Upgrade after final payment?

flyguy909

Hello.. I booked the 4/9/17 BA cruise a week ago and got a nice aft facing balcony. But now am thinking of switching to a spa balcony because the wife and I will make good use of the fitness center and she would probably really enjoy the spa as an extension of that. Also might be a heck of alot more convenient than the daily walk from the aft balcony room.

So went in to check on the upcharge to switch and was surprised to find out that prices have gone up since I booked. Seeing as my final payment date is Dec 30th... and assuming that prices will not come down before then, will it be possible to make a switch after final payment if/when prices start to come down?

Hello.. I booked the 4/9/17 BA cruise a week ago and got a nice aft facing balcony. But now am thinking of switching to a spa balcony because the wife and I will make good use of the fitness center and she would probably really enjoy the spa as an extension of that. Also might be a heck of alot more convenient than the daily walk from the aft balcony room.

So went in to check on the upcharge to switch and was surprised to find out that prices have gone up since I booked. Seeing as my final payment date is Dec 30th... and assuming that prices will not come down before then, will it be possible to make a switch after final payment if/when prices start to come down?

I have always had success doing this... *IF*the new category costs more than what I originally paid. Doesn't have to be much more... just more.

Edited by TifffanyD

I wouldn't give up that balcony for the spa. I would buy a pass for your wife or both of you.

ETA: An aft balcony also sets you up for an upgrade since it is a very desirable cabin. I would hold onto it and see if you can get into a HAVEN spa suite. I'd give up the balcony for the haven.

Edited by strykes

i wouldn't give up that balcony for the spa. I would buy a pass for your wife or both of you.

Eta: An aft balcony also sets you up for an upgrade since it is a very desirable cabin. I would hold onto it and see if you can get into a haven spa suite. I'd give up the balcony for the haven.

this^ :-)

Edited by boopsahoy

I upgraded several times on a recent TA cruise after final payment date. The prices were falling everyday and each time the next highest category dropped to being equal or lower than what we paid I sent an email to our PCC and was upgraded. Inside to Porthole to Balcony to Mini-Suite.

I am surprised you were able to do that. I have also upgraded after final payment when better categories dropped to what I already paid...however, I was advised that I could only do this one time before departure.

So it becomes a gamble...wait for a better deal to come along, but wait too long, and nothing better is available....

IF the prices come down, and that is not likely the week before easter, then you could possibly do this. In all likelihood your prices are going to stay exactly where they are or go up as your cruise gets closes.

I am surprised you were able to do that. I have also upgraded after final payment when better categories dropped to what I already paid...however, I was advised that I could only do this one time before departure.

So it becomes a gamble...wait for a better deal to come along, but wait too long, and nothing better is available....

It is a gamble if you start off hoping or planning for an upgrade. You have to be satisfied with the cabin you first book. We would have been fine with the Inside for the price we paid. I was a little surprised myself but they did it.

Sometimes cabin prices go UP too. Recently, I saw that prices had dropped on Haven Spa Suites on the Breakaway. I was able to upgrade from a Spa mini suite and save $1000 from the original Haven price. A week later the prices were right back to where they were originally. It's like playing the stock market! [emoji6]

Sent from my iPad using Forums

I noticed that prices for my Jan 02nd, 2017 Breakaway cruise have come down significantly since I submitted full payment back in August. So a few moments ago I contacted Explorer Cruise Travel (my booking agency that I usually book cruises with).

I briefly explained the situation. She called up NCL, put me on hold and a few minutes later was able to move us from the BD Balcony Cabin to the MB Mid-Ship Mini-Suite with Balcony GTY.

No additional charge and I keep my promos, credits, Shareholder benefit & reservations.

So if you are wondering if you should try to see if an upgrade is available, i believe the answer should be YES. Call now!