Scandinavia cruise experts only please

Welcome to Cruise Critic! If you'd like to participate on our forums by joining in the conversation, please Register Now! Be sure to visit our FAMOUS Roll Call forums, where you can meet other cruisers sailing with you and share a tour or shore excursion and SAVE MONEY!

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Northern Europe & Baltic Sea
Aarhus, Bergen, Copenhagen, Gdansk, Greenland, Helsinki, Oslo, Reykjavik, Riga, St. Petersburg, Stockholm, Tallinn
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 09:34 PM.
6,841 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
I was wondering if there were a few of you experts that have done these cruises to tell me what there is to do near and around the ports that you come to. I really don't want to take a tour everywhere we are going, so I am hoping that you can provide some insight as to anything to do near the ports. We are planning on doing a tour in St. Petersburg, but here are the rest of the stops:

Copenhagen
Stockholm
Helsinki
Tallinn
Klaipeda, Lithuania

Any helpful hints as to how to do some things on our own is greatly appreciated.

thanks a lot!!!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The world is a great place… You should see it!

May 17, 2018 - Back with my buddies on the Constellation!

Save
Save

Save
Save
New York
1,690 Posts
Joined Sep 2005
Have you tried Rick Steves' book on Scandinavia. It does walking tours in almost every port as well as how to get around if you want to travel outside of the city. I'm finding it helpful. Also you can buy a CD by John Lawrence who is the cruie director on Princess. We're cruising in august and both have given me great suggestions. Edna
Boston MA
6,111 Posts
Joined Dec 2006
The following three threads are a good starting point for your research:
Bollinge's review
http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=186310

Scott Cyn's review: http://www.cruisecritic.com/memberre...?EntryID=26453

Boo'sMom's review: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=380651

Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
"Caminante no hay camino, se hace camino al andar." Antonio Machado
Expand for links to links to photos and more.
The high value put upon every minute of time, the idea of hurry-hurry as the most important objective of living, is unquestionably the most dangerous enemy of joy Herman Hesse

Click on the links below for photos

AT SEA: 1983/NCL Caribbean ~ 1985/Premier DisneyWorld+Cruise ~ 1997/NCL Alaska ~ 2000/Renaissance Istanbul to Athens ~ 2001/Celebrity Horizon Southern Caribbean ~ 200?/NCL Boston to Bermuda ~ 2005/Celebrity Zenith Central America/Western Caribbean ~ 2006/RCCL L.A. to Ensenada ~2007/Celebrity Century Scandinavia & Baltic Capitals ~2009/Celebrity Infinity South America around the Horn ~ 2016/Viking Sea Midnight Sun ~ 2016/Viking Sea NYE on the Med

RIVER DAYS: 2010/Viking River Cruises "China's Cultural Delights" ~ 2013/Viking "Footsteps of the Cossacks" ~ 2015/Viking "Passage to Eastern Europe"

Save
Sweden
959 Posts
Joined Nov 2002
Here is a link to another thread that may be helpful. It is not a review but the research John and Betty did before their Baltic cruise in 2005. Click on ”Photos” in one of their posts and you will find maps for the ports they visited, with the main sights marked. Also the links to more information on each sight. Some links may be out of date by now, I haven’t tried them. But I think the maps are very helpful when you want to plan what to do in each port.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=97421
6,841 Posts
Joined Sep 2004
Thank you so much everyone! I will check out the links!
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
The world is a great place… You should see it!

May 17, 2018 - Back with my buddies on the Constellation!

Save
Save

Save
Save
Calabasas, CA, USA
11,709 Posts
Joined Dec 2002
Originally posted by hylasgirl
Copenhagen
Stockholm
Helsinki
Tallinn
Klaipeda, Lithuania
Any helpful hints as to how to do some things on our own is greatly appreciated.
We've been to Copenhagen a couple of times for multiple days (one pre-cruise and one port stop with overnight)...I love the canal boats...the ships offer them, but you can also pick them up on your own at very reasonable prices at Nyhavn or Gammel Stam...Stroll down the Stroget (Shopping/walking street) on your own...We went on our own to the Glyptotek Museum--a surprisingly good art museum...Don't bother with Tivoli (crowded and boring)...All is walking distance from the port, though there may be free shuttles as well, depending on the cruise line...

