltic a couple of years ago, we had a very active roll call, and we're still in touch with some of the people we met there--in fact, we'll be cruising to Alaska this summer with a family from England we "met" on the roll call (and later in person, obviously). But the roll calls for the two cruises to Alaska we're doing are pretty slow. I know there are plenty of people cruising to Alaska who read these boards....

for our alaska cruise, we had 12...8 showed up for the M&G.

you do have to remember, of the 2,000 people on your cruise..there may be only the 20 that are members of this site. most people don't know about CC.

you do have to remember, of the 2,000 people on your cruise..there may be only the 20 that are members of this site. most people don't know about CC.

The sad reality is that MANY people barely know what they've bought. I've been asked such things as when we get to Glacier Bay when we're on an itinerary that doesn't go to GB.

I book my cruise and then look for a roll call and join it as soon as possible or start one if there isn't one already started.

I have met many friends on my roll calls. Still have 2 active roll call going from past cruises one NCL and the other RCI and I stay in e-mail touch with a few others from past sailings all lines.

Just imagine, thousands and thousands of people, probably millions, that cruise everywhere, and don't know about Cruise Critic. Its been so long, I don't even remember how I found the site...but so glad I did. There is no doubt in my mind, the things i have learned here will add to the enjoyment of the trip.

My reasons are really weird--I readily admit that, lol ... :rolleyes:

I am reluctant to post on the roll call threads because I tend to be shy and a little reclusive, and probably wouldn't attend any "get togethers" (whether I do or not depends on how I feel that day and has nothing to do with the people involved, lol). Posting, but not choosing to join any get togethers seems slightly rude of me, so I just don't post. I often do read my roll call threads though.

I did post on one once, and did actually go to a get together, but was really out of my element and uncomfortable the whole time, again, not because of the people, but mostly because of my shyness. I can talk a mile a minute to a close friend, but put me with someone I don't know and suddenly I haven't a thing to say! :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I enjoy meeting people most of the time, but probably would do better one on one, as often happens to us while dining.

I'm just like you (probably much worse)! I'm so shy it took me months to even join Cruise Critic and 4 months of being a member before posting my first message!:o I wish that I was more outgoing but I've accepted the fact that I'm an introvert and just don't do well in social situations, especially when there are a lot of people I don't know. That's also why I exclusively choose Freestyle or Personal Choice dining! :)

Don't worry, your reasons are not weird and you're not alone! :)

The sad reality is that MANY people barely know what they've bought. I've been asked such things as when we get to Glacier Bay when we're on an itinerary that doesn't go to GB.

you are right, that is very sad! what was the reaction when you told them?

as far as roll calls, it's like upgrades..we hear so much about them, on CC, that we build them up more then we should.

We started one about 6 months out. We had 2 other posters, 8 posts and 168 views. A couple of days ago it fell off the edge of the earth.... Its still on the server but they only show 2 pages. It still comes up if you click the link in my signature. Under the guise of a news update, I bumped it once but I hate to do that. I figured if nobody wasn't any more interested... :( I'll give a while and either bump it again or start a new one 90 days or so out. ;)

A co-worker cruised to Alaska last summer....I asked what tours he took now that we're planning our trip. He said he didn't take any tours....& he couldn't really remember where they had stopped (what ports). He did say that they saw a glacier but he couldn't remember which one and since they had seen a glacier from the ship they didn't bother going to any (like Mendenhal) while in port.

I have spent months planning this trip..........I couldn't help but feel he had missed so much of what traveling and touring is all about.........He had about 2 dozen pictures (mainly from inside the ship) that he shared of his cruise. (in comparison my family went to Seabrook Island for 4 days over Easter and took 225 pictures).

I find it so enjoyable to talk and read here about others who enjoy the planning and touring process as much as I do.

Judy

Wow...Judy, I can relate. I have a co-worker at another store that is on a different ship line leaving the end of July. I have tried to engage her in a conversation about the trip, to no avail. They have no excursions, planned, not sure where they are going. She said they would find something onboard ship, because "thats what most people do". Its been a long year in waiting, and the time I have spent on here has been fantastic. I have learned so much, saved tons, and shared most of it with my sister. She started a blog for us so she could send the site to the rest of the family that is going, because she could only forward so much of the tons of stuff i sent to her. Her MIL, who is also going, remembered to book one of the excursions that we had planned, but sister forgot to book!! Keeping in touch and planning has kept "all our ducks in a row"!!

Pauma, that's so funny b/c I also have a co-worker cruising the Serenade to Alaska a few weeks before me and got the same response when I tried to discuss her planning. Granted, this was her husb's idea not hers but she literally hasn't the foggiest idea about even basics like it might get chilly even though it's June.

I have chalked it up to me being an obsessive planner. I just need to know if people prefer the port side or the starboard side and if they liked the MDR's coffee !!! :o

Roll Calls:

I am finding quite a few people check out the roll calls but don't post. I think they are afraid to commit to an online relationship. I understand this. But it's also nice to discuss your plans w/ others who can relate, that's why I do post.

I thought you needed at least 25 people to have a Meet & Mingle?

Pauma, that's so funny b/c I also have a co-worker cruising the Serenade to Alaska a few weeks before me and got the same response when I tried to discuss her planning. Granted, this was her husb's idea not hers but she literally hasn't the foggiest idea about even basics like it might get chilly even though it's June.

