Night Sky viewing telescopes OFFICIALLY confirmed!

azlew

I just heard from Jean-Michel Cousteau's Ocean Futures Society and they stated :

"YES I can re-verify that the star gazing program still exists and it is on our program schedule for every cruise from June 1 - through August."

So check out their telescope(s). Just another attraction we all have to look forward to!

Wendy they told me they pick and choose their times and nights based on predicted conditions. The nice thing about advanced telescopes they will automatically readjust based on conditions via their motors. They claim they post in the on board newsletter everyday when and if they will have the night sky viewing. I am surprised the more experienced PG travelers here haven't experienced this before. We have 10 nights so hopefully we can have one night to do this.

Looking through a telescope at the skies in French Poly will be something we have never experienced and will certainly have a different view from what we see here.

It's a nice add-on to what looks like truly a great adventure!

Edited by azlew

Wendy they told me they pick and choose their times and nights based on predicted conditions. The nice thing about advanced telescopes they will automatically readjust based on conditions via their motors. They claim they post in the on board newsletter everyday when and if they will have the night sky viewing. I am surprised the more experienced PG travelers here haven't experienced this before. We have 10 nights so hopefully we can have one night to do this.

Looking through a telescope at the skies in French Poly will be something we have never experienced and will certainly have a different view from what we see here.

It's a nice add-on to what looks like truly a great adventure!

They only do the viewings while at anchor. The telescopes are large, low-tech Dobsonian style. They are very easy to use and lots of aperture for the $$

Enjoyed the telescopic views from the PG but if you can't make it to one of them, recommend asking at reception for a current star chart and take a look topside yourself. The open sky is incredible. A dazzling milky way on view in Rangiroa ranks high in PG memories.

.....but if you can't make it to one of them, recommend asking at reception for a current star chart and take a look topside yourself. The open sky is incredible. A dazzling milky way on view in Rangiroa ranks high in PG memories.

Thanks for that great tip!!

• 1 month later...
The Starwalk app has worked great on the ship.

Is the Starwalk app dependant on an internet connection to correct for position? Or do you put in coordinates or location country/city direct into it?

Is the Starwalk app dependant on an internet connection to correct for position? Or do you put in coordinates or location country/city direct into it?

No internet needed. I just pointed my phone at the sky and it worked. I don't pretend to understand why!

No internet needed. I just pointed my phone at the sky and it worked. I don't pretend to understand why!

I just read up on it and it apparently uses GPS and you start by pointing it to the North? Sounds interesting.