insurance for mandatory emergency evacuation coverage?

beth555

We will soon be booking our trip to the Antarctic and I know we will purchase trip insuance. I went on a number of web sites including insuremy trip and I have a questions. I know you are required by most to purchase emergency evac insurance, most policies I see cover medical evacuation but just in case what if you have to be evacuated due to weather or ship problems. Am I responsible for paying for that type of evacuation?

We will soon be booking our trip to the Antarctic and I know we will purchase trip insuance. I went on a number of web sites including insuremy trip and I have a questions. I know you are required by most to purchase emergency evac insurance, most policies I see cover medical evacuation but just in case what if you have to be evacuated due to weather or ship problems. Am I responsible for paying for that type of evacuation?

I think for a ship problem the ship will be responsible (ie if they evacuate you). try CSA Luxe Web Direct offered on both insuremytrip and squaremouth. We have used both agencys but prefer squaremouth.com

• 2 weeks later...

We used squaremouth.com based on the what the last poster recommended. We bought one policy for basic travel insurance and a medjet evacuation policy for the evacuation to home to a hospital in the U.S. They were very helpful with what policies to purchase given your needs and came up with a reasonable solution for our trip. I called them directly since I like to speak to someone before making a purchase like this. Good luck and hopefully we will never have to use these policies we are buying.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

A ship mate became critically ill involving an emergency air evacuation to Chile. After witnessing the extremely complicated arrangements involving several countries we would never cruise to Antarctica without a minimum of one million dollars trip insurance.

Archived