Stockholm...Grab a cab over to the Vasa Museum--don't miss it...Then come back and wander the old town area...

Helsinki...we grabbed the rather cheap hop-on, hop-off tour--there is a kiosk on the Esplinade where you can buy tickets...spend some time at the three "top" churches--the Lutheran Cathedral, the Russian Cathedral and the "Rock" Church...

Tallinn...There is a very good "walking tour" outlined in Rick Steve's Scandinavia book...We did it and found we were visiting the same places as the ship's walking tour...but without the crowd and at our own pace...and we were able to stop for a coffee at "Bar Havana" and stop in shops along the route as well...

I haven't been to Klapeida yet...

Good luck...
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Next:
12/22/17 RCCL Navigator OTS-S Caribbean 9 nt
6/29/18 Celebrity Millennium-Alaska-7 nt
7/18/18 Viking Aegir-E. Europe-13 nt

7/8/19 Celebrity Reflection British Isles 12 nt

HAL Maasdam 7 nt Canada 7/17*RCCL Jewel OTS 7 nt Greece 7/17*RCCL Jewel OTS 7 nt W Med 6/17*Ruby Princess 8 nt Mex Riviera 12/16*Celebrity Constellation 13 nt Iberia 7/16*Celebrity Silhouette 7 nt W. Carib 3/16*Star Princess 5 nt Cabo 11/15*Celebrity Xpedition 10 nt Galapagos/Quito 7/15*Celebrity Millennium 7 nt Alaska 6/15*Crown Princess 3 nt Baja 1/15*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/14*Viking Emerald 17 nt China 6/14*RCCL Allure OTS 7 nt E. Carib 1/14*Golden Princess 3 nt Baja 11/13*Celebrity Silhouette 13 nt Adriatic 6/13*RCCL Mariner OTS 7 nt W. Carib 12/12*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Iceland/Norway 7/12*Celebrity Century 13 nt Australia/New Zealand 12/11-12*Oceania Marina 16 nt W. Europe 8/11*Carnival Paradise 3 nt Baja 2/11*RCCL Allure OTS 7 nt W. Carib 1/11*Celebrity Eclipse 14 nt Baltic 7/10*Celebrity Summit 7 nt S. Carib 3/10*RCCL Mariner OTS, 7 nt Mex Riviera 1/10*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med/Egypt/Israel 6/09*RCCL Mariner OTS 1 nt Pre-Inaugural 2/09*Sapphire Princess 7 nt Mex Riviera 12/08-9*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt Baltic 7/08*RCCL Vision OTS 7 nt Mex Riviera 3/08*Carnival Liberty, 8 nt Panama 7/07*RCCL Liberty OTS 7 nt W. Caribbean 6/07*RCCL Monarch OTS 5 nt Baja 1/07*Oceania Nautica 14 nt Med 7/06*RCCL Monarch OTS 3 nt Baja 4/06*Celebrity Constellation 14 nt N. Europe 7/05*Celebrity Constellation 7 nt S. Carib 3/05*Celebrity Summit 13 nt Alaska Cruisetour 7/04*RCCL Monarch OTS 3 nt Baja 1/04*Celebrity Millennium 13 nt Med 8/03*RCCL Grandeur OTS 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/02*Crown Princess, 10 nt Baltic/Russia 8/01*Carnival Elation 7 nt Mex Riviera 8/00*RCCL Grandeur OTS 7 nt E. Carib 8/98*Carnival Jubilee 7 nt Mex Riviera 7/97*RCCL Viking Serenade 4 nt Baja 7/96*RCCL Viking Serenade 3 nt Baja 6/94*Norwegian Southward 3 nt Baja 12/89*Premier Big Red Boat Atlantic 7 nt Disney 3/89