What's the closest "nice" hotel to the ship in New Orleans?

Kitty34

I have no idea where the ship (Carnival) even docks in New Orleans so have no idea what hotel to chose for the night before? Do any hotels that are close have a shuttle service to the ship?

By "nice" hotel I mean one that might have a pool and things for two teenagers to enjoy the night before.:)

I believe the Hilton is right by the dock.

However, if you've never been to New Orleans before, stay in/near the French Quarter and see the character (and some of the characters) of New Orleans. I'm sure you and your kids will enjoy Cafe du Monde for beignets.

Inexpensive cab ride from FQ to the pier.

The Wyndam Riverfront. Walk out the door, turn right to the corner, cross the street, up the covered walkway of the Riverfront Mall, enter the Mall, exit the back, turn right and walk behind the Convention Center, you are there! No taxi needed; we did it with three roller bags. Five minute walk.

Good Luck!

Kel

We're staying at the Prince Conti Hotel in NOLA - and right now they are offering rooms for $49/night through January! Also, I was told that a cab to the pier is $7 from any of the downtown hotels.

Yes, but $7 per person! I have 4 people.........boo!!!! I wish some of the hotels had free shuttles. Anyway, at least with this board, we know what to expect so we don't have sticker shock.

But the Riverfront itself is basically right next door to the French Quarter (Julia street is two blocks over from Canal, on the other side from the quarter.) There are a bunch of nice hotels, chains and boutiques, right in that area--Hyatt, Hilton, MArriott, etc.

You may still want a cab for dealing with all the curbs, tiny sidewalks, occasional cobblestone, etc.

$7 is the cheapest cab you will find--even to go 2 blocks, that would be minimum charge (not per person--cabs charge by the carload). And that's basically the same price for a very good glass of wine...

Now airport shuttle--that's a different deal altogether.

But the Riverfront itself is basically right next door to the French Quarter (Julia street is two blocks over from Canal, on the other side from the quarter.) There are a bunch of nice hotels, chains and boutiques, right in that area--Hyatt, Hilton, MArriott, etc.

You may still want a cab for dealing with all the curbs, tiny sidewalks, occasional cobblestone, etc.

$7 is the cheapest cab you will find--even to go 2 blocks, that would be minimum charge (not per person--cabs charge by the carload). And that's basically the same price for a very good glass of wine...

Now airport shuttle--that's a different deal altogether.

People who've been there recently have posted that taxis are charging $7 per person from any area hotel to the cruise dock.

Just looked up rates for the Wyndham Riverfront and learned it's closed for renovations until June 2005. I'm currently booked at the Hampton Inn and Suites Convention Center....is that close to the Wyndham Riverfront?

Its close enough. If you are reserved there, that is a nice hotel. I prefer the Hilton Riverside when I am in NOLA, as it is within walking distance of everything and it is quite at night. The quarter rooms tend to be "loud".

Brian

I am interested in a French Quarter Hotel, not expensive. Does such a thing exist or will I have to pay $300 a night as I have found at the Hotel Provencial?:eek:

Depends on when you are going! It can be outragiously expensive to stay in the quarter. The hilton riverside has a cruise deal for 99 that includes a weeks parking. Can't really beat that.

Its close enough. If you are reserved there, that is a nice hotel. I prefer the Hilton Riverside when I am in NOLA, as it is within walking distance of everything and it is quite at night. The quarter rooms tend to be "loud".

Brian

Thank you. One of the reasons I picked the Hampton is because of the free breakfast - 4 people in the family so that helps out, plus they had a good AAA rate and have been getting good reviews on tripadvisor.com. I'm not going until June, and my reservation doesn't have a cancellation fee, so I'm not 100% locked in. I don't need the parking deal at the Hilton, as we are flying in. I was hoping to find a hotel with a shuttle to the pier or that are in walking distance.......if you know of any?

The dock is two blocks west of the Quarter's "edge" along Canal--depending on you start from, it could be very close or a good hike).

On seasonally varying prices, the worst time, of course, is Mardi Gras (Feb. 8th) and the few weeks before; the next worst is Jazzfest during the last two weeks of April (though we have gottne good deals then too). Then summer is less pricy than spring or fall (the heat). The cheapest time is the month of Dec. (aka "Papa Noel rates"), until about the 29th when the Sugar Bowl crowd starts arriving.

On that cab fare: maybe send one person with all the luggage and everyone else walk?

About 7 years ago we did the stay in the FQ and walk to the port. NEVER again. There was an insanely big stairway to maneuver down and it was tough. After that trip my DH said he would never carry my luggage again, so I better be careful what I pack :rolleyes: .

I just discovered I'm arriving during Jazzfest. My cruise departs May 2. A lot of hotels are already full or are wanting almost as much as the cruise cost per person. Anybody have any knowledge of Bon Maison, Drury Inn & suites, or Crescent City Guest House as far as location or free parking?

We got a great deal at the Clarion last year during Jazzfest...was not my very fave place, but right on Canal and certainly acceptable.

Don't forget (if you have to take a cab anyway) that there are places like the Fairfield Inn at Kenner (near the airport), if your main goal for staying over is to not have a delayed flight that makes you miss sailing.

Thank you. One of the reasons I picked the Hampton is because of the free breakfast - 4 people in the family so that helps out, plus they had a good AAA rate and have been getting good reviews on tripadvisor.com. I'm not going until June, and my reservation doesn't have a cancellation fee, so I'm not 100% locked in. I don't need the parking deal at the Hilton, as we are flying in. I was hoping to find a hotel with a shuttle to the pier or that are in walking distance.......if you know of any?

Not sure of any hotels with a free shuttle. We always stay at the Hilton Riverside in NOLA no matter what we are doing. The Hampton is quite nice and it is not far from the terminal. If you do have a lot of stuff to cart, I really like the suggestion that someone else had of loading one person in the cab with everything and everyone else walk.

Brian

Archived