Renewal of Vows aboard HAL ships

ViolaSwamp

Only problem with a surprise is packing the clothes you are going to wear for your ROV..I took

a dress which I wore to our Son's wedding & DH was in his TUX.. Since HAL no longer has formal nights & Gala nights are less dressy would your bride be comfortable in the clothes she packs for the cruise..

If I could have I would have tried to surprise DH but how to get his TUX packed was a concern, so I ended up asking him..He jumped at the chance & packed his TUX..

Now if she has a special dress that she enjoys wearing you could try to sneak them in a suitcase, but don't forget her shoes & Jewelry..

Good luck & know you will have a lovely time..:D

Thanks.. We like to dress formal for Gala nights anyway, and DW has a few different special dresses she can choose from to pack for that. I'll pack my dark suit, shirts and ties. We can use these outfits for the Gala nights and our ROV. This way, our packing for the cruise hopefully won't tip her off about the ROV.. ;) :)

Thanks.. We like to dress formal for Gala nights anyway, and DW has a few different special dresses she can choose from to pack for that. I'll pack my dark suit, shirts and ties. We can use these outfits for the Gala nights and our ROV. This way, our packing for the cruise hopefully won't tip her off about the ROV.. ;) :)

Terrific..Please come back & tell us all about it, & don't forget to have your pics taken before hand, if they offer that, unless you are sure that your DW will not be in tears..:D:D

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Terrific..Please come back & tell us all about it, & don't forget to have your pics taken before hand, if they offer that, unless you are sure that your DW will not be in tears..:D:D

Have a wonderful cruise!!

Thanks so much, and oh yes, DW will be in tears...guaranteed! :D

• 8 months later...

We are thinking of doing this on our next cruise in January. Does anyone know what would happen if it was planned at a time when we were on a shore excursion? From reading the comments it sounds as though it is usually on a sea day, but not always.

We are thinking of doing this on our next cruise in January. Does anyone know what would happen if it was planned at a time when we were on a shore excursion? From reading the comments it sounds as though it is usually on a sea day, but not always.

Wonderful experience, and highly recommend it. We did this on our recent Oosterdam sailing to Mexico. The event will be based on the Captain's schedule, and you won't find out when it will be until after you board. You'll receive a personal invitation in your cabin advising you of the time and location of the event.

Ours was on a port day (Cabo San Lucas), but was scheduled for after all passengers were required to be back aboard the ship; in our case 6:00pm. I really doubt they would schedule the ceremony for a time when passengers are likely to still be ashore or when the ship sponsored shore excursions were still out. They'll also schedule your PG dinner for that same evening after the ceremony, but I suppose you could change your PG reservation if you wanted to.

Hope you decide to do it, as it was definitely the highlight of our cruise!

I arranged a ROV for my parents fiftieth during a September 2017 family cruise to Alaska. Only my Dad knew about it in advance and he proposed to my Mom just before the ceremony while we were enjoying a drink in my cabin.

We (8 guests besides my parents) received invites the day before to let us know the day. They told me it would not be on a gala night since the captain is busy with other things on these nights.

Everyone told me it would be a group event with other couples but despite 3 other couples renewing, everyone received an individual ceremony. Started with champagne and heavy hors d'eouvres and a private chat with Captain MacBeth (handsome Scottish captain!) and the cruise director, Erin Duffey, for at least 20 minutes. We got to ask them all kinds of questions about ship life, their backgrounds and how they came to be in the cruise business.

Then we went into a private room, the Captain conducted the ceremony, there were lots of pictures taken and even a cake cutting and then hugs all around.

Besides my Mom's complete surprise and delight, it is something we will always remember because Captain MacBeth and the cruise director Erin were welcoming, friendly and we never felt rushed.

Although we may have been extra lucky to get such personal attention and an individual ceremony, this is something HAL did RIGHT!

Completely agree!

One other opportunity if you wanted is to do your ROV at the Chapel on Half Moon. Especially nice if you have family. My DH is still wondering why anyone would want to do a ROV, as (very, very lucky me) he said he already promised once, and it was forever. We and our sons, daughters-in-law and 4 grandchildren are on the NA next March to celebrate our 50th. Enjoy your experience!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We renewed our vows on a 15 day to Hawaii a few years ago. We were told that it was up to the Captain as to whether he performed them as a group or privately. Ours were all private but there was a group reception held afterwards. It was lovely and I would do it again. Every one of the couples (I believe there were 4 or 5 along with us) said that it was truly special. Ours happened to fall on a formal night but given that it was a longer cruise, we had 6 formal nights, so the odds were good.

HAL tries to hold the ROV event on formal/gala nights, so everyone will be dressed up.

HAL tries to hold the ROV event on formal/gala nights, so everyone will be dressed up.

Our recent ceremony on Oosterdam was held on a 'smart casual' evening after a port visit in Cabo San Lucas Mexico.

Even though the evening attire that night was smart casual, we dressed up anyway for our event to make it even more special for us. DW and I were also given corsages to either hold or pin to our clothing. DW held hers, and I had mine pinned to the lapel of my jacket. :)

• 2 weeks later...
I am happy this post was reenergized. I have beed considering a ROV for our 30th in April... (now I just have to figure out a way to talk my DH in to it...) ;)

SaveSave

Why not just book it and make it a surprise for him! I made it a surprise for DW on our recent sailing, and she loved it.

Hope you decide to do it, it was a very memorial event for us!