How do cruise ships age ... ?

helenandfrank

... as in, how long before they start to show their age. These are hardly earth shattering problems, but we are booked on the Sky for May 2019 (Iceland) and are thinking of booking Empires of the Med for June 2019 with a week in between. We have other plans in 2018 which prevent us from cruising next year. Of course by 2019 the Star will be 4 years old (compared to the Sky which will be only 2 years old). For those of you more experienced in all matters cruising, is it likely we will notice a difference ? What do cruise lines do (or more specifically, any idea what Viking will do) to keep the Star 'modern' and up to date ? Are these things even worth worrying about ? ... the itinerary, departure date' and length of the Empires cruise is perfect so I assume the advice I will get is - just book it !

Nevertheless I am interested in any thoughts on the likely comparison between a 2 year old Viking ship and a 4 year old Viking ship and interested to know what cruise lines do to avoid unflattering comparisons between ships of different ages. Thank you, Seasons Greetings to all.

Well, we were on the Star in 2015 and again this year (2017). I couldn't see any difference, but then of course it was only a two year difference.

We loved our 2015 Empires of the Med cruise, although it was a bit different, as cruise lines were still going to Istanbul, so that was on our itinerary. However, the other places we went were fabulous, and I found the cruise to be a nice mix of big cities and smaller cities.

Nevertheless I am interested in any thoughts on the likely comparison between a 2 year old Viking ship and a 4 year old Viking ship and interested to know what cruise lines do to avoid unflattering comparisons between ships of different ages. Thank you, Seasons Greetings to all.

I know you asked the question in all earnestness but honestly I can't stop laughing. In addition to cruising Viking Oceans, we also go on Azamara and Royal Caribbean. We just got off the wonderful Azamara Quest...a ship that was built in 2000. I must say that 17 years of cruising hasn't dulled the grandeur and charm of Quest. On Royal Caribbean, one of our favorite ships is Jewel of the Seas, which first sailed in 2004. Again, another lovely ship which we take great pleasure in being on.

The two year blip you're talking about in ages of Viking's ships is, well what can I say? Like the proverbial drop in the ocean in terms of ship lifespan and usefulness. Cruise ships are maintained to rigorous standards and updated at the years pass. As another poster said, ships like Star and Sky are both considered brand new. I don't think you have anything to worry about. Book the itineraries you like and enjoy...on either ship. We've been on both Star in 2016 and Sea in 2017 and they looked the same to me. In the nicest kind of way.

... as in, how long before they start to show their age. These are hardly earth shattering problems, but we are booked on the Sky for May 2019 (Iceland) and are thinking of booking Empires of the Med for June 2019 with a week in between. We have other plans in 2018 which prevent us from cruising next year. Of course by 2019 the Star will be 4 years old (compared to the Sky which will be only 2 years old). For those of you more experienced in all matters cruising, is it likely we will notice a difference ? What do cruise lines do (or more specifically, any idea what Viking will do) to keep the Star 'modern' and up to date ? Are these things even worth worrying about ? ... the itinerary, departure date' and length of the Empires cruise is perfect so I assume the advice I will get is - just book it !

We where on the Star the first year (V Homeland) 2015) and then last Fall 2016 ( Caribbean ) , then the Viking Sea April 2016 and now the Sun WC . I find that the ships actually improve with age. The crew gets to know their ships better, gain pride in their ships, clean some of the shipyard dust off, so I must say they improve with age .

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Thank you for the post Eaches. I am glad I asked the question even though in hindsight it seems a little silly. We are reassured and have booked a second cruise for 2019 (Sky and Star). Travel safely.

We are thinking of the 2019 WC - a lot of sea days but we get to see South America and Africa. Will keep informed.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums