NCL didn't post my review so I'm posting it here (Evening Stroll)

applequeen

NCL didn't post my review of the Evening Stroll excursion so I'm posting it here (this is a copy/ paste of the review I submitted there...I copied it into an email I sent myself). I really felt like the experience was lacking (and did not meet the expectation described by NCL). We booked this excursion to make sure we complied with the visa requirements.

We participated in this excursion last week. You should first know that the price of the excursion onboard was $99 ($10 cheaper than prebooking).

You should also know that the actual length of this excursion is closer to 2 hours (I wish I had asked for the exact times we exited and entered the ship so that I would be able to tell you exactly how long it was). I do know that we exited between 7:00 and 7:30 and were back by 9:30. This time also included customs, money exchange, etc.

On the bus to Sloppy Joes (there really was no sightseeing on the bus....really just our guide telling us what to expect on the tour) we were told we would be getting Cuba Libres at the bar and were told that Cuban Coke is sweeter than what we are probably used to. We were told we would receive a "sloppy joe sandwich" and then could order a 2nd drink which could be anything that we wanted (mojitos or beer were suggested).

Once we arrived at the bar we were given watered down Sangria (the bar was mysteriously out of Coke) then a waiter passed around bottles of water. We were brought our sandwiches...these were good.

A few people asked about the second drink....and the guide told them....THE WATER WAS THEIR SECOND DRINK!!! This was NOT what we were told would happen on our way there. The 3-4 people who had asked were allowed to order a beer but barely had time to drink it because we were told it was time to head to the bus. Another tour group was coming in so I'm sure this is why we were rushed.

We were taken to a second bar (where Hemmingway supposedly visited) and given watered down mojitos. I've had better mojitos at Chili's!!!!

We enjoyed the walking tour. Our only complaint was that we really only visited a few spots. It definitely was not as long/ informative as the description implies.

Earlier in the day we did a private old car tour on our own...just us and a driver and a guide. It was wonderful!!! We booked the evening excursion through NCL because 1) it sounded interesting and would visit different areas compared to our private tour. and 2) we wanted to make sure our excursion fit our visa requirements.

We did enjoy the walking tour but really felt that overall price/ value it was a rip off....definitely not the experience that is described.

That Sounds pretty bad,

We went on an evening Bar crawl with the Strawberry tours, cost was a tip. We visited 4 bars, some we ate at, all we drank at. We even danced at one :)

The guides were students, we bought them a few drinks and tipped them CUC 20 each.

Last stop was to be a nightclub, but at 11:30 we were too tired :(

We stopped for some drinks during our Old Car Tours private tour earlier in the day (which was awesome). We are so glad we did the private tour...it was fun and informative and worth every penny! Our regret was that we didn't book an entire day with them!

We had a great trip... it was a very relaxing vacation but I felt that the excursion was a rip off. I realize that NCL may be limited in who they can work with in Cuba. There was a clear difference in the unofficial private tour and the official "government sanctioned" NCL tour group.

Thanks for sharing. My daughter and I will be on the Sky in Nov and were looking at this tour. We plan to do a private car tour during the day but thought this sounded interesting for the evening. We didn't want to do the club/bar NCL tours. Definitely reconsidering now. With whom did you book your private car tour? We are looking at Blexie and Havanacar Tours.

Thanks for sharing. My daughter and I will be on the Sky in Nov and were looking at this tour. We plan to do a private car tour during the day but thought this sounded interesting for the evening. We didn't want to do the club/bar NCL tours. Definitely reconsidering now. With whom did you book your private car tour? We are looking at Blexie and Havanacar Tours.

Old Car Tours Havana https://www.oldcartours.com//

We had a great experience with them. They were extremely professional during the entire process. I also left a review on Tripadvisor (basically the same username so you'll be able to spot it pretty easily)!

I should add that once I noticed the price difference I did go to the excursion desk to ask about it.

The young lady at the desk told me "oh yes, that was the price if you pre-booked".... I replied politely but firmly that I needed the cost adjusted. This was the morning after the excursion and they did adjust my account to reflect the on board cost of $99.

Since it was just my husband and I traveling it was a savings of $20 but I can imagine for a larger party that $10 pp would add up quickly!

I don't typically book cruise line excursions so maybe it's normal for the cost to decrease once on board but it just didn't felt off to me. In most other things there is a cost benefit to pre-booking!

That Sounds pretty bad,

We went on an evening Bar crawl with the Strawberry tours, cost was a tip. We visited 4 bars, some we ate at, all we drank at. We even danced at one :)

The guides were students, we bought them a few drinks and tipped them CUC 20 each.

Last stop was to be a nightclub, but at 11:30 we were too tired :(

We are booked for a Strawberry Havana Nightlife tour next month.

Would love to hear your details about the tour (bars visited, etc.). We’re looking forward to it!

Sent from my iPad using Forums

We are booked for a Strawberry Havana Nightlife tour next month.

Would love to hear your details about the tour (bars visited, etc.). We’re looking forward to it!

It was a 'different' evening.

We met at La Floridita bar prior to the appointed time, had acouple of drinks, took the obligatory photos with Hemmingway statue then proceeded to the meeting point out side of the bar.

We met our guides plus the other guests. There was 4 of us,American/English and about 20 Spanish people on vacation from Spain.

One guide stuck with them, the other with us.

The guides were university students.

The evening consisted of a walking tour around a few Havana bars.

First bar had a tropical theme, expensive tropical style drinks,12 - 15 CUC a go,

2nd bar was an English themed bar, so, so

3rd bar was by far the best. They had a dance demonstration followed by lessons. It was a riot. We spent about an hour here dancing and drinking rum.

4th bar was a live music event, the musicians were amazing, we even purchased a CD from them as a memento.

From here it was off to a nightclub, 'the nightclub with no name' Sounded like a private house with music and drinks.

We passed we were too tired by then. Too many previous latenights.

We lost the Spanish group after the first bar. They were very slow ordering drinks and we decided that they would just slow us down.

We never saw them again.

We tipped the guide 10 CUC each.

It was fun, would I do it again? Probably not. There are plenty ofbars to choose from. Find one you like and settle in.

Everyone is very friendly.

It was a 'different' evening.

We met at La Floridita bar prior to the appointed time, had acouple of drinks, took the obligatory photos with Hemmingway statue then proceeded to the meeting point out side of the bar.

We met our guides plus the other guests. There was 4 of us,American/English and about 20 Spanish people on vacation from Spain.

One guide stuck with them, the other with us.

The guides were university students.

The evening consisted of a walking tour around a few Havana bars.

First bar had a tropical theme, expensive tropical style drinks,12 - 15 CUC a go,

2nd bar was an English themed bar, so, so

3rd bar was by far the best. They had a dance demonstration followed by lessons. It was a riot. We spent about an hour here dancing and drinking rum.

4th bar was a live music event, the musicians were amazing, we even purchased a CD from them as a memento.

From here it was off to a nightclub, 'the nightclub with no name' Sounded like a private house with music and drinks.

We passed we were too tired by then. Too many previous latenights.

We lost the Spanish group after the first bar. They were very slow ordering drinks and we decided that they would just slow us down.

We never saw them again.

We tipped the guide 10 CUC each.

It was fun, would I do it again? Probably not. There are plenty ofbars to choose from. Find one you like and settle in.

Everyone is very friendly.

Thank you so much! There’s quite a few of us from our roll call will be along for the ride, so it should be a good time :)

NCL didn't post my review of the Evening Stroll excursion so I'm posting it here (this is a copy/ paste of the review I submitted there...I copied it into an email I sent myself). I really felt like the experience was lacking (and did not meet the expectation described by NCL). We booked this excursion to make sure we complied with the visa requirements.

We participated in this excursion last week. You should first know that the price of the excursion onboard was $99 ($10 cheaper than prebooking).

You should also know that the actual length of this excursion is closer to 2 hours (I wish I had asked for the exact times we exited and entered the ship so that I would be able to tell you exactly how long it was). I do know that we exited between 7:00 and 7:30 and were back by 9:30. This time also included customs, money exchange, etc.

On the bus to Sloppy Joes (there really was no sightseeing on the bus....really just our guide telling us what to expect on the tour) we were told we would be getting Cuba Libres at the bar and were told that Cuban Coke is sweeter than what we are probably used to. We were told we would receive a "sloppy joe sandwich" and then could order a 2nd drink which could be anything that we wanted (mojitos or beer were suggested).

Once we arrived at the bar we were given watered down Sangria (the bar was mysteriously out of Coke) then a waiter passed around bottles of water. We were brought our sandwiches...these were good.

A few people asked about the second drink....and the guide told them....THE WATER WAS THEIR SECOND DRINK!!! This was NOT what we were told would happen on our way there. The 3-4 people who had asked were allowed to order a beer but barely had time to drink it because we were told it was time to head to the bus. Another tour group was coming in so I'm sure this is why we were rushed.

We were taken to a second bar (where Hemmingway supposedly visited) and given watered down mojitos. I've had better mojitos at Chili's!!!!

We enjoyed the walking tour. Our only complaint was that we really only visited a few spots. It definitely was not as long/ informative as the description implies.

Earlier in the day we did a private old car tour on our own...just us and a driver and a guide. It was wonderful!!! We booked the evening excursion through NCL because 1) it sounded interesting and would visit different areas compared to our private tour. and 2) we wanted to make sure our excursion fit our visa requirements.

We did enjoy the walking tour but really felt that overall price/ value it was a rip off....definitely not the experience that is described.

Overall, last year when I sailed NCL to Cuba, ALL of the NCL excursions were really poor. Guests were loudly complaining to Guest Services, other passengers, about how expensive the tour cost and that it was not as advertised.

I am really sorry you had such a disappointing tour. I'm glad you had a great time on your old car tour. Did you use Old Car Tours? I found them to be amazing. So helpful and I was a solo female cruiser and they took very good care of me and made me feel very safe.

Overall, last year when I sailed NCL to Cuba, ALL of the NCL excursions were really poor. Guests were loudly complaining to Guest Services, other passengers, about how expensive the tour cost and that it was not as advertised.

I am really sorry you had such a disappointing tour. I'm glad you had a great time on your old car tour. Did you use Old Car Tours? I found them to be amazing. So helpful and I was a solo female cruiser and they took very good care of me and made me feel very safe.

It’s sad that this seems to be the norm.

Yes.... Old Car Tours was great!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums