Dream - Cancelling stop in San Juan

Tom-n-Cheryl

The Captain just informed everyone (woke us up, LOL) that he has tried two piers to dock at here, and we are apparently too large to fit at either one! He said something about wires too close and puncturing a life boat -- not sure if he meant that a life boat was damaged, or could be (hey, I was asleep - so I am not sure.. LOL).

FUN DAY AT SEA here we come!

Tom

WOW.......I guess they didn't take the time to confirm that it would fit before hand. :rolleyes:

nice work Carnival...LOL

Thumbs up to the Captain and crew for realizing it before anything bad happened that would have prevented even a fun sea day. :D

Hi,

OMG!! I can't believe that....you'd think they would know that already!! Wow..well too bad your missing San Juan. Enjoy your sea day!!!

Michigan's enjoying blizzard warnings & school closings...oh what fun!! Wish I was enjoying a sea day!!

happy sailing

sue

WOW.......I guess they didn't take the time to confirm that it would fit before hand. :rolleyes:

nice work Carnival...LOL

Thumbs up to the Captain and crew for realizing it before anything bad happened that would have prevented even a fun sea day. :D

It could be something as simple as the tide...

The folks at New York told Carnival the Dream would fit there, as well...

:rolleyes:

Well now we know what the horrible cruise reviews will be when the Dream gets back and how much compensation people will want. At least I won't be tempted to read any, because DREAM HERE WE COME! Just 3 more days after waiting 477. Wonder if they checked out the western piers?

There are at least 4 piers in San Juan. Looks that they didn't try the ones that are being used by Royal Caribbean's ships.

Are you guys back @ sea?

Yep... Independence Of The Seas makes port there and she's larger than the Dream by nearly 100 feet...

:)

but those pesky laws of physics are preventing them from docking at the same pier. :rolleyes::p

They'll have to race and see who gets to the pier first.

"This is your captain speaking, we will be leaving today's port an hour earlier than planned to enable us to arrive in San Juan an hour earlier tomorrow and beat RCL to the GOOD pier. Thank you for your understanding."

Peg

They'll have to race and see who gets to the pier first.

"This is your captain speaking, we will be leaving today's port an hour earlier than planned to enable us to arrive in San Juan an hour earlier tomorrow and beat RCL to the GOOD pier. Thank you for your understanding."

Peg

To funny but how true.....

Bah , you ain't missing much, I call it the Mexico of the Caribbean :eek: :D

What's wrong with Mexico? :confused:

Another blunder for Carnival and the Dream. They've really botched her introduction to the fleet.

they could use the ships boats for tendering. They've done that before.

Or better yet,let my wife park that thing, she can squeeze into some unbelievable spots.

Not knowing the geography of the harbor, I would question whether or not the ship had a good enough anchorage to ride for several hours without too much drift. It's not so simple as "park the ship". If it were, they wouldn't need pilots and what not.

Personally, I don't see the downside. I'd rather the Fun Day at Sea than San Juan, but that's just me.

they could use the ships boats for tendering. They've done that before.

Or better yet,let my wife park that thing, she can squeeze into some unbelievable spots.

The lifeboats??? :eek:

1. is it legal to use them in a non emergency situation and risk damaging one rendering it unusable in an emergency situation.

2. who would pilot them?

The lifeboats???

1. is it legal to use them in a non emergency situation and risk damaging one rendering it unusable in an emergency situation.

2. who would pilot them?

Several of the lifeboats are also designed to be used as tenders. They are larger than the other lifeboats. There are crew-members trained to pilot them.

Not knowing the geography of the harbor, I would question whether or not the ship had a good enough anchorage to ride for several hours without too much drift. It's not so simple as "park the ship". If it were, they wouldn't need pilots and what not.

Actually, with the new ships, it is as simple as "park the ship". They don't need to use anchors to stay in one position. The azipods can be set to keep the ship on one spot with the aid of GPS.

Actually, with the new ships, it is as simple as "park the ship". They don't need to use anchors to stay in one position. The azipods can be set to keep the ship on one spot with the aid of GPS.

And that's assuming the PA at San Juan wants that big sucker sitting in the middle of their harbor idling ...

Lotsa armchair admirals in this thread.

Archived