Cost Fortuna, docking or tendering in Cozumel and Ocho Rios

Middleager

We'll be on Fortuna, March 14/2010 sailing. I called Costa to ask if we'll be docking and tendering.

For Cozumel, the Costa lady said we'll be tendering. It told her several years ago when cozumel's piers were destroyed by hurricane Wilma, ships were tendering until new piers were built. I thought we should be docking. She said no we'll be tendering. Anyone recently on Fortuna can comment? If you docked, which pier did you dock?

For Ocho Rios, the lady said there is a pier, but it only holds one ship, so they don't necessarily dock. Can anyone confirm/comment on that?

I further asked what would be the ship time vs port time. She kept on saying there's no need to know, as we'll find out when we get there. She was not very helpful.

I have docked in Cozumel in March 09 (albiet RCL Granduer of the Seas) It seemed many ships were docked and I do not recall tenders. I thought Wilma was in 08.

the website cruiseclues that may indicate dock or tender. http://cruiseclues.com/portschedules.htm

I am also a person that likes to know in the Caribbean, b/c as an independent snorkeler I like to hit the hot spots before the excursions and docking means I can jump in a cab or on a bus and beat the crowds. Also if you set up an independent activity you want to know when you might be off the ship. I think it is odd they cannot tell you. A lot of the costa stuff has left me scratching my head, but thankfully my cruise w/them is in Europe so I do not need to rush off the ship since things move pretty slow in the AM in my ports of call.

Thanks.

Do you remember which pier in Cozumel you docked at? (There are two)

Wilma was in 2005. About 1.5 yr after it wiped out the piers in Cozumel, they were rebuilt. When I told the Costa lady that piers were rebult in Coz, she still insisted that as far as she knew, Fortuna would be tendering.

Hi Bob

Sounds like you are having a nice time aboard the Fortuna. We will be sailing her 1/31/10 our first time on Costa and really looking forward to it. I was wondering if you could let us know how the weather has been. Last year in Feb we were very cold :( and hope to not be this year.

I´m in Cozumel right now, on the Fortuna. We´re docked, not downtown at Punta Lagosta, a bit to the north.

We were docked in Ocho Rios, at the old bauxite pier around the corner from the main pier.

I found this, showing Fortuna docking at the International pier. There's a 3rd pier, Puerta Maya pier, even further south

http://www.cozumelinsider.com/Cruiseships?From=News

http://www.travelnotes.cc/travelers/cruise.html

Bob, what was the ship time vs port time? (If you remember, for all the ports.) Thanks.

Yes, Cozumel is the International pier a couple of km south of town, I was having a geographically-challenged moment.

Ship changed to Central time for the one day at Cozumel. Note that if you want to go to Tulum on your own, the last morning ferry to the mainland is 11 AM, then not til 1 PM (leaves from downtown).

Nassau, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman were all Eastern time, the ship will change to Atlantic for San Juan and St Thomas after it sails today.

Yes, Cozumel is the International pier a couple of km south of town, I was having a geographically-challenged moment.

Ship changed to Central time for the one day at Cozumel. Note that if you want to go to Tulum on your own, the last morning ferry to the mainland is 11 AM, then not til 1 PM (leaves from downtown).

Nassau, Ocho Rios and Grand Cayman were all Eastern time, the ship will change to Atlantic for San Juan and St Thomas after it sails today.

Thanks Bob. You are providing info that the lady at Costa could not answer. Good to get the answer directly from someone on that ship.

The challenge for me, is Mar. 14 is the day DST begins. So FLL and I guess the ship will start on DST. I have to find out of the 4 ports Nassau, Ocho Rios, and G Cayman will be on DST or EST. And whether Coz will be on CST or CDT.

Archived