I have chalked it up to me being an obsessive planner. I just need to know if people prefer the port side or the starboard side and if they liked the MDR's coffee !!! :o

Roll Calls:

I am finding quite a few people check out the roll calls but don't post. I think they are afraid to commit to an online relationship. I understand this. But it's also nice to discuss your plans w/ others who can relate, that's why I do post.

I thought you needed at least 25 people to have a Meet & Mingle?

I don't expect others to be as obsessive as I am, but I was surprised when a coworker of mine didn't even know the line he was sailing on, let alone the name of the ship!

Our TA hates cruise critic...not sure why but she brings it up every time we go to a cruise show with them...I love it...we have had great turn outs on both of our RCCI cruises...I will say that our upcoming Celebrity cruise has fewer members than our previous cruises but it has picked up a bit now that we are closer to our sail date...there are 53 of us signed up for the "party". I have enjoyed getting to know our fellow cruisers before hand. Last year we met with two couples from our roll call and had dinner in Galveston the night before the cruise and had a great time getting to know them...have a great cruise...Jim

I've been thinking the same thing. I've read some REALLY active roll calls and it always seems like so much fun. When I first found CC there was a roll call for my sailing and the two ladies I encountered had beautiful spirits and were sooo helpful. I was all excited but then, wham-mo, the roll call disappeared after the two of them decided to change ships / sail dates. While I am also shy, I LOVE LOVE LOVE meeting new people. You just never know who you will encounter. AMAZINGLY, I've never chatted online however, I feel safe here and the people are so friendly. Even when they're flaming someone:eek:. I am grateful for this place because I've learned so much about ships, destinations, and excursions. DH thinks I'm a pro but I am always careful to give you guys full credit. Thx so much to all of you. We should come up with a way to improve our roll calls. Our sailings would be so much more fun! We need to put on our thinking caps.

While my husband does the majority of the posting for us on the Roll Call, we've already made several friends and have even linked reservations with two couples so we can be seated together in the dining room, and made reservations with another couple to eat at Chops. We also made plans to split a fishing excursion with another couple. We love it! I know some people don't go on vacation to meet new people but just to relax and be with their family so I understand not becoming BFF's :D but just the information for planning your trip, sharing transportation, etc is great. Everyone should join Cruise Critic and their Roll Call!!!

Well I am totally obsessive about trip, cruises, whatever we take. If I am going to spend our money on something I want to know where it is going. I am especially obsessive about cruises (and other vacations). We are going on RCCL in Aug. I booked the tour back in Oct. and had been reading things on here before that. We are doing our own week long tour before and 2 days in Vancouver afterwards. I do not work because I have fibromaylgia and so have a lot of time on my hands. My husband is a SS attorney and works out of our home, whenever he comes back in the bedroom I am on the laptop reading, researching, makeing notes whaterver about the cruise. He says I am going to know more about the cruise, where we are going, the history, etc. than anyone on the ship. But for me that is half the fun of the vacation, to read and prepare and plan. Then we sit down for dinner and I tell him what I have found out or learned that day and I keep him interested by showing him pictures of wildlife and scenery that I have found on line. I make list of everything that people talk about needing or doing, I have so many Alaskan websites saved on my favorites, that I can't count them all. I have been ordering waterproof shoes and jackets, etc. Bought new binoculars (ours were way old).

Even with all the planning and prepareing I have done, I don't know if we would go to a meet and mingle. I have been on our roll call and can write about things(because I am so excited about it)but don't know if we would sign up and go to the meet and mingle. My husband and I are both kinda shy in groups of people that we don't know.

We're on the Star Princess August 2 sailing. Our roll call is so dead I have to wonder if the cruise has been cancelled or if we have the ship to ourselves. It's true that the vast majority of the people do not know about CC. However, anyone (and that includes just about EVEYONE) with internet access could simply stumble across the site.

This topic is very interesting. I have been disappointed that our upcoming Alaska cruisetour hasn't had much discussion going so have to going to the Ports forum to get and share (when possible) information. One can still feel anonymous in most forums but posting in a particular roll call may just seem too familiar to some.

Sandy

I am a planner. I could not imagine planning a cruise without the aid of this website. We have been on 3 cruises with 2 more booked. Though this is the first cruise that I actually became a member and posted anything, we have utilized this site for all but the first one. (the first cruise was a spur of the moment thing and didn't know any better.) Live and learn! We went into our first cruise with our eyes closed basically and still completely enjoyed it though I feel as though we would have gotten more out of it if we would have known about cc.

I did join the roll call and check it daily and probably post about daily for our cruise to Alaska in July. I have placed a post on the one we have scheduled for Jan. 2010, but I want to wait and see how this one goes before I become too active with the other one. So far the roll call is for our Alaska cruise is pretty slow, but we have a few people that post to keep it going and they sound fabulous! Maybe it's because they are just as excited about it as I am! We are having fun talking about the most minute details such as our packing list!! I would love to see more people join so we can have a nice sized gathering on the ship. But as another poster has said, maybe not that many people on any given cruise actually know about cc. It's their loss! But thats ok, saves more of the secrets for us!

Archived